Labradoodle Forums banner

Injury? What to Check?

3K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  Maureen 
#1 ·
Yesterday was a normal day, hubby took Chester for a run no problem. Chester is almost 2. Then in the evening Chester laid down and didn't want to get back up. It seemed he could barely stand on his back legs. He didn't even want to go outside or upstairs. At some point during the night he did go upstairs and sleep in our daughter's room. This morning, he didn't want to go down the stairs and when he finally went out side he just sat down with his butt kind of shifted to the right. He appears to be favoring his left back leg. If we touch or move it he doesn't complain. I know a trip to the vet is in order but any thoughts on what to look for?

#2 ·
Oooooh, poor Chester!
Gosh, I have no clue as to why he is hurting, but I agree that he is hurting badly...as you know, dogs won't show outward signs of pain unless they can't help it. He must really hurt.
Please let us know what your vet tells you. I hope that it is just a pulled muscle or something. :cry:

#3 ·
Well Chester just got back from the vet. As soon as hubby got him there and out of the car...Chester was goofing around and playing. The vet said he couldn't see anything but gave him a shot just in case there was some inflamation. The vet wants us to bring him back in a few days for xrays on his hip. He watched Chester walk and said he wants to rule out hip dysplasia. He wasn't sure if he was favoring that side or if there is something more. I'm afraid for the poor pup!
:(

Send Chester some good positive thoughts!

#4 ·
Oh, gosh...yes...positive thoughts (and prayers) headed out for you and Chester!
I hope it is just something he was favoring until it felt better...and nothing more...it is always so frightening to know that our babies are in pain and they can't tell us why.
I'll be watching for the update once you know for sure...I am sorry that you are going through this.

#9 ·
I wish that was what it was. They were running on a crushed limestone path but often Chester wanders to the grassy part. He may have just slipped and it didn't bother him until later.
I'm hoping I'm just doing the "possible HD" flip out.

#11 ·
I imagine that you checked his paws carefully for little splinters of limestone?
One time Bayley had a sore foot, only I didn't know it (no signs) until one day I noticed that she had licked the fur off of the top of her foot! I checked and found nothing and worried that she might be getting some sort of compulsive bahavior problem...then I checked again and found a dirt clot, a very small one, on TOP of her foot, between her toes. It had been bleeding and was sort of healing around the dirt...must have been very painful but she never acted like it was.
Another time, Lexie started leaving bloody spots on the floor when she walked...again I checked all around, couldn't find anything...took her to the vet. He found an impacted toenail! A dose of antibiotics and she was fine.
When you said he had been on crushed limestone, it made me think of an article that I read once that said it takes dogs time to get used to small gravel in kennels and that sometimes it causes pretty serious sores on their feet...
Let's hope that is what is causing the problem!

#12 ·
Well Chester was much better beginning last evening and this morning. He was walking fine and even trotting around and wanted to play. We decided it would be best to keep him quiet for a few days (is that possible?). I hope what ever it was that was causing his problem is gone and the shot and medication aren't just masking symptoms.
We'll go back for xrays next week.

He's got to be all better for Saturday's Doodle Romp!

#14 ·
hey, I really feel for you with the "possible HD" looming! geez, no kidding! But the goofing and playing later does sound like a pulled muscle or something....did your vet do an x-ray? or have you seen ZERO signs of trouble since then?

And did anyone palpate for a specific injury site?

Jett's mom (Vicky) might be able to tip you off, after all she went thru wtih Jett... but we'll be wishing all the best for you with your Chesterpal!

#15 ·
We didn't get the xrays done yet. Since we brought him in without an appointment they didn't have time but we'll bring him in next week.
Chester has always had a bit of a weird gait but its never stopped him. He did seem much better last night and this morning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.