Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a Petmate, deluxe pet porter size large dog crate for our 6 month old pup. She is a 3/4 standard poodle 1/4 lab and currently weighs about 30 lbs. She has very long legs (like a poodle). Not quit sure what size she will end up being. I just wonder how long I can keep her in this crate. Will she out grow it? She goes in a night and during the day if we go some where. Comments?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Tina,
I don't know the actual dimensions of the crate, but the general rule for a crate is that the dog should be able to stand up and turn around comfortably. How is your crate right now for those things?
My Labradoodle girls didn't grow much past the 6 month size, but my Poodle (standard) is still growing and he is almost a year old now.
What are your dog's parents/grandparents/siblings like? (Any litters from the same parents that are grown to maturity?)
All of these things can help you decide. Also your vet can pretty well tell you if your puppy will grow much more.
My vet, judging by Chase's growth plates, told me he would be BIG...and to expect a lot of growth. Also Chase is very tall (but he IS a Poodle, not a Labradoodle)...
While I can't really answer your question, I hope that I have given you a couple of things to help.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My doodle is 55 pounds and he is in an extra large crate. We tried that large but he has long legs so that is why we got it for him. With other dogs we have had, I have purchased another crate when they were about a year old. You can sell the crate if your doodle out grows it. Or keep it for other doodles! :D

My doodle was 9 mths when we got him so he was already as tall as he was going to get per the vet. Now at a year he is starting to fill out. He is still comfortable in the E-large crate. I bought it at Wallyworld for about $60 I think.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Any body have a suggestion for a collapsible crate. Toby travels with me and does great just riding in the backseat. For overnight adventures I need a crate, but his home is too big for my car now as he has outgrown his first two. :D I need one that I can use in motel rooms but that will fit in my trunk and still be large enough to hold a lotta doodle. ????

·
Registered
377 Posts
Any body have a suggestion for a collapsible crate. Toby travels with me and does great just riding in the backseat. For overnight adventures I need a crate, but his home is too big for my car now as he has outgrown his first two. :D I need one that I can use in motel rooms but that will fit in my trunk and still be large enough to hold a lotta doodle. ????

1 - 6 of 6 Posts