Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I met with a trainer yesterday, and got some tips on training for Kasper. The obidience classes are not starting until mars, but I felt I needed some tips so I got a private lesson. All went well and I am just gonna be patient with him and increase his exercise, along with doing some obidience at home.

He is now a week short of 5 months and weighs 42 lb. haha and the trainer said he was gonna be a big and strong dog. Is she right, is it possible to calculate how heawy they will be by looking at puppy weight?

She said he was very smart, like I have read about the doodles here, so that must be a doodle trait for sure :D

Also she recomended a book called smart puppy. Has anybody read that one, I am gonna look for it in the bookstore, for sure. I love buying books haha I dont need a lot of convinsing on that matter :lol:

And just for the fun of it ,,,, I know you love pictures,,, hear is one my parents just sent me of my other dog they are fostering for me. She is also a doodle, not labra though :D

·
Registered
560 Posts
Hi,

Just for reference, Bailey is 19 weeks old and is about 33 lbs. I think I read on this forum that the general rule is to double their weight at 4-6 mos and add 10 lbs. That means my pup would end up being 70-80 pds!! His parents are both 50 lbs so I was more hoping for that size. He is growing so fast it scares me. When I took him to school this morning (after 2 wk christmas break) all the kids were asking me where my puppy went. I said this was him and they couldn't believe how much he had grown over 2 weeks. He is super skinny too so I know it's just his growth kicking in. I hope it slows down soon. If you go by the formula Kasper might end up being a 100 pounder!!! Mind you, my last dog was 110 lbs and the sweetest thing ever.

As for books, I have the book you mentioned. Brian Kilcommons I believe is the author and well known and respected for his work. His book comes with a DVD and is simple yet informative. I don't think you can go wrong with this book and it would be the first I would recommend too.

There is also a guy who lives in my city named Brad Pattison. He has a show called 'The end of my leash' and has a book out. I may get it. Initially I thought his training was way to harsh but the more I watch his show the more I think he might know what he is doing. I will probably buy his book too (Synergy). He doesn't use treats and is very much into the alpha dog but the thing I really notice about him is that his dogs are super obedient, yet very very happy too. I say this because I've actually seen some of the dogs he uses in his show in real life and they are great, happy dogs. So he must be doing something right!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha wow 100 pounds! :shock: Well I dont mind if he is big.. just laughing because my hubby wanted a small dog and I convinsed him on the labradoodle :lol: :lol: :lol:

thanks for the info 8)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Max was 35lbs at 16 wks.........he's 85lbs now

Beau is only 43lbs at 6mos :D

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Ebbe was 50 lbs. at five months
... at 14 months, 75 lbs.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so it maybe difficult to predict about. I sont really care if he gets big and heavy or is just average hehe, I was just wondering, I guess :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts