Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a dog at the moment and do love the labradoodle. One question I need to answer before going any further is how they get along with Cats as I have one.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Barbel, welcome.

Labradoodles are not high prey dogs, usually, but of course...they ARE dogs...so you could have a training issue on your hands if your puppy has not been raised with cats.

Check with your breeder and ask that your puppy be exposed to (nice, calm) cats regularly...that should help you in the transition.

My particular dogs loved cats and wanted to play with them...until the cat attacked! Then the age-old battle between cat and dog began...our dogs bark at cats and would love to chase them away...but I don't think they would harm them.

I would suggest that you select a breeder that raises the puppies in a home environment and one who shares the home with cats, if possible. Dogs raised in kennels may not be in a position to become accustomed to having cats around.

Also select a breeder who not only tests for medical issues but has chosen the parents carefully...based on temperament.

I am sure that many cat/doodle lovers will respond with good suggestions...I can't help much because my husband is allergic to animals so we have never owned a cat. Our dogs are great with cats unless the cat comes into our fenced back yard.

·
Registered
36 Posts
In my opinion, It often depends on the dog and the cat to whether they will get along.
Boomer got along with our three cats right from the beginning. What also helped, however, was that all of our cats are used to dogs and don't run away. They'll give the dog a swat if they are annoyed and that's that. Now they'll all sleep together!

My aunt adopted Boomer's sister and also has two cats. For her, it took a bit longer (a few months even) to stop the dog chasing after the cats each time. I think that it will work out in most cases though!

Jac's advice was good...try to find a breeder who introduces her puppies to cats.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum. My labradoodle, Murphy, is 9 months old. The breeder I bought her from had a cat around for the puppies to get used to. When we brough Murphy home at 13 weeks. she would chase our cats but only in play. We had 2 indoor cats that have been declawed and they were already used to our golden retreiver being around. The cats just tended to ignore the dogs. We had 2 outdoor cats that would not run from Murphy and they showed her their clawas once or twice and after that Murphy did not bother to chase them. This summer one of the outside cats had an injury to a front leg and had to have it amputated. He now also resides in the house and Murphy allows him to swat at her and does not retaliate. I think alot is how you introduce them to each other and if the puppy has been exposed to cats already. Hope this helps!http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n307/bbunger/DSC01446.jpg

·
Registered
59 Posts
My doodle Tucker chases our 2 cats around the house, but only because he thinks smelling kitty butt is the best thing in the world! The cats pretend like they hate him but they will follow him all over the house just to hiss at him... 8)

·
Registered
558 Posts
Our doodle and poodle were brought into the house with a kitty. The kitty is actually the boss. She lets the two of them chase for a bit. BUT she tells them when its over. AND we do chatch them snuggled up together when were are not looking. The kitty has checked on the puppies but with little interest so far. We haven't had a problem.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Welcome :) I have a cat in my whelping house and all my puppies are raised with "Libby" and it is hilarious to watch them play. A lot of my buyers have cats so I think it is a good thing to socialize my puppies with a cat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts