Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just so Proud

Nancy and Steve,

Just an update on Owen - he is such a great dog. He went to service dog camp (normally training takes between one year and 18 months) - he was ready to come home in three months!

He is fantastic! Some of the things he does for me:

picks up my cane and brings it back when I fall or drop the cane

opens the freezer / doors when my hands/wrists are too weak or painful

turns on/off lights

picks up whatever i might drop (keys, pens, books, papers, money, tv remote)

takes cash from me, "stands up" and puts his front paws on the counter - to give money at a store

helps me stand up when i fall down (he lies down beside me and slowly gets up while I use him for balance to get myself up)

"Braces" for me when we go up or down stairs
And the most amazing thing - my ankles, wrists, fingers swell and are very painful from the lupus/ms. Somehow owen knows the night before this starts. He licks and licks my ankles or wrist the night before. Then I am able to take meds in advance so it doesn't get so bad. It took me a couple months to figure out that he knew before me, but now that I caught on, I am able to pre-medicate so the swelling is not so bad.

He goes to school with me every day. He is a good boy at school - sometimes he barks if a door is opened quickly and someone barges in, but other than that - he is fantastic. The students and staff adore him. He loves to show off and show visitors his tricks (opening file drawers, doors, etc.) I am working with him now so he will eventually be able to turn the pages of a picture book when he reads with kids. He loves to learn new things and is very motivated, so I am hopeful he will be able to turn the pages of picture books after the thanksgiving break (we started learning this a few weeks ago).

I have attached some pictures of him - I know all of your puppies are great - but he is the best and brightest! (I know you have heard this many times smile).

I would recommend your goldendoodles for service dogs - if anyone would like to email me about Owen the best service dog every - feel free to pass along my email address.

Take care.

Rebecca and Owen in NYC

:O) Whenever i have days i just wonder what the heck i do this for ,,,THIS is the reason!!!!
:O)

·
Registered
670 Posts
Nancy-
Thanks for the great feel good story! It must be wonderful to know your doodles are out there with such an important job. Please post a pic that was forwarded to you if you can!

Mike

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it does

it does make me feel so proud and happy that my goals when i began are being achieved!!
she failed to attach picture i emailed her im waiting on the pictures now

·
Registered
424 Posts
That is fantastic. What a comfort your dog must be to this person. It's amazing really especially the way he intuitively knows when his human will be experiencing pain and discomfort and is able to warn her in advance. You must be very proud!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Nancy..thank you so much for sharing that beautiful heartwarming story.It put alot of sunshine in my day. :)

we all know how smart doodles are which is why they're used for helping others and how they make a difference in all our lives. You must feel so good inside knowing one of your doodles is making another person's life bearable and happier. and wow he completed training in 3mos! awesome.

turning pages, opening files etc...speechless except to say I am sending this letter via email to my friends and family to share. Also as a reminder that there are others with daily struggles worse than ours.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts