Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just interested generally. its much more fun to own a dog there. people dont seem that bothered here in england. there aren't dog parks or puppy preschools where i live and i'm even struggling to find a training class! all the parks near me are grotty too!
also snow seens to be agood background for a pic-i've seen some nice ones-but it never snows here lol.
whats america like-any better?-i'm no expert on america by the way i may be misinformed :lol:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Nope. Sam and I are from Perth, Western Australia, where we are in the midst of a sweltering summer. It's a bit cooler today but it's been stinking hot. Poor Sam was a tad lethargic yesterday.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow australia-so its summer for you now. gawd wish our summer was sweltering-we had floods and rain :roll:

·
Registered
728 Posts
We're in Pennsylvania and there are no dog parks, etc. around me either. You have to go to a larger area (population wise) than here. We're pretty much in a farming community. We're only 20 minutes or so from the old-time Amish areas. We own 12 acres at our business and 2 wooded acres at our home so there's plenty of room for the dogs to exercise.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Rochester NY about 1.5hours southeast of Niagara falls Canada
also 20 min south of lake ontario

We do NOT have dog parks here but i live on 6 acres backing up to a creek that is 70ft wide and 16-20ft deep with 300ft frontage, thus it is like having my own "mini' dog park :wink:

our 3 doodles can run, swim in a pool or creek, Max and Peanut learned to ride in our paddleboat and i'll need TONS of beer to attempt 3 doodles in it next summer hahhaaaaaaaa either that or a frontal labatomy

There are nature trails and parks around that others drive to , to walk and exercise their dogs.
I'm lazy , i roll out of bed , stumble down the stairs and trudge outside to backyard and let em loose hahhaa (beau is on leash still) :wink:

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Birmingham, MI USA

I've heard that dogs in England don't have to be leashed. They just kind of roam around with their owners. Is this true?
I live in a city with leash laws. We do have parks where dogs can run free, however.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Annabelle and I live in NE Tennessee. Snow here is not common, we might get a dusting or a few inches - I htink the last "big" snow we had (about 18 inches) was about 7 years ago - weather patterns seem to have changed.

When we lived in Fla - we saw snow once - very freaky as it rarely snows in west central florida

Grew up in NY - used to have lots of snow.

Where are you in England geographically - I see that parts of England do get snow.

We don't have any dog parks around where we live, but our backyard is fenced so Annabelle does not have to be on a leash to go out.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'm going to school in California, but I'm still a resident of Rhode Island. My boyfriend's step-dad's from England. I think his great aunt lives somewhere in the liverpool, manchester area. I think that's a pretty big area, but I've never actually been to England (although its probably my biggest dream). I'd really love to go sometime.

G

·
Maya and I live by the ocean in NC. It is a nice area to have a dog. Many of the resturants have an outdoor area and they don't mind if you bring your dog out there provided they are well behaved. I took Maya to a few resturants this past fall and usu the wait staff would bring water for her before they brought the people anything!! And yes we have dog parks and part of one of our beaches is dog friendly all year.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I live in Lake Oswego, Oregon (Pacific Northwest, USA). Dog parks and doggy daycare are really popular here and in the entire Portland area. Some of the doggy day cares are especially posh with really cute names: Virginia Woof Doggy Day Care, Central Bark, Howliday Inn, The Muttley Crew, Noah's Arf, etc...

I lived near Houston, Texas prior to moving to Oregon and the dog parks/doggy day care weren't as common.

·
Registered
94 Posts
By the way...my 17-year-old son would love to go to Liverpool. He and his friends are all really interested in classic rock and music from the 60's and 70's. They all like the Beatles, Led Zepplin, The Who, etc... which think is pretty neat for a bunch of 16 & 17 year-olds.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I live in Vancouver, Washington, USA which is very close to where Lori lives in Oregon.

We get lots of rain here ... probably just like parts of England although I've never been and would LOVE to go sometime. :)

I'm lucky enough to live right next to a big lake that has lots of trails so when the weather is nice, Noodle and I try to get out there as much as possible.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
can i just tell you all that the liverpool/manchester area is boring with a capital B. but maybe thats just me :lol:
London is where to go if you come to england-lots to see and do-i should have gone on the london eye whilst i could but i was a chicken at that time.
Wales is beutiful as well-i've always wanted to take my dog on a beach but i'll have to wait untill next summer to do that now. you are all so lucky to live near lakes and greenery-its all concrete where i live-i'd have to travel to find a nice park. there aren't any leash laws where i live-there are some parks which have signs saying keep your dog on a leash but there are people whose dogs are obedient and can be let off leash and still follow their owners-i wouldn't take the risk at the mo!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Spent a couple of weeks in your wonderful country a few years back. Very pretty and we had great weather to see most of it in. My hubby was there on business, so we got to see more of it than regular tourists.

We used to live in rural Indiana, mid America. There were not any dog parks or day cares. If you wanted to socialize you dog, you had to have dog neighbors.

We now live closer to a bigger city area, Kansas City, that has dog parks and day cares. We still don't live real close to these, but they are here. Cinnamon has 10 acres to run on (OK, 7 acres of dry land and 3 in water-we have a small lake we share with 2 others) and we have friends over with their dogs for socialization.

Snow isn't what it's cracked up to be. It has to be cold for it to happen!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hey hope i haven't put anyone off liverpool lol-it just needs doing up a bit-its supposed to be capital of culture 2008 and there are still boarded up houses in the city centre. however there are some reely nice parts of liverpool i promise! my personal favourite is the football ground Anfield-but i'm a bit of a football fanatic

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i think i need to travel-i've never been abroad. its funny how you build up pictures of foreign countries in your mind-all more exotic and interesting than your own :lol:
i'd love to go to Africa-the wildlife on the savanna is amazing

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I live in northeast NJ, in a quiet suburban neighborhood, on a dead-end street with a huge soccer/baseball field at the end, all surrounded by woods. But, I can walk three blocks and be on a train with a 30 minute ride to Manhattan! It's the best of both worlds here.

Everyone around here has a dog, it seems. You can usually see one or two dog walkers around the neighborhood at any given time. The field at the end of my street doubles as a dog park...the town lets us run the dogs off-leash because everyone who uses the field is fanatical about picking up after their dogs. The field is bordered by woods, and after a romp in the field, it's usually on to a walk-though on the path. Nice area.

PS to Casey - I've never been off the continent... :( I need to travel more too!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I live in northeast NJ, in a quiet suburban neighborhood, on a dead-end street with a huge soccer/baseball field at the end, all surrounded by woods. But, I can walk three blocks and be on a train with a 30 minute ride to Manhattan! It's the best of both worlds here.

Everyone around here has a dog, it seems. You can usually see one or two dog walkers around the neighborhood at any given time. The field at the end of my street doubles as a dog park...the town lets us run the dogs off-leash because everyone who uses the field is fanatical about picking up after their dogs. The field is bordered by woods, and after a romp in the field, it's usually on to a walk-though on the path. Nice area.

PS to Casey - I've never been off the continent... I need to travel more too!
haha...Lynn almost described where we live too...except that we are in central NJ right along the shore. We too are a short walk from a train staion and a 50 min ride to Manhattan :)

Our area is very dog friendly - there are many dog parks and dog friendly beaches (one beach allows dogs to go off leash). I have only been to France once - I too need to travel more :)

G

·
North Jersey here, thought I'd keep the Jersey dogs in the thread together! :lol: Train is 10 minutes away with an hour ride to NYC.
Lot's of trails and some dog parks around here. Everything is very spread out, you usually need to drive just to go to a friends house.
I think city living is fun, walk everywhere, always something going on!
I LOVED England when we visited, the history is so amazing, things are so old!!
Leslie, maybe we should plan a doodle romp to the dog beach when it gets warmer? :lol:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts