Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a fabulous 6 month old cream labradoodle, Frankie, who likes to eat things whole. (Apparently, this is a common problem with labradoodles?) He chews his toys into little pieces (which he eats) until the last 2 or three inches which he swallows whole, only to throw them up a few days later. So far, we have been very lucky that everything has come out one end or the other, no blockages. We have been through an incredible number of expensive "indestructible" toys that he destoys in minutes, and the poor guy no longer gets edible treats bigger than a single bite, chewies, greenies, etc. Nylabones are IT for him. Anyone have any suggestions about other toys that he can chew but won't be able to eat? How about a cheap source for toys online?

Thanks,
Lauren

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hi Lauren! As Kelly said, Kong toys are great! They're not really "chew" toys but if you stuff them with food, most dogs will play with them for hours! The Kong company also makes a goodie bone and a goodie ship that can be stuffed with treats. The black kongs (instead of the red ones) are supposed to be more "indestructible". I fill kongs with the dog's kibble and a little bit of peanut butter or yogurt and freeze them. It can be a little messy, but it keeps them busy! I also like marrow bones (shin bones). I get the ones that are just plain and hollow in the middle- but you can buy ones that have a flavored filling. These last a long time as the dogs wear them down by chewing. I like www.dog.com for cheap dog supplies and toys. I think they are the cheapest. There is also jbpet.com petedge.com and many others! Hope this helps!

Bridget, Summer, and Duke

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yes and Sammy chews on her kong even when it has nothing in it! I think the rubber just feels good on her teeth. Sammy is 4 months and has the "puppy" one (white with pink on it) and it is softer for her puppy teeth, but she hasnt even poked a hole in it!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi! My dogs never did take to a kong...(they prefer sofas and shoes :roll: )
You can find good, cheap toys at www.petedge.com as well as other supplies...good store!
Also, my dogs love to play with bottle rings! You know, the ring that holds the lid in place when you are canning fruit? I get them a package of the large mouth ones and they play with it for a long time! I have never had them chew through it, although they do get mangled...
Also, ice cubes are a great toy! They all love to chase them around on the floor and then they enjoy eating them.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Gunner loves stuff toys. We bought him a huge Clifford The Big Red Dog at a flea market for $.75. Someone suggested cheap stuffed animals at Good Will. Be sure and take the eyes off and patch up the holes. Gunner hasn't really gotten into the chew it up stage, but he does enjoy bully sticks. We finally broke down and got him one and it lasted for days. It seems the cheapest place to purchase them is the local feed store. They cost about half the price of petsmart. Two liter soda bottles provide hours of entertainment.

Jac, are you talking about the red rubber rings that go between the jar and lid? Where do you get them?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Soda bottles are one of Chester's favorites too. He'll chase them and wrestle with them then when they get too mangled we toss them in the recycle bin.
He also likes to steal my daughter's stuffed toys from her room. She has a special "Chester Okay" pile where she lets him choose from. Its a game they play now so I guess it isn't really stealing it just makes him think he's getting away with something I guess.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
You guys have some great ideas!
No, Amanda, not the ones with the gummy part that seal, but the actual ring that screws on top...they look like a big O...nothing in the middle...I wish I could describe it better, but it is the one that has the threads that twist onto the glass bottle...let me know if you are still not sure and I'll try to find a picture of one. Hey, I do have picutres...my dogs playing with them...I'll try to get them and post a link to the pics.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Wow, Jac...great idea. I'll bet I have a jillion of these stashed away. Can't wait to try them.

Lauren, my doods destroy almost all chew toys, too. Anything stuffed is just fluff in a matter of minutes. I have tried a lot of so called indestructable toys.... and spent a lot of money on them. I've even had a couple of times when I was sure I had found just the thing and they ripped it to shreds in ten minutes. Tennis balls are toast, rope toys - the same.

What works for us for the longest are: Kongs (stuffed with biscuits and peanut butter), marrow bones, solid rubber "tennis" type balls and sometimes those really hard, compressed rawhide "bones". I'm careful with the rawhide not to let them finish off too much at the same time.

On a hopeful not, I think things are lasting a little longer for them lately (they're 8 months) and that the chewing is not quite as intense. They are definitely learning that some things are okay to chew (dog toys) and some things are not (shoes). But they still try! Good luck.

G

·
Jac - I loved the canning jar ring idea & gave one to Odie & he loved it & played with it for hours. BUT... he's such a "power chewer" that he crushed the metal & he poked a hole in the metal with his teeth which caused a rough metal burr & now his lip & tongue are bleeding!! He's not in pain & the cuts are not deep so I'm not worried- he'll be fine. Just to warn others-- if your dog is a real strong chewer, this may not be the best chew toy idea. Live & learn!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Fat Cat Stuffed Toys and Beef Knuckle Bones rule!

When Nigel turned about 6 months and had chewed thru every
plush toy in minutes, we found Fat Cat toys (online and at Target)
They are animal shaped and are canvas, so it looks like a stuffed
plush toy, but the canvas material is very, very resistant to holes.
The insides are filled with plush material or crackling material,
along with a squeaker. The crackle skunk is Nigel's fave. It's lastest
four months without any holes!

Then, my father gave him a Beef Knuckle bone. They are
packaged in plastic, look kind of gross, and pretty inexpensive at Petsmart and last forever. I was circumspect...until I saw
how much Nigel loved them.
They are the most satisfying chew in the world apparently b/c
Nigel doesn't stop for hours and they don't splinter or get all
long, unravelled and dangerous the way rawhide does. They can stain at first, so teach your dood to stay on his bed or towel while he enjoys it.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
We have a 13 week old doodle who has made short work of many toys in the 5 weeks we've had her. A friend gave her one of the Fat Cat toys about 3 weeks ago and she has not been able to chew it up!! It is one of her favorite toys. She also has a small beef leg bone we got at Petsmart which she loves. When I need to crate her I stuff it with peanut butter as a treat and she runs into her crate willingly. :D Lisa

·
Registered
158 Posts
We LOVE the knuckle bones, nylabone teething keys and kongs here. We usually buy them by the case!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Answer: How do beef knuckle bones smell?

Not bad at all.
There's a whiff of beefiness to them, but nothing unpleasant.
They go over big with doodles.
We just watched Michael's doodles, Pacha and Maggie recently,
along with our Nigel, when you unwrap a couple of those,
boy did they get quiet and happy to chew, chew, chew for what seemed like hours. give 'em a try!
And happy to hear the Fat Cat dog toys have worked out for others as well!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Actually the best toy we have found so far is an old T-shirt tied in two knots! Sammy unties the knots sometimes but thats easy to fix... and we can untie it and throw it in the washer when needed. She loves it and it is like a stuffed animal in texture, but not full of stuffing etc. She snuggles with it, chews on it, and plays with it by tossing it back and forth shaking her head! Really if your hubby has an old T-shirt just roll it up in the diagonal and tie knots on the two ends!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wilson is 7 months old and quite a chewer. Fortunately, he only chews what we have given him, but I am finding the same thing - he destroys the 'indestructable' in no time at all. Kongs seem to be the only thing that can hold up!
We thought we had a winner with the rope knot bones (just looking for some variety from the basic plastic Kong), but he shreds them and then throws up the strings...
Nylabones are no good - I think his record is chewing the end off in just under 3 minutes!
Aside from the Kongs, has anyone had any luck with anything else?
What are the 'rules' for at what age rawhides are ok? I thought I read somewhere that they were not very good for puppies. Also, if he is such a strong chewer, do I want to try the rawhide route?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts