Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, a good friend and neighbor informed me that a suspicious vehicle has been cruising the subdivision and the individuals were seen taking photos of my house as well as her house. She called the police. Today, another neighbor told me she saw someone taking photos of my house and it didn't look right, so she called the police as well. We have had an an onslaught of robberies the last few days and it looks like my house may be the next target. The police have increased their patrols, but I am so fearful and scared. We moved here to get away from this kind of crime. My previous home in a large city was burglarized once and a second attempt made while I was home. We moved! I've already contacted a realtor and to my dismay we are unable to sell at this time because the market has taken such a downturn. I have our four-month-old doodle, Puddles, and two little kids and I am a stay-at-home mom. My husband works LONG hours, but the police have told me that most of the crime is happening at night. We are scared to bits! I worry about all of our safety. On Friday, I'll be away most of the day and I've already arranged for Puddles to be in doggie day care. I will not leave him alone! I have such a stomach ache!

G

·
Natalie, try not to freak out! Sometimes realtors who are trying to get reports on comparable properties take photos of houses. Did you purchase recently?
That said, take your cell phone to bed with you and call the police at the slightest noise. I would hate to think they would risk breaking in when you are home.

G

·
Natalie...I am sorry to hear this!! Take care of your family!!! Maybe get a sign from ADT or home security com and put it outside your house. Maybe that will deter them.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Yikes I do not know what to say........
Is your hubby home in the evenings???????????
If not is there someone who can stay with you to ease
your worries a bit?

G

·
OH! The ADT sign or alarm sign is a great idea, you can get them on EBay. I like the Honeywell one:
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dl ... category0=

Another thing I read to do is to put a HUGE dog bowl on the porch or deck, maybe stencil "KILLER" on it!

I would definitely see if someone wants to visit and stay with you so you can get some sleep. Hopefully they will catch them soon.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your suggestions! It just has us shaken to the core. The car was an old beat-up number and the people really sketchy. One neighbor tried to talk to them to see what they were doing, but they sped off...definitely not realtors. We are doing everything we can possibly think of to deter these guys. Puddles' crate is next to the back slider door and I'm thinking of moving him until these guys get caught. I really don't want to take any chances!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Natalie, I am so sorry this has scared you, hopefully it was just realtors taking comparison photos - were the neighbors close enough to get a plate # or type of car?

If you are that afraid, you might want to check into getting an alarm system that covers all the doors and window that you can have on all the time, home or not. An alarm that goes off when someone breaks a barrier does tend to scare people off and you can chose to pay a monthly fee so they are monitored and police dispatched if alarm goes off and you dont answer the phone to the alarm company. Our friends had one put in as he traveled alot, was a great piece of mind when L&B were home alone. Stronger locks on doors and windows?

As others suggested, do you have a friend or family member who can stay with you when your hubby is out of town or going to be very late getting home?

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I'm sorry to hear this :( I agree with Linda - I would put up a security alarm sign even if you don't have one. Do you have any motion lights out front? If not, maybe install one (we have one on our garage).

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Dead bolt locks, lights and more lights, if you are alone, put a big pair of muddy work boots (you can get at thrift store) on your front porch. Notify your neighbors and ask that they keep their porch lights on as well.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
How scary natalie! I'm a realtor and I don't take picture for comps. I do my comps with the Multi-list service.
I think a security alarm sign would be awesome. Can you get a price on a security system? I'm actually thinking of doing that myself.
It's like no matter where we live, we have to be careful. This economy is so bad that we all have to watch and be sure they're not casing us.
Prayers for the safety of you & your family.

·
Registered
183 Posts
An outside motion detector light is a good idea. It would probably scare off anyone who came into your yard after dark. I think you can get something that screws into your existing light--so it is something you can do right away. You could also add some timers to your inside lights so even if you are not home, it will look like someone is there.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
How scary and creepy! Perhaps they were deterred since your neighbors noticed and confronted them? It wouldn't make sense to advertise a potential burglary.

Do any of your friends have a big scary dog you could borrow? You want to be alerted to anyone approaching your house.

Deb

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We haven't shared too much of this with our little kids, but my 5 year old daughter has overheard a little and asked me if we could set some boobie traps like in Home Alone to get the bad men...LOL.

We are definitely investing in a home security system. I suspect they are hoping that we are going away for Memorial Day and will be watching our house closely. We are borrowing someone's security sign and will be leaving all the exterior lights on and some interior lights on all night. Our house is less than two years old, so the windows are double paned and our yard is fenced-in with a six foot fence and the gate is locked with a padlock. I think we are being targeted because construction has not begun on the lot behind our house and it's dark back there.

The thing that is so unsettling is that some creep is staring at a picture of my house trying to think of the best way in---ICK! It just makes my skin crawl. But thank you for letting me vent today, it's just been on my mind and I feel useless trying to focus on anything. Many of our neighbors have called the police, so I really hope they catch these guys quick! Thanks again for your well wishes! It really is a scary time and I am just thankful that I have really great neighbors who took notice and gave us a heads-up. Our whole street is on "high alert" and we have a neighborhood watch who is patroling all night as well as the police who said they would come add our subdivision to their patrols. Hopefully, in the end, the bad guys will be sorry they ever messed with us!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
I agree with lights, lights and more lights !

We leave our front and back porch lights on all the time, dusk to dawn so we never forget or if we get home after dark they are on

we also have motion flood lights at the garage and the back of house, our neighbor has one on the other side that kicks on if someone walks in our side yard, when we lived in Florida I had motion flood lights on all 4 corners of the house and front and back porch lights that were always on, I like the ones that come on at dark and go off in daylight so house is always has some outside lights on, then the motions kick on if someone or something gets close to house

Also if you have any hedges in front of windows, trim them down Verylow or take them out - you dont' want to give people a hiding place, that was first thing we did when we moved in this house as they hedges were really high

Another option is contacting your electric company and having a sodium light put in your backyard, not sure what the cost to install is, but most Elec companies charge 10-20 a month on your elec bil for the light and power. Neighbor on other side of us has one and it illuminates part of our back yard - I have considered putting one on other side of back yard as that back corner is pretty dark.

I have inside light timer for living room light, I also have several inside lights I leave on 24/7 whether we are home or not - downstairs hall light, light over kitchen sink. It does not cost that much and if someone is watching house, the lighting is the same all the time.

In florida we had hurrican shutters on all windows and all doors except front door which had a security screen door with key lock and front door had 2 locks so we were pretty secure, I miss having the shutters, felt very secure with them

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I had a guy at my door in about June, 11-12 years ago? He had leather gloves on and my neighbor saw him and questioned him. He left real quickly..we were out of town. Nosey neighbors are the best. Now I think my 4 barking dogs probably chase anyone away.
Yes I think you should have someone stay with you when your hubby is gone, at least until Puddles grows and gets her "big dog" bark. With my hubby on the road, I have been scared. Luckily for me the couple attempts I have stopped both had loud mufflers...can you believe that? Why on earth would anyone think they could be sneeky with a loud muffler? :?
Also....add a hugh cow bone with the ""killer" bowl. You can get them cheap at walmart. We have often laughed upon returning home at our yard with those things in it. Obvious sign of a big dog. Puddles will appreciate them also....great for teething and saving your house from getting chewed up!
I feel so bad for you...and know how you feel. And yes...keep that cell phone close.
This is why I have always had dogs and have been so dependent on them...when you think you heard something, they confirm it!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
though Toby would probably open the door for anyone..Lucky and
Sabrina would give us ample warning if any intruder s tried to
enter the house..

911 and a few toy s would keep any intruder busy or dead
by time the police arrive..

BE AWARE of people coming to ur door trying to sell a security
system..they may be just trying to case ur house out..

Lucky and Sabrina happened to welcome such a person that came to
the door..naturally i said i was fine with what i had..

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
NATALIE honey I do feel for you and know the fear and sense of lost security as in the past 8 years I had 2 break ins...luckily nothing of real value was taken and we also put the kids in jail

NOW what did i do for security?

1. ADT security installed , i pay $32 a month for monitoring along with my kids or anyone can press the 911 or fire etc buttons to get immediate help

2. I also have INFARED cameras installed outside my house

3. Lastly, MAX is one of the best ALARMS there is, he is now a BIG BLACK DOG with a DEEP BARK

4. Let your doodle sleep in your room even a puppy will alert you to sounds.
When Max or Peanut bark I do tend to check things out 1st, thank them for barking and if nothing is out there tell them to hush :wink:
I do find when i am home alone Max is protective of me and the house.

calling 911 EACH TIME and reporting someone taking pics or even Parking and sitting there-- may aid them in finding these creeps, the more neighbors that call the better then the police HAVE to do something.

NOTE IF you use a cordless phone that person can pick up on calls, so in past i'd use a $14 old fashioned phone to make the 911 call so the person parked didnt know :wink:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Sorry for your worries. You will feel better once the alarm system is in.

In the meantime, do you have a car alarm? If you do, keep your car keys beside your bed at night, and if you hear anything suspicious outside, press your car alarm. The noise should scare them away.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts