Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its really hard to post this, but I have to stay positive over the situation because I want my best friend to have a good home....and im hoping this is the one...

Shannon posted him on the poomix site and I got 2 repsonses so far. One from a vet in Alaska, and another from a retired couple about 3 hours from me.

The retired couple seem like very nice people and they are ready to adopt an an older dog after loosing their 14 year old lab last summer. They have a huge yard out in the country, and she even sent me a pic of her yard. Everything seems to be good so far and we are trying to set up a date for us to drive down there and meet them.

This is so hard to do. I feel so bad and im trying to keep strong but I just cant. I keep breaking down. I dont want to see him anywhere else but right here. But I know what im doing is the right thing.

Well as I said before im not just gonna give him to anyone. What should I be asking these people and what should I be looking for? And if I dont feel comfortable with it what's a nice way of telling them we arent gonna allow them to take Leno?

G

·
Brooke,
I am sure you are heartbroken. Just keep reminding yourself that you are doing the right thing and that Leno WILL be happy. Hang in there and I will be thinking of you.
I found questions that rescue groups sometimes use. Not all of them may apply, but I would definitely want to know if they would keep Leno as an inside dog. I would also want to be notified if they decided they could not keep him for ANY reason at ANY time.
As for telling them they can't have Leno, I would just be honest. If you are not getting the right answers, tell them you are just not comfortable because Leno is used to certain things. If you want to be nice, you could always say you think Leno needs to be placed in a home with other dogs, or without other dogs, or with children or without children. Here is the list of questions I found:
I have owned a dog before Yes No Currently own dog(s)
The last time I had a dog was... 2-10 years ago More than 10 years ago
Not currently, but within the last year
My dog needs to get along with other dogs Yes No
My dog needs to be good with (check all that apply) Children over 8 years old Children under 8 years old
Elderly Cats Other Animals
My dog will be primary be an... Inside dog Outside dog
How many hours will your dog spend outside per day?
My dog needs to be able to be alone... 2 hours or less per day 4 hours or less per day
8-10 hours per day 12 hours per day
When I'm at home, I want my dog to be by my side... All the time Some of the time Little of the time
When I'm not at home, my dog will spend its time... In the garage In a crate in the house In the yard
Loose in the house Confined to one room
I want a guard dog: Yes No
I want my dog to hunt or herd with me: Yes No
I want my dog to be the type that is very enthusiastic in the way s/he shows s/he loves people: Not at all Somewhat Very
I want my dog to be playful: Not at all Somewhat Very
I want my dog to be laid back: Not at all Somewhat Very
I am comfortable doing some training with my dog to improve manners such as jumping, stealing food, and pulling on the leash: No training Some training A lot of training
I (or my children) want to participate in Agility, Flyball, or Obedience with our dog. Yes No
I am interested in a dog with "special needs" (medical or behavioral). Yes No
How much do you think you'll spend yearly for the care of your dog? (Food, medical care, boarding, toys, etc.) $

·
Registered
853 Posts
Oh, it must be so hard for you. I know how much you love Leno. Both of the people interested sound like good options. I will pray that you will make the right decision and that you will have peace and Leno will have a really great home.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
My heart goes out to you at this time, I know it's not easy but you can have peace in knowing that Leno will be in a good home. Both of these prospects sound very promising and I'm sure if one is the right home, you will know it right off.

We are here for you when you need us, stay strong :)

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Im so sad for you

i know how heartbroken you must be
sounds like god has blessed you with 2 great homes to choose,,

Keep your chin up and know the decision you have made is the best for you and your best friend,,

my prayers are with you to be able to deal with this in a positive way,i know how sad you must be,,im so sorry

·
Registered
972 Posts
Hi Brooke,
A very good resource for questions to ask is this form here from Idog.
http://idog.biz/Rescue/RRRForms/GenericAdoptionApp.pdf
It will give you all the questions you should ask and you can even have them fill it out. The retired couple contacted me looking for a doodle, and I believe this is the one who contacted you. Also, the one in Alaska, contacted us while she was visiting in Illinois. I know this is hard on you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts