Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what time(s) do they eat?

Right now Sadie eats at about 6:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. She's six months old. Are we feeding her too early?? Would she sleep later/better if her feeding times were different?

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Ours eat 6:30 am and 5:30 pm on weekdays...more like 8 am and 5 pm on weekends. I found Kirby would sometimes have to go during the night if we feed him too early. I would try moving the pm meal to 5-6 pm if you are having issues :)

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
we do 8am and 6 pm. I dont hink it matters how early, other than training them what time breakfast is. Does Sadie wake you up if you try to sleep in past that time?

When Hershey was young we skipped meals in the am now and then and fed her at lunch, so she is ok with waiting and doesn't whine. Gus had his habits ingrained before we got him at 4 months and he will sit at the bedroom door and quietly try to wake me up if i am sleeping in past his breakfast time.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Sampson pretty much has food the whole day.
But we do fill the bowl with 1 1/2 to 2 cups at certain times.
He gets fed in the mornings around 7:00 but doesn't like to eat it right then.
Then after school the bowl is usually empty and he gets some more at about 5:00...

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
I always laugh when I read that dogs will just eat when they want...dinner is like the greatest thing in the world for our doodles...they literally drool until we let them eat their food and it's gone in 1-2 minutes.

·
Registered
523 Posts
During the week Boyd eats at 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. On the weekend it's more like 8:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She wakes up during the night or very, very early in the a.m. to go outside, not to eat.
I'm just wondering if we feed her later will she NOT have to go out at 4:30 a.m. or will it make it worse if we feed her at 6 or so in the evening?

When she gets up in the morning, she's not begging for food. She wants attention and to play!

·
Registered
235 Posts
9am and 9pm 6 days a week. Sunday depends on when I wake up. I do believe its better to put food down for ten or so minutes and pick it up. It helps tem know when its time to eat, they dont over eat, and there is not food out all the time.

To each is own, but we all have opinions.
I hope everyone has an awesome day.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
If you want her to sleep later, then I'd think about adjusting the feed times. Charlie is up between 7 and 8 and eats first thing. He eats dinner between 5 and 6.

Deb

·
Registered
448 Posts
Nicky eats around 7 a.m. and then about 5 p.m. When I'm putting food in his bowl he sits, patiently waits, and drools. He won't touch the food until I give him the O.K. Then he gobbles it up!

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Sammy-Doo's Fam said:
Sampson pretty much has food the whole day.
But we do fill the bowl with 1 1/2 to 2 cups at certain times.
He gets fed in the mornings around 7:00 but doesn't like to eat it right then.
Then after school the bowl is usually empty and he gets some more at about 5:00...
Ditto. I fill Dakota's bowl about 6:30 am. He rarely finishes it. If I see it empty it is often because Sparky ate it, so I fill it again. I generally feed both Dakota and Sparky again in the evening after we finish dinner.

G

·
I'm a bad Mom. Maya doesn't have a consistent feeding schedule but she doesn't whine for food either. She eats what I put down when I put it down. She gets feed once in the morning (sometime before 10am) and once at night usu between 6p-7p depending on the day and when breakfast was. She does get up during the night sometimes to go potty though.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi.. Emily eats at 7am and 6pm. She gets really hungry late if I feed her earlier than 5pm.. I also give her treats on and off throughout the day...

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Cacao goes out to pee at 6:30am (EVERY MORNING) and I then fill her bowl, she will eat it by 10am then at 5pm I fill it again and that is gone by 6pm. But that is how she has been for forever.

·
Registered
593 Posts
hmz819 said:
I'm a bad Mom. Maya doesn't have a consistent feeding schedule but she doesn't whine for food either. She eats what I put down when I put it down. She gets feed once in the morning (sometime before 10am) and once at night usu between 6p-7p depending on the day and when breakfast was. She does get up during the night sometimes to go potty though.
Naw, On the weekends we never feed him on time.
He let sus know if he wants some and it seems fine with him.

·
Registered
659 Posts
We were originally feeding Ozzie at 5 am and about 4:30 pm but have since added a third, 9 pm "lite" meal.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Heather....I'm like you. depending on my work schedule is when they eat. Days off and "mid-shifts" 7am and 6pm. When I open 4am and 6pm. If I close....7am and 11pm. I know it's not the best schedule, but I can't free feed because of the boys!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts