Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Confession: I do not suffer fools lightly unless they are useful :lol: Here in the 'Elephants Graveyard', Florida, I've noticed a serious attitude problem with some of my elders who think they've earned some special privelage for having grown old :shock: For instance if you are crossing in front of them while they are trying to get out of the driveway you will get A LOOK :x or perhaps threatened :shock: with bodily harm from an octogenarian :eek: So with that in mind I've found a spot where 70+ year old aggressive speed walkers (smile), bike riders and joggers like to do their thing. Of course Abby wants to join the fun. Today a pair of power walkers who screamed when Abby sniffed their shorts :lol: as they went by recently came charging down the sidewalk giving Abby the stink eye. I could see their intentions were not good and I feared a kick or worse was a possibility. I could never slug em :twisted: so I had to do something peaceful like have the dog sit-stay. Which she did perfectly, they blasted by us loudl talking. We continued when I heard someone talking loudly coming up behind us quickly. The WALKERS! I STARTED to have Abby sit and lo and behold she was already sitting :D :D :D We are doing the same with bicyclists and joggers as well. Only once has a jogger reacted nicely when Abby sat as they went by, He said thanks! We live in a condo with elevators and Abby is perfect in the box. She sits or lies down immediately. Yesterday some ole coot in the lobby starts giving me grief telling me I must carry the dog--It's in the by laws, he said raising his voice. Abby noting his disposition became very attentive to his voice and hid behind me. I reassured her and explained to the fellow she's a Service Dog registered with the office etc. To which he responded BS. We got to our floor and I thanked the guy. He said for what? I replied for teaching my dog how to deal with difficult personalities :lol: His wife smiled :wink: For the most part the folks in the building have been very nice regarding the 'BIG DOG' noting she is so well behaved. Wait till they see her hitting the button for the elevator :) Target training is coming...

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
What a crock mtd! Why does getting old give people the supposed right to be so cranky and rude? :roll:
I also question the by laws. Because that would mean that you could only have small dogs.....and if so, a weight for the dogs allowed should have been stipulated. I know in condo's I've sold, I have to check into this before I sell a condo. Look at the by laws and see if a weight was given. Even if it was...a service dog has NO rules. The guys BS was totally out of line!!
Do you have a service dog jacket? I'd love to see Mr. Mouth when he sees that jacket!
LOL...............his wife was probably thanking you for calling him out on his old coot character...........hahahaha!!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
It is so sad when humans are so intolerant of dogs/animals.
Do they not know that animals are God's creatures? I truly
believe that when your time comes , you will be judged on how you
treated God's animal kingdom(at least I hope so) Any reason why some of us prefer animals over humans...........

Ok off my soapbox now..........

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Boy, does this sound familiar or what???

I always said when I visit my in-laws with Cinnamon I was going to dress her in child's clothes. "She's not a dog, she's a child with fur! You got a problem with birth defects?"

·
Registered
670 Posts
I couldnt agree with you more Sue!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Sadly, it is Not just elderly people that act that way and thankfully Not all elderly folks act like that.

What was his problem with Abby and the bylaws, is she too big, was she not suppose to be in the lobby? If she is a service dog, does she not wear a service dog vest? Just curious

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually the only reason I was in the Lobby without the vest was to pick a package up from the valet after our (abby n me) afternoon walk. As I mentioned MOST of the folks in the building are cool with her being "big" :lol: There is a by law stating no dogs over 20lbs which does not apply to SD's. I felt my polite explanation was blown off by the old goat. BTW I have no problem with Ole Farts since I'm at the end of my 6th decade and can see the writing on the wall---well let's just say on the wall close to the floor because it hurts when I look up :lol: There's one lady who's been to our house for dinner before we got Abby who made a written complaint, her husband likes to pet Abby when he see's us--go figga :? :?
We did have our neighbor come to Abby's defense when a puddle of pee was discovered by the elevator. When the offending party suggested it might be Abby the other neighbor called him on it saying she saw his dog do it :lol:
I found it hard to believe the guy didn't clean up after his dog :roll: It's a crazy world these days!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Did you get Abby as a puppy then send her off to service dog training or did she come to you after being trained ?

She sure is a cutie.

If you don't mind me asking, what kinds of things does she do for you, service dogs fascinate me, how they are trained and what they are able to do.

You had mentioned elevator buttons - do the SD training people only train them for certain things and you have to do the rest?

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
We got to our floor and I thanked the guy. He said for what? I replied for teaching my dog how to deal with difficult personalities His wife smiled
a big HIGH 5 & round of applause for you MTD!! i too like to take a positive out of every negative, the mind is a powerful tool when used correctly! i love it!!! :D

and I say use this negatism to ABBY and YOUR Advantage by making them eat their own words! and in due time Abby will be able to fully demonstrate that she is Much Better manners than certain humans :D
as well as more loving too. :wink:

We get alot of negatism since we now have 3 doodles and those who complain the loudest are not invited to my home now hahhaaaa

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you don't mind me asking, what kinds of things does she do for you, service dogs fascinate me, how they are trained and what they are able to do.

You had mentioned elevator buttons - do the SD training people only train them for certain things and you have to do the rest?[/quote]

Hey Mary! I'm training her myself :D She's 5 1/2 months old now and we play train. I'll start her on 'real' training shortly while my wife will be taking her to basic OB classes starting next month, wife needs training too :) I'll start with retriever training using different elements ie; telephone,keys,glasses,MOMMY (to alert for emergency), turn off and on lights, hold the door open while I bring groceries in the house, picking stuff off the floor or on low shelves to hand, There are phones with BIG NUMBERS on large keys, I will teach how to dial 911 using 1 button or auto dial (of course I'll monitor my phone bill to make sure she's not calling relatives in other countries :lol: ) Mostly it's all Target training and Retrieving. For Therapy work she will accompany my wife OTR to ALF's and CP facilities so we are using Wheelchairs to train Abby. For instance I'm teaching 'Feet up' so she rests her paws (and muzzle)on the arm of the chair for petting as it's hard for some folks to bend over to pet her. Feet up is also the first part of elevator calling training as well. The second part is target training (touch button with nose) since our elevators have those heat sensor buttons. This is my first attempt at SD/Therapy training! Wish me luck :)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
i too can't wait to hear more of abby's training and methods too :D
she so cute and smart

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Good Luck mtd!! Definitely keep us posted!!
How do you get a service vest if the dog isn't cerified service yet?
I'd LOVE to get Bogie started for service and need all the help I can get!
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lindamarie said:
Good Luck mtd!! Definitely keep us posted!!
How do you get a service vest if the dog isn't cerified service yet?
I'd LOVE to get Bogie started for service and need all the help I can get!
Thanks!
Here ya go:
Click on Service/Therapy
www.sitstay.com

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
thank you so much for that LINK Mtd!!!
i had looked high and low for the type of slip training collar i use in OB training with Max and Beau...no one carries them

we do NOT use the live ring only the dead ring.
if a dog like Max gets too out of hand with excitement once again
i use the dead ring on a prong collar which immediately gets his attention and working with me rather than on pupppies

here's the slip collar used

1 - 17 of 17 Posts