Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had Cody shaved down for the summer and he is a pretty happy pooch and a cleaner one too. The lady we board him with did warn me about something though. She said that if you shave a large, hairy dog they will be more likely to have a heat stroke. I don't know if it's true or not (maybe someone can enlighten me) but I thought I should pass it on. Since they don't have sweat glands, dogs use their hair as insulation in the heat. Shaving them gives them no protection from the heat. I don't know what naturally short-haired dogs do. Anyway, just in case....make sure your shaved doodle gets lots of water, shade or indoor time in the summer.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Angela, that is good information. I don't know either...but it makes sense...I have heard that the dog's coat acts to insullate him/her in heat as well as cold weather...I'd also watch out for sunburn!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I heard something similar to this.

I was at the dog park and it was hot, some women brought in her chow that she had shaved. Someone who worked at a vets office told me that a lot of people shave their long hair dogs during the summer cause they think their hair will be too hot, when in reality their hair is especially designed to keep them cool during the summer and warm during the winter, and shaving can keep the dog hotter.Interesting, you would think taking off all that hair would make them more comfortable.

I shaved Hyde the other day, but not cause of a heat factor, he had some mats since i was becoming a bit more lazy in his grooming since im working so much. I'll be keeping an eye on him thats for sure.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Yeah I have hear this too.... Sammy seems to do pretty well outside when its warm and sunny as long as shes in the shade and has water to drink.

This fall I think we will need to shave her but for other reasons.... once hunting season starts all of her long fur is going to be a NIGHTMARE to care for when shes in and out of the marshs every day!

·
Registered
3 Posts
As a former professional groomer and breeder, maybe I can help clear up some of the confusion here. Longer hair does help insulate again the heat, but onlyif the dog is kept clean, brushed and fluffed. Mats do not insulate against the heat. If you are having the dog shaved because you cannot keep up with the grooming, then you are doing the right thing. If the dog is shaved, be sure to provide shade, they will sunburn otherwise. You can also let them wear an old t-shirt to protect against the sun, but keep an eye on them that they do not get tangled up in it. Shade and water are essential whether you shave them or not!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts