Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
shaia has what i think is kennel cough - she gets a hacking, retching cough (usually has fits around 3am, sometimes during the day). of course she was vaccinated but came back from daycare and 3 days later it started. i know there are strains not covered by the vaccine. she also came home with MOUTH WARTS :shock:

i have been giving her honey to help with the cough until it runs its course. i also read it's safe to give vitamin C. can anyone recommend an immune boosting product? her mother only nursed the pups for 2.5 weeks and then refused, and i think it's affected her immune system in general - she seems to get sick a lot. she's 9 months now. thanks.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
have you tried calling your vet? i don't know of any natural remedies

·
Registered
576 Posts
After you get her checked out, you may want to add Missing Link to her food. You can google it. It's a powder that you sprinkle a few teaspoons a day on their food and it has loads of good stuff in it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the suggestion - missing link looks good, actually. wysong has some good booster products too. i don't want to add too much additional protein though.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Side effect to the bortetella vaccine is actually "kennel cough" im pretty sure it states it in the pamphlet that the vaccine is in. possible if your doggie was just vaccinated for it. I think also distemper.

Many times right before families board their critters they update them with their vaxs so many times there are also live viruses going around. Of course some vets will disagree .. not ours!

Michele

·
Registered
156 Posts
oooh oooh see if you can get some organic cold expressed virgin coconut oil. Coconut oil can be mixed with their food and has sooooo many good effects plus is a big immune booster.

michele

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
When I got my two Poodles, they arrived with kennel cough (no one's fault, it just happens) and one was much sicker than the other.
She was so small and coughed so hard that I really worried for her.
The vet gave her lots ot things, antibiotics, cough meds, etc. but nothing really helped. Her brother got better but she just kept hacking....so one day I found a web site that talked about colodial sliver...I went to the health food store and bought some. I gave her a few drops twice a day and within about 3 days she stopped coughing!
I have even taken colodial silver, since it is safe for humans too. It is a form of antibiotic and it is in liquid form, it is tasteless, odorless and I even use it on wounds!
Really...when my dogs have gotten foxtails in their feet or legs and the wound is raw, I put colidial silver on the wound and by morning it is better!
Some people (my sister in law, for instance) says that colodial silver is really bad...but she doesn't say how or where she got her info...and my research said that it is a great antibiotic...it has proven to be really good for us. (When people take it orally in large doses, it can turn skin purple! LOL So, I'd not suggest that humans use it much...)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that's interesting re Colloidal silver. since i work in nutrition, i've come across its benefits but never used it. and i saw something on tv about a man who took too much and turned blue :lol:

at any rate, she is doing much better just from the honey and the immune supp i've been giving her that's actually for humans but it has colostrum and a relatively low dose of vita C. my understanding is that antibiotics won't help kennel cough since it is a virus. thx for all the input. i think i'll end up adding something to her food in the future for a bit.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I am glad she is feeling better, Mary.
It is so hard to see them sick.
Nothing the vet did helped my girl, after I used Colidial Silver for 2 days, she was fine! (No need for the long term, turn them blue, duration! LOL)

·
Registered
385 Posts
my 2cents might be too late but we found out Manchego has allergies and in my holistic dog book they recommend fish oils and vitamin e supplements. We are trying that but just started so I don't know how it's working yet.

:)
Sarah

1 - 11 of 11 Posts