Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I have had Labs forever and recently our 14 & 15 yr old just passsed. We are looking at LD's because of the allergy friendliness. I like everything i see about them but i wonder if i am doing this breed a diservice by asking them to live in Tampa Florida.

Any help?

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I lived with my cocker in Florida for 13 years. Lots of water, short hair cuts for summer, lots of shade and most of all....lots of indoor time with the air conditioning. That's how we (especially me) survived Florida! :wink:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
We are in Dallas......we have very LONG summers and, at times, extreme heat. If it was only heat....it wouldn't be so bad.....but the humidity is very high on many, many days both in the spring and summer.

Not as bad as Houston, and probably not as bad as Florida, but as Gene said.....the AC, short hair and shade.....I think a labradoodle would be fine.....I am speaking from little experience with this breed....and mine has a wavy but not really thick coat. I don't know if it will thicken up as she grows and gets an "adult" coat......if so, she will have to be buzzed shorter.

This is a wonderful breed....hope you decide to get one.
8)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi -
I have 2 F1 (50% lab/50% standard poodle) doodles and live about 40 miles from Tampa in Auburndale. I guess you have to ask yourself a couple of questions - will your dog(s) be outside all of the time and if so, what type of protection/shade will they have? I know this is common sense but unless they are outside a lot, it doesn't really matter. My girls live in the lap of luxury - inside unless they are out playing, lots of shade in the yard and a pool for when it gets really hot. I know, it's sick but our girls are treasures and nothing is out of the question.

I would suggest getting F1B and beyond if you are wanting the "less to no shed" doodle as ours shed like our labs did but not quite as bad, especially after losing their puppy coats. F1's do shed.

BTW - my girls totally zonk out every day from 1pm until 4 or 5pm so they have no heat issues. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts