Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NOW THISI S A much less intense question but again I love referring to all the years of valable expereince on here.

What does one use that doesn't fray and won't be pulled off ?????

With all the constant licking that Kelsey is doing on all the pups we are finding the collars are coming off right & left or if not falling off , fraying..

We unfortuanatley are using some incrediable crap ribbon, but Im thinking of running out to Joanne Fabric to buy several colors of flannel or fleece material. Any other material suggestions would be appreciated too...what do you all think of fleece? Im thinking it will have a low fray level.
Just a silly question but any suggestions based on expertise of expereince will gladly help us on our quest for that perfect puppy ID collar...

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Braided pony tail holders with out the metal clip on... from Dollar general worked here. as they grow you can cut the braid and lengthen them.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I use the medical id bands, they have a insert to write on, i also tie a differnt color ribbon on the band,(write ribbon color on the band in case it gets torn off) you can order then i think at www.kvvet.com if not let me know i can look it up,,i ordered a few boxes so i havent ordered in awhile

you have to change them every week or so as they grown,
make sure you can get a finger or two between neck and band, not to loose though

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I had forgotten all about the vet wrap. So I wouldn't forget again I went ahead and ordered some off ebay... they only have 10 different colors, but maybe I won't have any more HUGE litters so that will be enough? If not, I'll have to gt creative on a couple. lol I found out that there, only the 3" wide comes in that many different colors, but when cut that will go a lot farther than the 1" anyway! So I ordered the 3". Now I'll be prepared for several upcoming litters.

Thanks for the idea! :D

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I love VETRAP!!
and if you go to any supply places, you can search with 'vetrap' - a brand name or you can put in 'cohesive bandage' and you'll get off brands.

Also...Tink, if you have black and yellow dogs, for example, you can double up on colors by having red on a yellow pup, and red on a black pup, and thereby cover your 12+ litters.

Also....I do know a breeder who has made 'scrunchies' - with fabric and a hair band and they're washable if you want to use them with multiple litters.

I go to dollar stores, or just shop around for cat collars or inexpensive collars from about 5wks and on, and the puppies go home in that collar. So vetrap is easy and cheap for my purposes.

Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bric brac really is not working well....I thought it would but I really need that vet wrap we ordered to arrive in the mail....
It keeps fraying and falling off...eeek...so do yourselves a favor
dont ever use it ....
Thanks everyone for telling us what works best for you , would never had known about this stuff....
I love the scrunchie idea....do they really stay on?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
What a beautiful array of colors :) I love litters with a variety, good luck :D

I never found anything to work better than the vetwrap. If you have more puppies than you do colors of vetwrap, just twist two colors together :wink:

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to all who gave us this idea. It has helped tremendously. They stay on!!!

Don't fray and expand a bit with growth.
We found ours at qcsupply under the name "co-flex bandage" for $1.51 a roll , this will outlast us but hey thanks to you all our search is over.
Hope this heps anyone else out there trying to find the same solution to this problem.

http://search.qcsupply.com/search.aspx? ... ack%7e1.51 :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
dixiedi said:
What a beautiful array of colors :) I love litters with a variety, good luck :D

I never found anything to work better than the vetwrap. If you have more puppies than you do colors of vetwrap, just twist two colors together :wink:
Perhaps I'm getting OLD but whatever happened to using clipping patterns to ID PUPS?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I've never heard of clipping patterns, maybe that is even a better way. Please share :wink:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts