Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay........last Sunday, Bogie started having horrible runs from whatever he ate.
There was actually some red blood in the stool when it went to the lab. He had no parasites, but there were twigs and grass in his poo sample. Vet said he got into something. He told me there's no obstruction. Bogie has been on hamburger rice now for 5 days....that's all.
For two days....he only poo'd once a day.....unusual. One day he didn't even go.
He didn't have a solid poo until yesterday. The color was dark, dark brown. Well..........this morning it looked almost black and it looked almost black just now. You know what I mean? Not like black licorice....but that deep deep brownish black.
Ya know what I'm thinking....and I don't want to think that.
Is it possible the hamburger could be making it that dark, different color? Or the medication? Or was there left over blood from before?? This scares the heck out of me.
Tomorrow, we're suppose to board him until Sunday afternoon as we have a party to go to.........I don't even know what to do.

Has anyone ever experienced this??.........and had nothing wrong??
Of course...it's the weekend again... :roll:

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hope your doodle's track gets back on track soon!
hahahha!!.......me too! Thanks Vanessa!!

You've made me feel better knowing you've been there and it was okay for Mija! WHEW!!

I did forget to add that the vet never physically examined Bogie.......they just sent the stool sample out. So, I'm not sure how he knows it's not an obstruction. I'm just going to trust that it's not right now!
I'll have to tell the kennel to watch him tomorrow.....Now I hate leaving him. With any luck we'll have a brighter color tomorrow and put us at ease!!
Was Mija's stool that dark too?

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Well, here I am Linda...jumping in to dampen your happiness...sorry...but I would take a sample of the black stool in to the vet.
Yes, I would wonder the same thing you are.
I doubt that you have a lot to worry about, but if it is blood in the stool it could be something wrong internally. When it is red streaks it isn't such a worry and usually goes away quickly.
The diet is a good one, but I know that you are worried that he ate a stick or something that tore part of his stomach or intestines it is best to have the vet check again.
Did they x-ray him? If not, I'd ask for one. Yes, they are expensive (probably around $120-150) but the peace of mind is worth a lot too.
At the very least, I'd take the stool in for the vet to have a look. They ususally want a fresh sample, so if your vet is open on Saturday, I'd get it in today.
Best wishes to you and Bogie!

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know Jacque. That's where I'm coming from too. Bogie had to be boarded by noon and he didn't poo this morning for a sample... :roll:
SO.....he's at the kennel and they're watching. I did just speak to the vets office and they said it's probably nothing...see what happens by Monday. Since he's eating, playing and not lethargic in any way...they feel it'll be fine.......not to worry. Yeah, right???!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Linda....i am with the others on this one, PLEASE have them do a physical exam to palpatate her and TAKE an xray to be on the safe side

and please keep us updated/posted as I know how worriesome this is, we went thru something similar last year.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll definitely take a stool sample in if not gone by tomorrow...........It's a bad night for him to be boarded because now I'm going to worry! :?
We have the dinner party at 6 PM tonight and he spends the night because we won't be home til at least midnight..............oh brother!!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Linda, that is a beautiful picture of Bogie on your Avatar!
Try not to worry...I know it is hard, but your vet is right to say that his other signs are really good.
I hope that his signs keep improving...he is still in my thoughts and prayers.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Jacque..............I just read your thread on the dog that ate tinfoil!! :cry: Makes ya wonder what could be going on here too.
We got home from our dinner party at about 2 AM..........I'm still awake and cannot WAIT to see my little guy tomorrow and know he's okay!!

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So far so good, because he's now playing with the dogs in play group! I'll ask when we pick him up at around 3 today if there were any problems. They were asked to watch if all day and night.
I called last night before we left for the dinner party. One of the guys that works there said that as long as he's solid, he should be fine. Because, with having had the rhea for 5 days..........it's not unusual to be dark. :roll: Well, that at least made me feel better enough to go out last night!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Good, Linda! I am looking forward to the update on Bogie, when you have any news...I'm interested and praying!

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone soooo much! It's a great group here who worries about the welfare of all our doodles!
Bogie is FINE!! YAY!!!! He's tired from his overnighter at the Petritz and had a normal poo tonight.......It's so cold here and he did it wayyyyyyy out back in the yard. I walked in the wind and subzero temps to pick it up and take a peek...........PERFECT!!
Aren't good poo's the BEST!! hahahahaha!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts