Labradoodle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took Doc to Dog beach today for the first time. (I live in San Diego County). It was really fun. At first he was afraid of the water and would run away when it would wash up near him. After a while, I coaxed him out in the water and he started liking it. He wanted to play with the other dogs really bad, but everyone had to keep their dogs on leashes. I wouldn't have taken his leash off anyway, because I don't trust that he would come back to me whenever I wanted him to. I have a built-in swimming pool at home but he doesn't go in it on his own. We've taken him in it several times and showed him how to swim to the steps just in case he should fall in. It would be fun if he would develop a liking of the pool so he could play and swim with us and burn off some energy.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
This would be a great thing for Doc...I am glad that you have shown him how to get out using the steps...now that he has had a taste of swimming in the ocean, he might be more interested in the pool too.
Sounds like you are having fun with him!

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Hey Kim,

See my posts "Dakota the Water Dog" and "And now the Rest of the Story" under "Stories About your Labradoodles. Dakota was very fearful of getting in our pool. We had him at a lake and finally were able to coax him into deeper water where he actually had to swim. When we got him home, I took him and a ball into our pool and now we can't keep him out! Persistance and patience pays off!

Diane (and Dakota)

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Diane. I looked at your pictures of Dakota. He sure is a beatiful LD. That makes sense that they have to learn that they can swim. I never thought of it that way. So, maybe there's hope for Doc yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts