Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am new to this forum. I have an 8month old labradoodle. Her name is Layla.
She has been an awesome dog since say 1, although she has had her share of health problems, but they seem to have cleared.
She even had a scare with antifreeze.. (stupid neighbour changed his rad in my parents parking lot...)
Anyways...she has been given clean bill of health finally at 8 months.

Right now, she just started going through a stage of chewing things again. She has chewed christmas lights and a area rug in the last 2 days. She has also had a couple accidents in her crate. I have been kinda sick the last week and a half, so she hasn't had as many walks as usual...could this be it? Will she outgrow this stage?

I will post pics soon

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
HI chucker.......nice to meet you and Layla, wow has been thru a bit but gald to hear she's doing well.

Layla will have sttrong urges to chew between now and 10mos as the adult teeth she's just gotten in need some breaking in so to speak.

Kongs are good, so is a bone called THE TANK made by merrick it's a knuckle bone joint...or marrow bones from a butcher. Make sure you keep an eye on her though to catch her in act of getting other things.
and Yes if her schedule is changed with you not feeling well, they have been known to have a few Attention Getter acts hahahhahaa

if she has any more accidents, you may want to take urine sample to rule out UI (use pie pan to catch it) if u meant meat pee accidents.

looking forward to seeing Layla's pic and welcome.

at 8mos she's like a pre-teen ....they go thru stages :wink:

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Welcome chucker and Layla!!! Is she named after the song?

I can't answer for 8 months yet....mine is only 4 1/2 months. But, it looks like this will be what I have to look forward to as well! :roll:

I find that if I'm not feeling well and don't do regular walks, Bogie gets excitable too. Layla may just be energized and acting out. There's not much we can do on those kind of days. Sometimes, I take Bogie to Puppy Day Care and let him work off the energy there playing if I can't do it or am working.
God Luck and keep us posted!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
There are definitely many phases they go through :) I remember a really good (i.e. bad) one from 10-13 months. The chewing definitely gets more...we bought many non-editable Nylabones and Kong toys. Our doodles love them! I have found as long as they have a good toy to chew on, our boys will leave the furniture alone.

If you are sick, try playing indoor fetch as exercise - it really wears ours out (as much as a walk will).

Please share a photo when you are feeling better :)

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I have been kinda sick the last week and a half, so she hasn't had as many walks as usual...could this be it? Will she outgrow this stage?
A tired doodle is a good doodle. I think you answered your own question. Yes they go through stages and I think we do too. Indoor fetch, training sessions and games like hide and find the toy help to exercise your doodles body and well as the mind.

That's not to say that they don't occasionally get a wild hair and chew something unpredictable...like Tanner chewing my leather boots last month :twisted:

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver went through phases many times.
Which is why I never say he will do this or will not do that.
He is currently 21 months old and is back to being Mr. Perfect
are there more phases to come???????????? Maybe

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
A tired doodle is a good doodle
Truer words were never spoken! I try to get Tyke as much running time in the backyard when we are at home, and if the weather is bad, she loves to play fetch indoors.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone...I took the afternoon off of work. I seem to have caught the worst cold on the planet..haha.
When I came home, she was pretty happy I was home early and had quite a bit of energy, so I sucked it up, and took her for a 30min walk. She's laying there quiet as I type this now...

I can't seem to post pics...I tried putting pics in the gallery and using the tab but it didn't seem to work...
Also, I can't find a picture that's less than 16kb or even close for an avatar. I tried shrinking them and everything, nothing close....

G

·
hahaha don't mean to laugh but Maya just hit 9 mos and has starting chewing things she shouldn't. She never did this as a little puppy! It is most likely a stage along with lack of exercise. I have been told it gets better.

·
Registered
434 Posts
O.K....My Calvin is almost 2 years old now and he STILL chews everyting in sight. Very destructive. Irrigation system, siding from the house, all 8 beds we bought him, ANYTHING left on the floor, drywall, the list goes on.....I am hoping he will " grow out of it", but I am seriously doubting it at this point....

Good Luck!
Leslie

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I got the avatar to work, so that's Layla. I'll try posting pics again soon tho. Still haven't quite nailed that yet.

Thanks for the shrinking pics link.
Glad to hear I'm not the only one with a chewer lol...although I really can't complain..she hasn't turned to shoes or furniture. My ski goggles were the worst so far...haha

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Layla is such a cute Angel.... iam Sure you are mistaken about her chewing anything. Why just look at her cute innocent face. no way! :wink:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Haha...I think she's showing off.

Do you know how to post more pics? I can't seem to get it to work for me yet...I'm usually not too computer illiterate haha

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Do you know how to upload from your PC into Photobucket?
when you've done that....click on the IMG line under the picture and then paste it here on the forum into one of these reply boxes. You can preview it to make sure it worked. Is that what you were doing?
8)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll try to post pics tonight or tomorrow then.
I am actually at work right now, and I can't do it here, but my computer at home has picked up a virus of some sort, and isn't working properly either.
Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Finally

Ok...I know it's been a while, but here are some pics of Layla finally....

Layla as a tiny puppy

layla getting bigger...enjoying the play equipment

this past winter

last week...spring finally (11 months old here)

·
Registered
204 Posts
My Abbey is just about 8months old. She is a mini-fi labradoodle (28lbs) and it takes a lot to wear her out. Today she had a one hour walk and we just had her outside tonight for a long fetch session. We throw the ball half way down the block so she gets a good work out. She still wants more. She has chewed a few things lately. So we got her a new larger kong and some bully sticks. She has a nylabone and chews that sometimes. She love the bully sticks, but we hold those for special occasions. Like when we were watching the Final Four basketball tourney or have company.

Right now she's at the window guarding us from leaves and other strange things.

I'm looking forward to our San Jose Doodle Romp on Saturday. Wonder if that will tire her out????

1 - 20 of 22 Posts