Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Saturday we took our cat to the vet for his checkup. Tanner went along for moral support as the cat won't howl if Tanner is with him.

The vet said that Tanner is due for his rabies next month. Said that they need one at a year after 1st then every other year after that. Is that right?

Then she said Tanner needs to have a complete blood work up ($200+) said they like to do at about a year. Have any of your vets mentioned this?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Rabies shots can be annual or bi-annual. I'm not sure, though, why a healthy dog would need a complete blood workup. Is this just your vet's policy? I suppose they could be screening for any issues but, personally, I would not do this unless there were obvious concerns.

Deb

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
The rabies shot we get is good for three years. The only thing my vet ever asks for is a stool sample once or twice a year. He's never suggested bloodwork.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I think the rabies shots ours have said they were good for 2-3 years. We belong to Petsmart (Banfield) and part of the plan covers 1x bloodwork per year. I don't know if this is normally done thought...

·
Registered
448 Posts
I just looked at Nicky's rabies certificate and the expiration date is exactly one year from the day he had the vaccination. The vaccine he got was "killed virus" made by Pfizer.

I don't know if there are rabies vaccines that are good for longer than a year.

I no longer use that vet, but according to the reminder that is printed on an invoice, at the same time Nicky is due for the rabies vaccine (listed as RABIES CANINE 1 YEAR), he also should have KENNEL COUGH (BRD HERE/W EXAM) and DHLPP ANNUAL VACCINE. I don't know what the BRD HERE/W EXAM means. I'll take Nicky to our new vet for the rabies vaccine and ask about the others when we get there. That will be in mid-January.

Unless there is a specific reason for doing blood work (such as the dog is really sick and it's needed to help diagnose the problem), I wouldn't pay to have it done! $200 is a lot of money!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Our dogs have always had yearly rabies shots and we also do lyme disease and soemthing else, parvo maybe?

Anyhow it's yearly - we have Never had blood work done as a routine thing - only time we had it done was when Mollyann ( one of our choc labs) was acting really wierd, we took her in, did labs and found out she was diabetic, but that was the only time - vet does a stool sample with the yearly visit and unless we have problems we dont go in for a year.

All our dogs have always been on heartworm preventative and we use the k-9 advantix

I'd pass on the lab work unless the Vet can give a darn good reason why they think Tanner needs it - what were they suggesting testing for?

How sweet that Kitty likes to have big brother along - that is so cute !

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
our doodles get annual rabies shot

i had complete bloodwork done when Max was neutered due to poor health back then and peanut when she was in ICU

OTHERWISE yearly rabies shot is all...they are on heartworm med only

I just called my vet too about Beau...no bloodwork is necessary unless there is a REASON for it like really bad health etc

I switched vets last January and best thing i did! i have a vet who uses common sense, experience along with textbook knowledge and works with me when i have my own ideas. two heads are better than one.

my previous vet charged tons of money with no results, answers and etc

go by YOUR GUT!!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Here our rabies shots last 3 yrs but I was told by my sister in-law's vet in Florida that they give annual rabies shots in the south. Something about the heat/humidity down there. Our dog's shots were over a year old and since we were there for six weeks we were required (by law) to get them again.

The only bloodwork we get annually is for heartworms before starting the meds and if there is a question about lyme disease since this is considered a "hot spot".

·
Registered
98 Posts
The first rabies shot is good for a year, then they are good for 3 years after that. They used to only be good for one year and you would have to give the shot yearly, but they now have them that are good for 3 years. There is alot of contraversy about vaccines...some say that once they have been immunized (except for rabies) they should be good for life. People get shots when they are babies, then they are good to go, so why is it any different for dogs? I stopped vaccines on my old dog because I just didn't feel that it was nessasary anymore. I'm on the fence with Murphy though, I may do it for a couple years then stop...I don't know. But the bllod work up is a little much I think.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Cinnamon's vet suggested blood work before she was spade. Other than that, no blood work. And it wasn't $200, it was $60. I remember it was for comparison if she did need something else and it's a one time thing (?). Once they had it, no more was needed. If she has an emergency, they already know her stats. She's on heart worm prevention, so no more tests for that.

·
Registered
77 Posts
our old vet was bad he said we always needed these new vaccines then we went to a different vet and they sait that these wernt nessasary at all. i guess it just depends on the vet

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So it sounds like a go for the rabies booster this time..no to the blood work. You just reminded me that we had it done when he was neutered which was also when he was put on the heart worm meds. I swear, I can't get out of that office without dropping $200. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'm not sure if this has been said already, but Rabies is mandated by the state you live in. So it's quite possible that they vary from State to State. I think it depends on how much of a problem it is, etc.

Annie, I know how you feel. I'll explain in my new post!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Denver at 17 months old has had two rabie shots.
His next one is due in 3 years.
Blood workup is only done here, when there is already
a problem.

G

·
Maya only got a rabies shot that is good for a year as a puppy. Next year I think I can get teh 3 year one. They also did a mini blood panel when she got spay and my vet doesn't reccommend another unless there is something wrong.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
of course they are in it for the money, some are greedy and some are not but its how they all make their money.

rabies vary on length most are one or three years. of course that is a guess you would only know if you titer which we do to determine if they have antibody still in their system. you can overvaccinate, but no one seems to care. as far as the blood work up I can see why it may be suggested, it would be up to you if you decide to do it. people do it at their yearly checkups.

I had a hard time in salt lake area finding a vet I liked. I did settle on one but still felt they were trying to push things that werent necessary, but it didnt matter cause I was good at saying no and questioning them! (I am sure they didnt appreciate me :) but still these guys are like my kids and I would do the same thing with them!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Forgot to add on the blood work some vets want to do it, I'm sure want the money. I would just do what you feel is needed if the dog is healthy and not having any issue I would hold off, a breeder is different we should do the yearly testing to make sure our dogs are in good health before having pups.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
I changed vets and i went thru referrals of friends, breeders, called the offices and visited several.

the one I chose to switch to was due to:

1. Friendly, prompt with calling back, and upfront about charges and discounts when bringing in 2 dogs at same time

2. have many labradoodle patients...Peanut is their 1st goldendoodle

3. They are a "country" vet attitude and when peanut was in their ICU for 3 days and ALMOST HAD emergency surgery, they told me NOT to worry about the bill :shock: i told them what i could afford and anyway they said just make monthly payments with NO interest etc :shock:

many vets in my area charge interest if you can't pay in full
so do Human doctors too

4. we discuss charges and tests like for neutering, heartworm etc and if and what is necessary versus what is optional

5. they aren't all TEXTBOOK knowledge either, they use common sense with experience or at least 2 of the 3 do hahahhahahaa

1 - 20 of 20 Posts