Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we have had our pup for a while 3 weeks and 2 days now. We were going to wait until spring had official sprung here in Ontario before we made the addition to the family but it just didn't seem to happen that way. We found out that my wife would be on shut down for 3 weeks so we thought this would be the perfect time to get a dog.

And so far we have been very fortunate. Our dog is so good. I mean he still loves to chew ANYTHING and has "wacky doodle time" at very strange times of the day but all in all, we are have been very happy.

Well today is the day my wife went back to work. So we have to keep Link in the Crate a lot longer than we ever have before. I am worried he will rebel a bit and that he will grow to hate his crate.

I mean, he's in it at night from about 10pm until 4:30am when my wife gets up for work. Then he goes back in it at like 5:30 until I get up and take him out at 6:45. Then he's back in until about 10:30 or so when we have asked my wife's mom to come over and let him out and play with him for a while. And lastly he gets out for good between the hours of 12 and 2 when my wife gets home.

I just feel like we are keeping him in there for so long. Especially when he is used to being out all day with the occasional trip the crate for an hour or so during the day while my wife was off.

Is this ok...? Are we doing everything the way we should?

I guess I just feel guilty :(

·
Registered
121 Posts
Im sure hes fine...

During the week, there is typicaly a max of 6-7 hours that Bandit is in the crate. From the time the boy leaves in the morning until we get home myself and the boy get home about the same time. We do try to get home for lunch every once in a while (2-3 times a week). But that isnt always possible.

The boy also goes off track every 9 weeks and is home for 3 weeks. That first couple days is tough on them both, but we make sure a radio is left on, and he has some safe chew toys (kongs, etc) that have some treats in there for him.

When he gets let out he is a very happy guy and knows its playtime. They do adjust pretty well to change.

I dont think he hates his crate at all... the door is left open in the evening and he will go in there and lay down to rest, etc and then come out and play for a bit. He knows thats his space and he owns it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I guess his first day wasn't so bad. His grandma came by to let him out and play with him for an hour and it turned into her taking him to her place and letting him run around with their dog for 3 hours in the back yard.

Tough life :p

Although today when I was leaving for work he was way more vocal than he has been in a while... I hate leaving when he sounds like that.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Good morning, I am glad to see that Link had a pretty good day, actually when Grandma arrived he probably was spoiled! :wink:
I think that he will get used to your schedule and be fine. I like the fact that Grandma is able to stop by and let him out. That is really what he needs is a break...and you have arranged for that.
You might want to check with neighbors to see if someone would be willing to stop by before Grandma to let him out, but it really isn't necessary unless Grandma can't make it. (But you should have a back up plan for when Grandma can't come and the person selected should not be a stranger to Link, but someone he likes to see/play with.)
If Link were to be in his crate until 6 pm, I would be a bit more uncomfortable with the schedule, but you are actually home with him much of the time he is crated, which is often the case when potty training a puppy and the actual alone time seems not to exceed the 6 hours (targeted by experts as the maximum crate time.)
I am sending a web page address that you might want to look at if Link shows signs of anxiety when you are leaving/gone.
Good luck! http://www.caninelullabies.com/index.ph ... =Home_Page

1 - 6 of 6 Posts