Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm planning on getting my first ever dog soon, a starter dog as some may put it.

What I'm looking for is an adult dog, already housebroken, easy disposition, freindly and a good trail dog. I'm a trail runner and a hiker and would like a dog that would enjoy being taken running or hiking or to the park to chase a tennis ball.

About me: 43 yo, single, work from 7-4, rarely travel, 1300 sq. foot house, 50x35 fenced backyard, nearby park and trailhead to the foothills trails is 1/2 miles away. I love dogs and they for the most part love me . . . . .but I have never been responsible for a dog but am willing to do the research.

Am I on the right track? Is a labradoodle a breed to consider?

Any advice and input would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Joe

·
Registered
853 Posts
I think an adult labradoodle would be a very good choice for you. Then you can tell if they will meet your expectations. Young puppies can't hike very far and they shouldn't go jogging until they are 18 months old and their bones and joints are developed. They can be left for longer periods of time, too, since you work. Not all dogs like to play fetch either. I think a labradoodle would be a great choice for you if you find one with the right temperament for you. Sometimes breeders have older dogs available that they thought they would use for breeding but, then for one reason or another decide not to. You could probably put in an application at your local dog rescue organizations and tell them what you are looking for. I'm sure other people on here will have suggestions for you too.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hi Joe

Sounds like you will make a great dog owner. There are probably any number of active dog breeds that would suit your lifestyle. I can't speak for all labradoodles, but ours LOVES to walk, run and fetch a stick or ball. She can't get enough of it. She also loves swimming.

It is great that you are considering giving an adult dog a new home. Keep in mind though, that rehome dogs can come with some baggage from their previous owners. There are several people on this site who have recently opened their homes to older pups or adult dogs and hopefully they will jump in with some good advice for you.

Best of luck in your search! Let us know if you become a dog owner.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Linda I have POURED over tons of ads, unfortunately none are in my area which is why I am considering getting another puppy from my breeder.

There's also poodle rescue who sometimes knows of poodle mixes. They're looking for me now

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
hhahahahahhaa my teenage boys now want to go see the goldendoodle puppies and I am also calling back the poodle rescue later tonight

Gracielou...6 days of the week we pour over ads for western ny. we almost know the websites by heart :wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts