Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have doodles that find "trophies" in the yard and carry them around and drop them at the back door to greet you when you go out side. Its kinda creeping me out to have to pick it up. its happening ALL DAY! they are not going out again until tomorrw, i need a break.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well....my best guess is 1 week old bunnies. They had not open their eyes yet. I found one while we fetched and thought WTF!! with all the puppy pics on here it made me double take and think a stray had puppies under the deck. i had to really look closely to see it was a bunny. I looked over the yard and didnt see anything else....

Then later we went out again and Gus came running over with one in his mouth. DROP IT. glad he knows his commands.....i looked over the yard again, empty. this was repeated 4 TIMES. i dont know where they find them, they dont look for them when i am watching. but i am kinda freaked out to go in the yard again and have them drop one at my feet again.

·
Registered
150 Posts
It's that time of the year. Lots of bunny nests. My two have found a couple in our backyard this spring also. They're dogs; that's what they do.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
the other things are MOLES hahhaaaaa
i know i shouldn't laugh but i remember last year Max and Peanut passing something back and forth sooooooooooooooo I tell Peanut to STOP and
thought she had a black sock in her mouth

my son could not stop laughing cause for the life of me
i had the hardest time trying to hold onto what i thought
was a slobbery slimy sock.....ONLY to finally pull out a dead black
slimy mole. I screamed and it went flying across the room
and my son could not pick it up cause he was holding his stomach
from laughter hahhaaaaaaaaaa

sorry to hear about the bunnies....or perhaps they could be moles?
and it's a dog's natural instinct...remember doodles come from hunting backgrounds

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
the most freaky thing was when he brought in a gopher snake
as a trophy..he drop d it at my feet and the look on his face..*For you papa*..

AND IT WAS STILL ALIVE..the wife was so freaked she ran out of the house and would nt back in till i threw the snake over the fence and shampoo d the area of the rug..

then there was the cat who kept bring home live birds and letting them loose in the house. :roll:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Nicky sometimes finds small creatures (not bugs) in the backyard to carry around and toss, but I'm not quite sure what they are. By the time I see them they're dead and wet from being in Nicky's mouth and I haven't examined them closely. (Too yucky!) They are dark in color (at least when wet) and only a couple of inches long.

He hasn't found any snakes, but he did have a bird one day. I don't know if he caught it or if it was dead when he found it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yikes!

I don't suppose there is any way to prevent this is there? Last summer our neighbor dog, Tinkerbell (a pitbull), was bitten by a copperhead. Her face was so swollen - it was so sad. :( The vet told them that snake bites are fairly common in our area because dogs try to catch them. I would hate for Kirby to be hurt. So far he has only brought in the remains of what was possibly a squirrel. It was terrible!! One day he came in SO Happy; he was crunching on its skull with black decomposing flesh still attached. :shock: My children and I went hunting for the remaining peices (all over the yard) and threw them away. Is it bad for a dog to eat these things? Kirby likes to lay under the deck on hot days and I wonder what he has hidden under there (and what will be hiding under there this summer). :? Any advice would be great.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
We have a screened in summer porch that we put in for
our cats. This way they can get fresh air without actually being outside.
The bottom part of the porch is lattice and unfortunately the smallest
of birds can fly in.............You would think with nine cats sitting
out there at any given time that these birds would stay away......
The other morning I noticed two of the cats were running around the porch like crazy and I knew that is not good. I went out to see one cat
had the bird in his mouth and the other cat was trying to steal it.
When the second cat got the bird in his mouth I figured that is the end of that, but he let go for a moment and the bird got away..........
Good thing because now all the cats were coming outside to see
what was going on. Anyway bird landed in the yard but was not moving, so I went ouside and tried to see if it was ok to fly but it did not move.............a few moments later he flew away...............I only
hope he tells all his friends to stay away.....
Unfortunately this was a happy ending but twice before it has not been
Can you imagine being a bird and flying into an area with nine cats waiting for you???????????
Time to screen in the lattice.....................

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I am sharing your pain!

Last week, while I was getting ready for work, the 2 doodles were being too quiet... so I went to find out what was going on... it appears they had found one of Annabelle's kills (frog about 2 inches long) had brought it into the house and were proudly sitting on the couch with it!

This morning, I heard a lot of commotion outside, between the 2 dogs and the husband... apparently Della had a bunny, small but old enough to have hair and was running like a crazed animal around the back yard!!! Lucas was chasing Della so they could share the bunny, and Husband was chasing both. Finally DH was able get the bunny from Della, but was not happy about it.

Poor bunny did not make it... wondering if Annabelle had gotten to the bunny first, and then the doodles went to finish the job!

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
My friend had a lovely German Shepherd female that she found rolling on a dead rotted skunk carcass in her yard. She was totally grossed out by the smell of the thing, but took it away, and buried it. She gave Sheba a bath and turned her out in the yard to dry. Soon after, the dog was back in the yard with the same "treasure" rolling on it again. This happened again later in the day... That skunk could just not stay buried!

She finally put it in an incinerator and torched it. LOL

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have a friend who has a Bernese Mountain dog that brought a cat leg into the house. She thought that it was a stick until she gave the drop it command and went to pick it up :shock: She couldn't find the other part but knew that her dog wasn't the killer for Willie doesn't leave the yard and there were no other signs of the poor kitty. :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts