Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
to keep a doodle from running around for 10 whole days without sending Mom to the looney bin??? Maya goes in tomorrow to get spayed and the vet's office called and she said that Maya will be on walks only for 10 days!!! I am going to go as crazy as she is!!! I definately agree that a tired puppy is a good puppy and make sure Maya gets a lot of exercise. It is gonna be a long 10 days!!! If you have any suggestions on what to do please let me know. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
It's a bit underhanded, but my vet has told me that in a pinch, when I absolutely HAVE to help a dog settle down to give it a cup of coffee. You know how coffee energizes people? Well he claims it has the opposite affect on dogs and is a mild sedative to them. It might be worth a try! Just put some creamer in it and I bet most would willingly drink it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Heather
One of the hardest things to do in my opinion is to
keep a Doodle down.
Denver is antsy and not very happy and bored with his bedrest
and it is no fun for any of us.
You just have to find a way to have very quiet play time with them
one on one. I would stock up on her farvorite chew bones as that is the
only item saving us right now. Denver loves the big beef chew bones and will chew for hours..............Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Glad that you brought up this topic. Chloe is getting spayed next Tuesday and I have absolutely no clue how I am going to keep her from bouncing around and hurting herself. I think I put myself into a position I wasn't prepared for when I chose to get a labradoodle. I had no idea how hyper these dogs were!!!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
"on the walks only for 10 days!!!"
Is it me or does 10 days sound a little long for a procedure like that? Or am I just totally ignorant when it comes to this topic. Marley is gets neutered this Friday, and I was not planning a 10 recuperation period. Is spaying a that much different? Marley does still have one undescended testicle that will require a little more work than normal..but 10 days? Am I missing something? The lab across the street was bouncing around the next day, about a month ago!! Can somebody give me a clue here?

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Oh Greg
No doubt that they can and most do bounce around the next day
the problem is they are not supposed to.
We were told to keep Denver quiet for 7 days. We made it to 3
and tried our best to keep him quiet but....................
We did not walk him for the 7 full days and just kind of
bounced a little bit around the house with him from day 3 on.

Good luck to all just going through this .
You can do it. Expect them to act just the way they did before the surgery
and try hard to keep them rested.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
It is hard to keep them down - we really struggled with Annabelle, she acted like she had not had surgery after 2 days, we were constantly pushing her butt on the ground with the the sit command and she would look at us like we were crazy

One thing that helped is we put ALL her toys up, let her have a bone to chew on

You could ask your vet if there is a natural calming you could give her if she doesnt chill - I know our vet sells one, saw it when I was there but did not read what was in it. It can be used for furbabies for traveling, vet visits, grooming - whenever the dog is gonna be hyper and needs calming.

As far as Coffee goes, I have read that caffeine is bad for dogs - can cause their heart to race and can be fatal in some cases, don't know how true it is, but I'd be cautious of it.

Good luck and I hope her surgery is uneventful

·
Registered
248 Posts
Uma was spayed at 5 months and although she was out of it the afternoon we picked her up, she was practically her old self by the next morning. We tried to keep her calm, but by day 3 she was pulling me out the door. She ended up paying the price....

While we were on the walk she saw a neighbor and got excited and in purebred doodle form, she jumped in the air. When she landed she let out the loudest yelp I've ever heard. Neighbors came out of there houses to see what happened! I carried her home, scared to death that she has REALLY hurt herself. Fifteen minutes later she was ready to walk again, but much more caucious this time.

Moral of the story...even when they think they are all better, they still have some recovery to go. Good Luck keeping Maya calm.

·
Registered
248 Posts
One more peice of advice for those of you whose doodles are about to be spayed...

When I picked Uma up after her procedure I'm guessing her anesthesia had not worn off 100% because she ended up peeing in the back seat of my car (something she had NEVER done before). The worst part was that she was spayed Friday and I didn't drive that whole weekend, so when I got in my car Monday morning to go to work I was in for a smelly surprise. Oh...and...it was August...in FLORIDA which equals 120+ inside a black car! Her "accident" was completly baked into my backseat and, although the car was only 3 years old, I had to get a new car! :!: :!:

My advice, put a large, plastic garbage bag under a blanket just in case.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
When Cinnamon was spayed, the vet told me to keep her quiet - by that she meant no jumping or running & limit stairs. We still played with her, but we didn't let her jump after a ball and we rolled the ball on the ground. It took her a long while to get tired, but that's how we did it. Since the ball rolled, she caught it before it got to the "run after it" stage. We still went for our daily walks, only shorter and not as fast. She got her exercise but wasn't overly tired. We only were told for 5 to 7 days though, not 10. I don't think I could do 10!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
When Cali was spayed, she reacted to the anaesthesia by throwing up for 24 hours, poor baby. This is not normal (fortunately, not very common) and the vet can give some anti-nausea meds if that happens. By the time the nausea wore off she was ready to go, unfortunately she split her incision a little bit (internal stitches) and we had to go back to the vet again! It is hard. We tried to crate her as much as possible to keep her quiet. Best wishes and best of luck! :)

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
hmmm...is it that much worse to get spayed than neutered? Because our vet said to keep our boys quiet for 3-4 days. We lasted 3 with Kirby :)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
IMO I have to agree that 10 days does seem excessive.

Max had to stay quiet for 5 days...he managed 3 really lazy sore days and 1 semi energetic

Peanut...hahhahaaa!! she was good for 3 days and learned wrestling could hurt but still bounced around like Tigger (winnie the pooh).

I did give them BONES to chew back then

·
Registered
459 Posts
When we went to pick up Lucy after she had been spayed the vet said she was extremely active. She was up and around in several hours and just wanted to go go go. They had to give us a supply of a sedative. It was a godsend! Without it it was nearly IMPOSSIBLE to keep her calm. We did not use the entire prescription but it was invaluable to have for those first few days. It made her so calm and she just cuddled, slept and chewed on her bones. She also had to wear one of those lovely cones due to her licking her incision. Ten days seems like a long time -- our vet told us one week with no off leash running and no jumping. Best of luck, it does pass quickly.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
DO NOT FEED CAFFEINE

caffeine is dangerous to dogs as is chocolate because it contains the stimulant. there are drugs such as ace that can help keep an animal still if need be. you can also contain in a crate or xpen or room as needed.
I personally think 10 days is very excessive. wait and see how she is doing, its possible she may not feel like running around for a day or two anyway :)

more info on caffeine:

Caffeine poisoning is not as common as chocolate poisoning but it is still seen occasionally

Caffeine is present in * :

coffee
instant 65mg/cup
percolated 100mg/cup
tea - 15-75mg/cup
cocoa - 10-17 mg/cup#
chocolate - 60-70mg/bar#
some cola drinks - 40-65 mg/12oz can
Lucozade 18mg/100g
Some cold treatments
Some pain killers
Caffeine stimulant tablets
Caffeine stimulant drinks (eg Red Bull)
# The main stimulant and potential toxin in chocolate and cocoa is theobromine.

If enough is eaten it can be fatal for both dogs and cats. The lethal dose of caffeine for dogs and cats is 150mg/kg body weight, and regular instant coffee contains over 60mg caffeine per teaspoon - so for a 3 kg cat 8 teaspoons of coffee would be potentially fatal, and there is NO ANTIDOTE.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Good luck Heather......I know it will be hard for you, but all you can do is try your best! :wink: These Doodles are next to impossible to keep calm and quiet!!

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
Maddjaxx said:
".... Marley is gets neutered this Friday, and I was not planning a 10 recuperation period. Is spaying a that much different? Marley does still have one undescended testicle that will require a little more work than normal..but 10 days? Am I missing something? ...
Gregg, I am going to PM you , too, BUT absolutely INSIST on having an ultrasound prior to the procedure. It could save a lot of digging around in Marleys abdominal cavity to find the missing testicle. This searching can ultimately result in some major swelling when the testicle is hidden from view. Of course the testicle could be undescended AND readily visible, but I would want the peace of mind that comes with the ultrasound.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Thanks for the advice Linda. I will certainly discuss that with our vet. After our pre-neuter checkup last week, she did say that she thinks she can feel it just below the skin. She cannot say 100%, but she feels pretty confident if that is the case, and that it will make the procedure much easier. That is what we are hoping for anyway. Thanks for mentioning that though. It does make sense, that if there is a risk of not finding it easily, that doing an ultrasound would certainly be big help. Great idea..one I would never thought of myself. Thanks. And Marley stands tall and will be ready to go Friday!! And we will keep him from jumping the neighborhood kids too.

[/img]

1 - 20 of 31 Posts