Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done some more research around this forum and have run across some people who "tether" their dogs to them.

Is this a good idea? I mean, I want to watch TV downstairs with my wife but always have a hard time doing so because we have to make sure our little guy isn't running around the corner to go potty. I think if we had a rope on him that would limit his walking it might be a better idea.

I'm not talking about all the time either, just when we are watching TV or something. We would of course let him off to play and if we were heading up stairs or something. Do you think his is a good idea?

It just seems we don't get to do ANYTHING anymore without having to worry about Link being in eyesight. I guess that's par for the course though with a puppy :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
I think tethering is a fine idea for the reasons you stated as well as for bonding. I have a clip at the end of Sawyer's leash which I use to tether him to me when I am doing work around the house or sometimes to furniture, while we eat, for example, so that he can be with us, but not get in trouble by begging or bothering anyone at the table. Also, while he recovered from his neuter surgery we kept the leash on him all the time so that we could catch him when he got too crazy. When you use it for specific situations like that it is a great way to keep them with you and out of trouble. I can't wait for his obedience classes to begin!

·
Registered
215 Posts
SureShot-
I love to tether... My 11 month old was tethered a lot when she was a puppy. I found that it was impractical for me to crate her when I couldn't watch her 100% because I was always home. But, I couldn't get anything done around the house or even watch TV because she was always running off out of my sight. I think tethering is a great idea for the times you said- watching TV, etc. We tethered her while we watched TV, ate dinner, were on the computer, and other times. That way, you catch them immediately if they have an accident, if they chew on your coffee table, and you know they're not in another room eating something they shouldn't. We used a 6 foot leash, and always kept toys close by for her to play with while she was tethered. Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot for the information :)

I am having a hard time picturing myself walking around the house with a leash attached to me but it might have to happen! Are there special ones you should buy or could we just use the one we take him out to go potty with?

Personally I don't think he will mind, I mean he follows me or my wife around with us everywhere we go anyway. This will just mean no "special" trips around the corner when I'm not watching ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
seazer, what is this "x-pen" you speak of? I checked out Pet Smart's website and couldn't find it. I also did a google search and think I found what you were talking about but want to be sure.

Do you have a link or something I could see?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
All of these posts are great...I love the idea of tethering, although I had 2 pups at once and couldn't tether them to me, I certainly would do so with one. Another good reason to tether is that they get used to watching you for cues. This will really help you when you train. Your puppy has to watch you when you get up, move around, change directions, etc.

An x-pen is great too. We used two x-pens together for our litter of puppies and they loved being in it. An x-pen is short for exercise pen...which is probably why you couldn't find it when you searched. They are sold in almost every pet store and online. Try www.petedge.com it is a great source of inexpensive but good quality things for dogs and cats.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Sureshot -
I couldn't imagine walking around with a pup attached to me either, but my doods think it's the coolest thing in the world! When they're tethered they learn to watch you, get instant feedback for good and bad behavior PLUS they are doing what doodles do best - hang out with their human. We have HAD to tether because we have two at the same time..... One would run upstairs and steal shoes while the other ran around to piddle behind the sofa. But we found out how much they love it. Maybe it will work well for Link, too. Believe me, I get tired of it before George and Gracie do!

We also used an x-pen, crate and baby gates, etc. Whatever combination was working at the moment to keep them safe, and to keep our home safe. But tethering seems to me to make an important shift in the dynamic: DOOD watches YOU...instead of YOU watch DOOD.

Every so often things have adjusted backward or forward, but the trend has been to give them more and more freedom as they earn our trust and learn important lessons about the world: It's not that great to eat rocks. Hot coffee burns. The cat hates me. Mom always has a treat in her pocket. I am instantly outside if I pee on the floor.

You will find some helpful information about tethering in any of the wonderful dog training books by the Monks of New Skete.

Oh, yeah - we have come to use a chain leash for tethering because our doods are chewing machines and have eaten through all the other leashes. But we use a web leash for walks.

Most of all enjoy your little Link. Hey, how about posting a photo?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Jac-
I'm chuckling because I just read that you couldn't tether because you had two pups at the same time and I said I HAD to because I had two at the same time! I neglected to mention that my husband and I each take a dood separately!

Sureshot -
Attempting to tether two doods to one human at the same time will result in either gales of laughter or the use of language inappropriate around puppies and small children!

·
Registered
215 Posts
HAHA Lisa when I read your earlier post about tethering two doodles, I was picturing myself with my two doods- one is 45 pounds and the other is 62 (their weights combined are a little less than my weight!!)... I could never tether both of them! I can imagine that that would be quite the sight... thanks for the clarification about you and your hubby both tethering them! LOL! I tethered Summer to me before we got Duke... now we just have baby gates everywhere! But, the ex-pen is a great idea too.

Bridget, Summer, and Duke

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Lisa, thanks for the hearty laugh!
I wondered, when I read your response...and I was thinking..."Wow, how did she do that???" I must say that I not only laughed at your next note, but breathed a big sigh of relief! :lol:
Once, I had about 30 real estate agents standing at the top of my driveway (my driveway is on a steep hill) and they were watching as I was trying to take 3 wound up dogs out to my car so that they could all walk through my house...well, all 3 dogs went separate directions and tied my legs into a tight bond and they kept running and I went flying!
Your comment brought back memories...best forgotten for an old lady! :lol:

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
It is a good way to house break because they can't get to far away from you. Other times it is good is training on stay my trainer calls it the couch potatoe stay you down the dog and then tell them to stay but you foot on the lead jst so they have enough room to be comfortable but not able to get up, then if they try say nothing they will self correct when they go back down tell them good stay good boy, and after a short time the release them evenings watching TV or on the computer or great times for this exercise.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
SureShot
As Jac said an x-pen is an exercise pen. They come with a varying number of 2 foot panels and are anywhere from 24" to 48" high. You can configure them in any shape that suits you (square, rectangle, octogon.) I have a 4'x4' in the family room and a 2'x6' in the bedroom. They are only 24" high and it took Dakota about two days to figure out that he could bail over the side, so we put a pegboard top on each of them--it makes them more "denish" and Dakota loves spending time in them--except, of course, when he has to! I'm about to buy another one for our vacation home. I found some great prices on ebay--you may want to check that out. They ship from New York, so shipping would probably be no more for you than it is for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.