Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I am wondering if anyone else lives on 6 acres with water as I am wondering if I should do an invisible fence next spring.

I would hate to loose my baby to wandering , dislike chain linked fences for such an energetic dog and have lots of room. Any recommendations on invisble fences??? thanks so much.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
we have electric fence and I LOVE IT!!!! we used it in Montana when we had 5 acres and now we have 26 here. In the beginning they had their collars on more, but now (its been 2 years or more) they only have to wear their collars every once in a while. They do not run out when a stray dog comes by so it really does work :) I would be happy to answer any questions you may have about our experience with it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
We have an electric fence and love it also. Our yard is too big to fence so this was a good solution. We added it when Fred was about 10 months (he is 2 now) and it has just made his and our life so much better. He loves to be outside, and without the electric fence that would not have been possible as much. Plus, it seems that he really likes having his defined territory. Even when he is not wearing the collar, he stays within the boundaries. I was not sure about using this electric shock method at first--I worried it was cruel, but getting a real fence was not an option, and now I have no regrets at all. My dogs get to have the run of our big yard, they can watch all the people walk by, and the two dogs get to run and play together all they want without us worrying about them chasing after little kids on bikes, getting lost or hit by a car. I have known people whose dogs did learn to deal with the shock, but we have not had that experience, and the people I knew with that problem did not get the fence until the dog was several years old and already used to chasing after other dogs and people, so it may be good to start when they are young. We did not let Fred run loose before the fence and always went out with him. The fences are really easy to put in yourself--most of ours just runs on the ground. We have a rough brushy area bordering a lot of the property, so we only buried it on the front lawn.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
oh yeah :) what ronnie said. we didnt bury any of ours actually. we taped it over the two sidewalks that was it. our dogs were about 8-10 months old when we started it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Love it love it love it!!!!!

Our doodle boy Cody is one year now. We have five acres on the river and he is an indoor/outdoor dog. He started running off sometimes to go swimming but he would come right back. That quickly turned into go out to potty - run away to the river - come back at dark. While he was away he was jumping on fishermen, stealing fish, eating hamburgers and whatever else people would feed the cute doggie, getting in the road, getting really stinky. It got to the point that I had to keep him indoors 24/7 except to go potty on a leash. We got Cody to stay close to the boys and protect them while they were outside. It was a nightmare! We finally bought an electric fence from Petsafe. We got the stubborn dog fence which has an anti-linger mode to keep them from running down the battery on purpose. It also has a larger warning zone and the correction gets stronger the farther across the barrier the dog goes so there is no mad dashing across the line. Cody accidentally crossed the line chasing the cat once and it scared the be-jeezes out of him. He has never done it again. When he get four feet from the line his collar beeps and vibrates and he backs off. He will not cross that line no matter what. The cats run across it and he just backs off. Now my sweet boy has six acres of safe play area to jump and run and I don't have to worry about him getting hurt or stolen. Soooooo worth the money and my husband and I put it in in one day. Love it!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow...you are ALL giving me great info!!!

we have 6 acres and I would like to let max have a 2.5 acre run to get proper exercise and be with us ....that is where we don't have to fear him running into the road, after a deer or swimming in a 60ft widex20ft deep creek. our road says 35mph limit and most people do 65!!

ok....NEXT question which brands are better????

·
Registered
128 Posts
Oh yes!

Petsafe is the best. Since we're in the woods we ordered the one with the bigger gauge wire which is stronger. I also ordered the ground staples and we installed ours above ground. You don't have to bury the wire. If you put the wire flush to the ground and push the staple down to hold it the grass will grow over it in a few weeks. We haven't had any trouble at all with the above-ground installation. The one feature I wish we had gotten was the optional hand-held controller. There are times when I would really love to send Cody a warning tone when he is behaving badly or getting too close to my 86 year-old Mother-In-Law who lives with us. I am going to try and get it as an add-on. If you have any questions let me know. Oh, also, that collar doesn't have to be snug at all. I can pull Cody's collar off with little effort. His transmitter just barely touches his skin. You have to make sure you move it around and don't get it too tight or he'll get pressure sores. The warning tone is so effective he's never been shocked outside of that one accidental crossing. I took his regular collar and bore two holes into it and put the transmitter on there. I think you can add it to any collar as long as you put the holes in it. Make sure you set the warning zone to the max since you have such a large area and don't have to worry about conserving space. It took us a while to figure that out. The max setting (on the control box, not the collar!) will give you a 4ft warning zone which means that within 4ft your dog's collar will tone and vibrate. The shock doesn't happen unless he actually crosses the line. Good luck - Petsafe is wonderful!

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
yes ours is above ground also :)

didnt know about the handheld, but we have a handheld control with
a different collar and we did use it as a training tool when we were
teaching the fence boundaries. It worked perfect and I can use it indoors
for other behavior corrections. Mostly though it sits in the drawer!

G

·
Just curious, how long did it take you all to train your dog(s) to the system? My neighbor didn't feel 100% comfortable until their's was up 3 weeks.

G

·
Love our fence, could not have lived without it this week, way too cold to be going out for potty breaks :lol:
We have PetSafe, but we had a local installer put it in and train Bella. He came three times over three weeks with his own dog who worked as a distraction to see if Bella would cross the boundary. She would not cross for the dog, but did cross once to chase my son skateboarding. (I think she just forgot). She never crossed again (except the one time I was taking her for a leash walk and she stopped at the boundary like she usually does and I told her OK, but totally forgot I had put her collar on :oops: :cry: I NEVER made that mistake again.) :oops:

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
This is something that I am really interested in doing also but my husband can't see how it would work if it isn't buried. Our ground here is very rocky so would be impossible to bury and he's afraid if we laid it on top of the ground, the lawnmower would get it. Do the staples hold it down tight until the grass grabs hold, we would only have to worry about that across the front yard and across the back yard. I can't convince him that it will work, HELP :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have a small part of lawn where the wire is on top of grass and my garden tractor rides right over the wire without ever catching. The blade is higher than the wire, probably by a couple of inches, and it hasn't caught either. Also--you don't have to bury it very deep. I buried it on the front since we have a lot of kids running across. I used a lawn edger to cut a thin line and then used a paint stirrer to push the wire in. We also put some new soil on top of the wire and just grew some more grass. It all blended in eventually. In some places I could only dig down about as deep as the wire was thick.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
dixiedi said:
This is something that I am really interested in doing also but my husband can't see how it would work if it isn't buried. Our ground here is very rocky so would be impossible to bury and he's afraid if we laid it on top of the ground, the lawnmower would get it. Do the staples hold it down tight until the grass grabs hold, we would only have to worry about that across the front yard and across the back yard. I can't convince him that it will work, HELP :)
none of ours is buried (three years now)
never has been which is a good thing as we moved three times!

we put tape over it where it goes across the sidewalks and we hung it
over the garage doors so its not in the way there!

only downside I can see is mowing, but its really not a big deal,
my husband mows a strip beside it and I go behind and just move the wire into the mowed strip and voila away he goes!

oh we dont have staples and the grass doesnt grow it into anything.
it really works very well. the flags are still where the wire is so everyone knows when to look for the wire and not trip over it!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Stella if you give me a bit of time there is one type of invisible fencing that can be installed in water like ponds etc...i found it by doing a search.
I know I have the link somewhere but need a day or two to find it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts