Labradoodle Forums banner

Where does your dog stay when you are not home?

• Free run of the house or a room

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Crate inside

• Kennel outside

• Wandering the neighbourhood

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the first 16 months or so of Hersheys life, she has been crated in the kitchen or the office when we are not home. We tried a brief stint of letting her have the run of the house but she has a penchant for chewing knives (another story). So now she is crated, and she likes it. Now the question, do you crate your dogs inside? or outside? A coworker of mine has a kennel outside for his dog and swears they enjoy outide smells and images so he keeps her out there during the day. The house we bought this summer has an outdoor kenel/dog house (the previous owners had a Rhodesian, beautifull!!). Its roofed, 4"x8" with wire on 3 sides, and a solid wall at the back, and a door to a walled in dog house in case she need more shelter. So today its supposed to be nice, 20 C, so i put her out there and we'll see how she is when I get home. I am leaving early today, so I thought it was a good time to try it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
If I lived in your climate and there was a secure outdoor place (not somewhere she could dig out of) to keep her during the day, I guess I would from time to time, but it isn't an option in the Florida heat. It was in the high 80s (F) yesterday with no end in sight.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Sandy has taken over the guest bedroom as his own. I (knock on wood) haven't had a problem with him yet - he gets into more trouble when I AM home!

·
Registered
448 Posts
I would dearly love to leave Nicky alone, either inside or outside, when I'm not at home. But I can't. Outside, if I'm not watching him, he digs up plants and sprinkler heads. Inside he has munched on baseboards and chair legs.

I look forward to the day when I can just say, "Bye, Nicky. See you later." and walk out the door without crating him. One day, when I was going to be gone less than an hour, I put him in his crate, closed the door, but left it unlocked. I expected Nicky to greet me at the door when I got home, but he stayed in the crate!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I agree, Tanner definitely gets into more trouble when I am home...I think it is attention seeking. If I say I am going to work..see you later...he goes to couch to sleep. He even saves his filled kong to eat when we get home

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I would love to change our situation...I just don't trust either yet for a full day. We have Kirby crated in the basement and Dexter has free reign of the basement (which is very small so he doesn't have much to reign over :)). I'm afraid to leave them alone together...sometimes Dexter bugs Kirby too much and we need to give them some alone time...so I worry what could happen in a full day. We have left them alone in the house for very short amounts of time (max of 45 min) and everything was fine. We'll see what they're like in a few months....or years :)

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Charlie is a crate boy. It's peace of mind for me to know he's not getting into trouble. However, if I had a cool dog house and run outside like yours, I'd certainly consider using it. I think my major concern would be theft. We leave in a Chicago suburb so the risk factor may be higher for us than it is for you.

Deb

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
blueteal said:
gene said:
Jonah has semi-free reign, Miko is kenneled.
Are you considering giving Miko free roaming rights soon or does that scare you?????????
You are toooooo funny! They get into enough trouble when I'm home.....I can't even imagine! :shock:

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
She seemed to be ok with the out door kennel today, even though it wasnt warm and sunny, it actually surprise thunderstormed and rained. I am glad it has a shingled roof!!

How do I embed a video in a post?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Marley's previous owners never crate trained her and when we got her, we went out and bought a big kennel and a dog house for our yard. That was almost a year ago and she's never really spent much time in it. We keep thinking about putting it on Craig's List. We slowly allowed her to stay inside whenever we were gone and we've had a few incidents but we learned from those (diapers have to go straight to the outside trash!) and so we generally leave her inside and just shut the bathroom and bedroom doors. She makes herself comfortable on the sofas in either the living or family rooms. She turns 2 in Nov and so she is very well behaved.
With Oski, we are crate training him and he goes in the crate when we are gone, except on the days I work outside the house because we're gone for over 8 hours. So he's been in our master bath vanity area with his crate open and a baby gate keeping him in the area. I don't know how long that will last, he's probably a week or so away from being able to jump high enough to climb over the gate.
My husband's goal is that both dogs learn to spend more time outside and would generally (weather permitting) be outside when we're not home. But I don't know if I'm on board with that. Time will tell.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Molly has run of the house, seeing as how she's 4 yrs. old! Raleigh on the other hand is definately crated!!! and probably will be until he's 4 too!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: Bwahahahahaha

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Max is good in the house but he's crated while we are gone.
Peanut? yeah right...we wouldn't have a furnished house if she was left to roam at 10mos old

they're crated inside as I don't want them outside while i am at work due to inclement weather and wild animals on our 6 acres.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Annabelle has roam of kitchen/dining room stairs hallway and has a doggie door to screen porch and then one to outside fenced yard, she isnt home alone much at all

·
Registered
113 Posts
Cody at 7 months still gets penned in the kitchen when we're gone for over 6 hours. Six and under he gets put in his crate. One day I hope we can give him run of at least the downstairs, but it will probably be a long time until that happens at the rate he's going these days.

G

·
During the day Maya stays in the garage and the back door is left open so she can go in the yard. At night I have been gating her in the kitchen but she has been getting out so I think it is back to the crate for her at night.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts