Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, got a question for all you who have more than one...

Lucas (10 months) is first dood and Della (almost 5 months) is the newest, been with us 6 weeks. They LOVE each other, play great together, and don't have food issues when being fed... BUT...

Della ALWAYS wants whatever Lucas has. I am okay with this when they play and wrestle for a toy. But she also will take any raw hide or kong that he is chewing on. If there is a pile of 6 kongs... Lucas will have 1 and Della will have 5... This I am cool with, but... she then will go for his!!!

Most of the time he sits back and just watches her. Sometimes, he seems irritated with it, but won't take it back, will just whine a little...

Why does he let her do this? Some times I get irritated and keep either of them from having it...

Should I just let them do this without interference?

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
I don't have two now.........but there was a time that I did have 2 dogs. I always tried to let them work it out themselves. I know that can be difficult. I only jumped in if things got nasty. Like one time my Springer jumped om my weimaraners back to get a pigs ear. It was awful!.........Now that I wouldn't tolerate.
Absolutely DARLING picture!!!!!! :wink:

·
Registered
18 Posts
sooo cute

Hi L and D's mom, I love the pics. I am going to visit Southern Charms this week!!!! to meet the parents of our pending Della-look-alike pup! Carol too.

Maybe Lucas could use a little support from you in getting a toy/stick back until Della learns how to share the toys. She is a toddler after all! Maybe you could take the 6th stick back for Lucas and say something outloud to Della to explain that she has to share. Don't know if this works with dogs the same way it does with kids???

Thanks for introducing me to SC! Mel

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I only have one dog but I can tell you what I do
when the cats have this problem and with nine of them
it does happen..........Alpha female cat thinks every cat toy is hers
and when the other cats who are younger would try to play with something
she would take it from them. At first I used to take it back and it just
became a big fight so I stayed out of it.............As the younger cats got
older they got bigger and learned to challenge her so she now shares
not that she wants to but that is how it worked out. With 2 dogs I would
let them work it out but I would make sure the underdog got extra attention from me and some secret treat or toy giving to boost his self
image so to speak..........

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
in due time the other one will figure out how to get back a toy

I stay out of it, or rather I say" go get another toy" hahahaa
i don't look at it as fair nor do the dogs
it's more like "MY favorite TOY" the minute the other dog has it
(same with little kids) hahhaaaaaaaaaaaaa

so unless they're growling or fighting over it, i leave them to figure things out. part of growing up, them bonding, etc

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Kirby always steals the toys that Dex has...actually he'll take them right from Dex's mouth. Kirby will accumulate a pile of 2-3 or more toys. Dex doesn't seem to care so we just let them work it out. Dex will watch and when Kirby isn't paying attention he'll take a toy back :)

I would let them work it out unless Lucas starts getting upset or it turns to aggression. Dex has become much more mellow and submissive since we got Kirby :)

Oh - the only time we step in is if we give them their high reward chew bones...we make sure Dex gets to have time with his (if Kirby takes it we make him give it back) :)

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I have to agree with the others. There's always got to be a hierarchy when there's more than one of them. I see it in my 5 dogs... and they accept it as perfectly normal.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, I thought I should let them sort it out, but just wanted to hear it I guess! It never gets nasty, just a little whiney... I have even tried, giving Lucas another chew toy after Della steals his, but then we are back to the same routine... she suddenly NEEDS to have his! It's kinda cute, but kinda annoying! Lot's of the time, Lucas WANTS her to steal his treat, so that they can play chase... but sometimes, she's just being... "the little sister" and wanting what BIG BRO has!

sham0006- You are going to LOVE your visit!!! You will have to tell me all about it!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
when I had 2 labbie babies, I let them work it out. Mollyann who was 20 pounds smaller than Heidipooh was Queenbee; she knew and Heidipooh knew it so it worked out fine.
One is always going to be more dominate and as long as there are no fights, I'd let them work it out but if you think it's a problem, you can always say no when Della takes a toy and take it away and give back to Lucas

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Cacao always goes after Beau's toy. Beau has a Ball that he loves. If someone else has it he will give chase. It is funny to watch. But if Cacao is playing to ruff then I step in. Beau normally just gives into her and let her take it. He knows she will stop playing with it and he can get it back. So he is really easy going. I have only had two times that he really wanted it and he would chase her till she gave it back. I would say let them work it out unless it gets out of hand then step in.

·
Registered
146 Posts
They are puppies, so they are still working on their ranks and places in their pack (family).

I would let them work it out or if it gets nasty, then take it away. Since Della is the one taking the toys and she is younger... Lucas may just be letting her do her thing.

LOVE the photo by the way! :wink:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Taryn L said:
LOVE the photo by the way! :wink:
Thanks!

As for the doodles... we are letting them work it out! :lol: :lol: :lol: I am just glad they haven't ever been ugly to each other... she takes it, and he does nothing or whines...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts