Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has any intellectual toys that they could advise. Napa has been getting himself in trouble because we're doing homework, and he's bored. I've got the ball with the treat hole, and he LOVES it, but I don't like to give him that many treats so often. So, I'd like to see if anyone's had any luck with other toys to keep him occupied.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Hmmmm Intellectual :idea: Well you can teach counting.selective retrieving (ex:telephone for emergency),target training (ring doorbell to go out) to name a few. Perhaps doing a 'search' on dog training will give you some other ideas. Try different browsers for different results too!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I don't know of any intellectual toys, but I have another suggestion for keeping Napa out of trouble... tire him out! Is there a dog park nearby or maybe a neighbor with dogs that he can play with? I always find that after my dogs have been playing hard, they get pretty mellow and sleepy so I can get a lot done. Also, I'm sure there are people who would disagree with me, but I use rawhides to keep Davy busy when I really need to distract him. For example, I just gave him one now so I could finish this post! Good luck. :)

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I posted this morning we had just come back from a walk. We need something to keep him occupied while we do our homework, so training is kinda out of the question.

But as college students, we have just about the same time schedule as a normal 9-5 job, so taking him to the dog park at 5 or later (after dinner) isn't practical at the moment since its dark by 6ish. We're just looking for something that keeps his mind stimulated since he is such a smart dog, and out of trouble for an hour or so....

I really plan on starting my own diet plan, including exercise, so that means more walking for Napa. So, perhaps he will be more tired now, but I'm not sure. I'd like to have a back up plan because I know that when he's playing with the treat ball, he's running around the house trying to get the ball to drop its goodies, and not getting into our trash.... a new trick of his.

Any ideas would be great....

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
This isn't in any way intellectual, but when we give Dex/Kirby a knuckle bone they are easily occupied for hours! I don't know if it's a good every night solution, but maybe as one way to keep him occupied. In addition, maybe a Kong full of frozen food/treats?

Dex would never really entertain himself...now that we have Kirby they will entertain each other (sometimes) :) Good luck!

·
Registered
183 Posts
A tired out doodle is certainly a better doodle--but i do know they get bored and sometimes need to be amused. I have a couple of free toys that will keep Fred amused for a while. I put some dried dog food into a plastic soda bottle and he will chew on it for hours trying to get it out. Another thing he likes is to "find" a tennis ball that has been put into a shoe box. SOmetimes he will tear up the box trying to get to it. These freebies would probably not be a good idea if your dog eats things he shouldn't. Fred doesn't eat stuff--he just tears things up and spits them out, so these things work with him. It must be hard to study with an active doodle around :lol:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know!!! Napa meets new dogs and has tons of fun.... I just wish there was some way we could get another pup. I think Napa's finally at the point where he'd genuinely enjoy playing with others. Plus, he needs to grow up some since he's immature for his age since he had to stop socializing for the surgery..... and I know that another dog his size would still be fine here since he's just barely at 30-something lbs. *sigh* but keep the ideas coming!!!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ronnie said:
A tired out doodle is certainly a better doodle--but i do know they get bored and sometimes need to be amused. I have a couple of free toys that will keep Fred amused for a while. I put some dried dog food into a plastic soda bottle and he will chew on it for hours trying to get it out. Another thing he likes is to "find" a tennis ball that has been put into a shoe box. SOmetimes he will tear up the box trying to get to it. These freebies would probably not be a good idea if your dog eats things he shouldn't. Fred doesn't eat stuff--he just tears things up and spits them out, so these things work with him. It must be hard to study with an active doodle around :lol:
Things were great pre-surgery. But I think since he was contained for so long, he's just got too much energy. Plus he's 9 months old, and he's going through one of those terrible times.... And he's discovered out to be stealth, and that food is in the kitchen.... I think its just a stage, but its something we've got to deal with for the time being....

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Ronnie said:
Never EVER give your dog a plastic bottle to chew on!!! The chemicals that are released are deadly to dogs and people. The medical community are just now coming around to this "revelation" that chemists have long known about. The plasticizers in the soft plastics (like your soda bottle) is a known carcinogen. Please, don't use them! That includes baby toys that can (and will) go into the mouths of babes. It's just too risky.

That's why I can't get over all of you giving your dogs plastic bones to chew on (Nylabones) but shun the natural beef raw hides. It is an urban myth that dogs can't digest raw hide. All it is is dried beef hide.

Sorry, off the soap box now... :oops:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Nicky has Nylabones to chew on inside the house because I don't want rawhide all over my house. The Nylabones are in his toy box but he only chews them occasionally. Sometimes Nicky get rawhide outside, but he's a very strong chewer and consumes rawhide quickly. Then he acts like he has an upset stomach!

I really don't know what chew toys to give him. He has a Kong, but doesn't chew on it. He only wants to get treat out of it. It's ignored the rest of the time. He chews and swallows parts of soft toys and will also eat the stuffing, so those aren't allowed.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
When we need to keep the doodles busy, like you my wife and I are students, we give them a big cow marrow bone, put them in their crate or in the kitchen and they are occupied for hours, chewing away. We even did this for the superbowl and they left the cheesey nachos alone.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
how's Mija at Majong tiles? :wink:

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Too funny Vanessa! I'm thinking about taking up chess...think Mija would tutor me?? :wink:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
"intellectual toy"
Here's Mija's favorite:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
670 Posts
oh vanessa puuuuulease! lol :D

·
Registered
483 Posts
Intellectual Training

Well you can teach counting.selective retrieving (ex:telephone for emergency),target training (ring doorbell to go out)
Careful what you teach them!

Some friends of mine who lived by Lake Tahoe taught their Golden Retriever to "retrieve" the morning paper. That was really cute until, with snow piled to the rafters, the dog began showing up every morning with half a dozen or so newspapers. The neighbors found it less amusing than my friends did...

·
Registered
985 Posts
I had always given my dogs rawhide chews, and when a friend advised me against it I thought she was silly. She warned me that they could upset a dog's stomach and I said that had never been a problem. Went home, gave my dog some rawhide, and she upchucked. I swear she jinxed me, but I haven't used them since, except very sparingly. Different dogs can handle different things, obviously.

What about those plastic boxes that release treats more slowly if you set them that way? I've never used them but they seem to have some promise. Also you can try hiding Napa's toys; I got that idea from someone here and have been doing that. But Chouette finds them immediately so it doesn't keep her busy for long. And then I have to hide it again.

Chouette, at ten months and even much younger, learned that if I was at the computer I wasn't available for play. She often curls up at my feet when I'm sitting here. She does try us when we're eating, seductively bouncing her ball and watching to see if we "bite," but she's learning that that's a no-go either. Bottom line is that Napa has to learn to adjust to your needs and you can train him to do that. There's nothing wrong with his just sleeping while you work. That said, a nice marrow bone or a bone stuffed with cheese could keep him busy while he gets the idea.

Glad to hear that he's so well on the mend!

Leslie

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the ideas. He usually does curl up, unless he's really tired of being with us. Given that he's so light, and we're on carpetting, he's mastered the art of steathery. So, its dangerous. I'll have to do some web searching to find some more toys....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts