Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little over two weeks ago we had Toby neutered. It seems that over the last week both Lani and Toby have increased the amount of time they spend trying to hump each other. Tonight it seems that is all they want to do besides chase each other down. Short of keeping them in their kennels nothing is working to keep them other wise occupied. They seem to becoming more vocal (growling and snarling) as they try to dominate each other. Is this normal? Lani is not fixed we can not spay her until after her first heat. Any suggesitons :?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Lisa, she might be getting ready for her heat cycle, my girls always start to hump about a month before they start. (I can't figure out why your vet needs to wait until after her heat...)

Yes, it is very, very normal...it is not sexual, but dominance. They will do this less when the hormone problem is not an issue...but they still may do it for dominance.

I dont' ever make a big deal of it, that seems to make them want to do it more...I just find things to distract them and that works for us.

Here you go...one of my "links"! LOL http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Conten ... C=0&A=1498

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jac, thanks for the link I will check it out. I realize it is dominance not sexual, the increase and timing just seemed to be weird! Lani has "puppy vaginitis" so we nwwd to wait until after her first heat to cure it, then we can spay her.

Another question how ling does a heat cycle usually last? Thanks.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I was just logged on to post a question "Crazy Humping After Neutering" and there was your topic! Archie is driving us crazy with it. Poor Chester! We'll let it go for a bit because it will usually turn into a wrestling match, but when they get to snappy and bitey we have to break them up. So based on Jac's response, this is a phase and will pass...boy I hope so. I guess I just don't remember it with Chester.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Good morning...

Lisa, it is the vaginitis! That could be the cause...if she is itching (I know, sounds funny) she will hump to relieve it...but still, could be aggravated by her approaching cycle.

Yep, Archie is probably reaching some hormonal changes too...but still, dogs just do this and if you don't make a fuss, they usually don't carry on too much or too long...honestly, my dogs are easily distracted from humping because I don't make it anything different than when they are licking their paws too much...I just find a distraction, a ball is great!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chesterpal it is good to know that Archie is doing this also, we are not alone. Do you think this wasn't an issue with Chester because you didn't have another dog at the time. Lani and Toby are getting kind of nasty also and that is when I try to distract them. It usually only works for a matter of minutes.

Jac, Archie is Toby's brother. They seem to be more alike than just their looks! :lol:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
hahahaha...well, they are alike ... together with all the others in their species! LOL

You see, in the canine world, this is not at all shocking or bad behavior...only to humans. They are doing what is very natural for them to do. It doesn't make them yucky or perverted. :wink:

·
Registered
689 Posts
No, not yucky or perverted...just annoying! We tell Archie "No means no".
Then we kind of root for Chester when he finally has had enough pestering and reminds Archie he's about twice his size.
This will pass and we'll be on to whatever the next stage brings...

Lisa I'm looking forward to the next Doodle romp we can both attend. It should be fun seeing the brothers together.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Annoying is right because they have become more aggressive and vocal as they vie for that dominance. And if you are in their path you can get a stray mouth as they go after one another! :shock: I will be glad when this all settles down.

I was so bummed that I won't be in town for the romp next weekend and my husband said he wasn't going to take them! Hopefully the September romp will work out! Until then here are a couple of pictures from today.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts