Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a few months ago that the skin on his chest looked dark - the rest of his skin looked pink and healthy - I asked around and someone mentioned to me that it was probably his tags staining his fur & skin. Well, today I gave him a bath and almost started crying :( His coat is so thin now and most of his skin has turned an ugly blackish purple with the exception of his back and top of his hind legs. He looks like a walking bruise.

I called the vet a few minutes ago and they want to see him immediately. Please say a little prayer that its nothing.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Poor Sandy!
We're praying here that it is nothing serious...
Feel better soon and try not to worry too much mommy!

With healing licks & prayers for healing,
Sammy and Alicia

·
Registered
593 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So the vet says he has a nasty yeast infection in his skin from allergies - We've got a new antihistamine, special yeast shampoo, 3V Caps supplement (fish oil & all) and instructions to try another new food. Recheck in a month.

The good news is that because it wasn't serious we were able to save $41 and combine the visit with his annual check up and he got all his vaccines. He weighed in at 43.4 pounds. He's perfect except for being an allergic mess of a dog!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Our best wishes go out to you and Sandy Deb!!

G

·
I am glad it's not too serious. Hopefully you will be able to find him a food he can eat with out flaring his allergies.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
((((((((kristin and sandy))))))))))))) so glad to hear it's not very serious illeness and a yeast infection that will go away with meds.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Kristen, I just saw this. Glad that it turned out as it did. Puppy prayers and hugs going out your way. Hope for a speedy recovery and good luck with the new food. Pleas keep us updated!

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Kristen, the 3 of us are relieved that Sandy's problems aren't serious!!!
Keep us posted on how he makes out! :wink:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Did they give him more vaxs today too?

Our poodle has vaccinosis and has had chronic yeast infections. In many of the vaccines there are yeast related biproducts along with the neomycin that causes yeast infections in many humans and pets. I would recommend to give him lots of probiotics. I know many have different views however an antihistime may just dig the root of the issue further supressing it and causing more yeast outbreaks. Also check pet shampoos as many contain chemicals that can aggravate the skin even though they are labeled for allergies etc.
Wheat, corn, gluten, soy are big yeast contributors also.

Neem oil is wonderful and quick relief for the skin. We have a shampoo that contains a good amount of it. Your vet is correct good to take the fish oils especially if it is cod liver or krill oil . Krill the best and cod is good too. They both tend to be higher quality then a basic "fish" oil.

Glad it is nothing serious.

Michele[/quote]

·
Registered
156 Posts
i just read your post again and see it does say he received his vaxs today. especially since he is already exhibiting skin issues really keep an eye on him of how he is doing even 72hrs after.

Our poodle is the classic allergic dog which 3 vets even a traditional one say it was from his puppy vaccines. One even ran specific tests of specific toxins and the levels of metal. He has been detoxd though now several times and cant eat chicken or beef especially since now they are fed antiobiotics and hormones. If he does eat chicken it has to be true free range organic . However since we have several dogs and it gets $ while we love him he is a rescue and elderly so we have started supplementing him with a dry that contains duck and or venison and his ears and skin has cleared up so much the last few years. He was TOTALLY discolored. I will see if i can find an old pic

Michele

1 - 20 of 34 Posts