Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My twelve week year old puppies only listen to me when I give commands on their leash or when I do their little training session right before bed. Any other time time they just look at me and continue playing. How can I get them to listen to me all the time?

P.S. Am I expecting to much of them at this age? :(

·
Registered
121 Posts
Basic obedience is best done on leash.

I think @ 12 weeks that is a bit much to expect of them.

I dont believe we started training Bandit until ~5 months. He is about to graduate intermediate obedience which is a lot of off leash work. He still falters, but getting better. @ 8 months now, he is quite a bit different pup than he was 3 months ago.

Consistent, persistent, patient training is the key. Dont expect giant leaps, but puppy steps (pun intended).

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Hi, I think the short polite answer is yes, you are expecting more than is realistic of a 12wk old baby. If you are getting good results on a leash in your training times then CELEBRATE! that's great!

I have had dogs as an adult since 1989 and have never heard of anyone doing off-leash training until a puppy or dog had fairly managed the on-leash stuff.

Way to go, on your attentive training!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hi! Did you say puppies? How many do you have? I have two litter mates who are now 11 months old. Training is more of a challenge when you have more than one pup because they are so fascinated with each other. I agree with Maureen and Keith...12 weeks is very young even for one pup at a time to be attentive off leash. I suggest you take them separately on leash for very brief training sessions. Their attention spans will extend with time.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
We started out with littermates and they are certainly twice the joy and love but also twice the work...I wouldn't change a thing, though.
What I would suggest is that you separate them for training and that the first thing you work on is making them pay attention to you and to acknowledge you when you say their names.
This can be as simple as giving a treat every time they look at you...and every time they respond when you say or whisper their name.
Remember that they will do most things for rewards and you have to make the reward for responding grater than the reward of ignoring you. (Meaning that if they are playing and ignoring you, they are happy with the result...but if you give them a better reward for paying attention to you...that might trump the fun.)
Also...hold the treat to your nose so that they will look at you.
Another great way to train dogs is to tether them to you...that way they have to look to you for cues...when you get up to walk away, they have to go with you...so they will watch.
But, I promise...you will have a tough time of trainign them if you don't get them used to separate times.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts