Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm calling the vet as soon as he opens, but Miko woke me up at 3am...after going to bed at 1am :shock: ...so we went outside. Since it was dark, I have no idea what went on. Then she was restless at 6, and of course Jonah was hungry, so we got up. She made the motions of peeing a few times and did poop. She drank water, ate a little...this is a regular thing with her as of late. She's never been a "gulper" like Jonah. We've been out a few times since, and she keeps squatting, but I don't see anything coming out. I checked her "goods" and all I found was a large mat. Guess the groomer "forgot" a place when she shaved her. I removed the mat, but don't really know what to look for....I've always had a male dog before. She's playing fine with Jonah...doing her "WOOF...come chase me", but then she stops and squats and nothing. Jonah already has am appointment for 10:15 for his rabies (3 yr and his 10 way), but the thought of taking them together is unthinkable by myself. If they can squeeze her in, I want to take her as soon as they open. I am such a nervous dad....thanks for letting me occupy my time while waiting for the vet to open! Keep paws crossed for my little girl!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Awww, hope everything's OK gene. Miko sweetie, you hang in there - it'll be OK!!

Hopefully you can catch up on your sleep too, gene!!

Good luck everybody.....Dexter has his paws crossed too.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Awww poor sweetie and poor Gene - sounds like she may have a bladder infection and feels like she has to go all the time which is normal if you have a bladder infection - if so, some antibiotics and lots of water and she'll be on the mend soon , hopefully you can get her into Vet first thing today.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
awh poor miko. I didn't know it could get matted down there - i would think it would be tough to brush that. Then again, we do now have a doodle w/a shaved butt from matting so I'm not one to give advice :)

Feel better Miko.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just talked to the vet. She's going to go in with Jonah, but they believe it's a urinary tract infection. I told them when they were wrestling, she was on her back and I got a "glimpse" and noticed the hair was discolored, she said orange in color?, I said yes and she said if I just wanted to bring in a urine sample they could give me antibiotics for it. Get a urine sample from a dog....HA....I remember my neighbors trying that with their 12 year old beagle a few years ago. Poor Mandy, every time she tried to squat, my neighbor tried to put a pie tin under her. They tried for 20 minutes. That poor dog was beside herself!! :lol:

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the advice! I really appreciate it. I can't believe I have another female in the house with a bladder infection. My mom got them frequently, so I heard how uncomfortable they are....poor little Miko....no wonder she was so urgent to wake me up through the night! Now, I just sit here and wait for the appointment in 1 1/2 hours....cards anyone....I'll deal! :wink:

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Oh Miko
Poor baby, I just saw this and I am thinking of you
The vet will get you on something that will help you.
Hope you will be feeling better real soon.
Lots of kisses for you from Denver.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Back from the vet.....$283.50 poorer....yikes! That included fecal heartworm test, Jonah's yearly shots and the exams on both. Dr. said it's a urine infection and prescribed amxicillin for 15 days. He said I caught it really early. Her bladder only felt a little thick. He told me not to be surprised if she passes a little blood and/or puss like discharge. He praised me for being such an aware daddy! :lol: Should be fun when I kennel her for work tomorrow. Should I put a towel in there or a puppy pad so she can potty if she needs to? I don't want to stress her out and my neighbors are all on vacation this week...very quiet neighborhood! I feel so much better now that I know for sure! It was funny with as meek as Miko is, she WOULD NOT pee for the vet tech. We walked around for 10 minutes before she had to give up. There was NO WAY she was going to let that strange lady with a pan behind her!! :wink:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Hey Pretty Girl ... No UTI's before your Happy Birthday Cakes! Such an uncomfortable feeling, but the antibotics should take care of it ASAP! At least they do for humans! Yogurt and lots of water and cranberry juice is good too. Can Doodles have cranberry juice? I think so because Ebbe "helped" Marc clean up last Wednesday after he spilled a whole glass of it. :evil: She was so helpful!

Get better soon ... your dad was on the ball getting you to the vet so fast and for letting us know. That is something to keep watch on. Many thanks!

(I have got to stop reading these and get back to work! :? )

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Awwww...poor Miko! :cry: But Gene! Being the good and observant Dad that you are, you caught it early!!! clap! clap! clap!!! :D :D
One piece of advice tho.... when administering anti-biotics to either human or canine, give a capsule of acidolphulus in their food, because you don't want any YEAST INFECTIONS!!!!! either in the ears OR other areas...Yogurt has acidolphulus, but really isn't strong enough... you can get the capsules at CVS,Walgreen, health food stores, etc...
Feel better little Miko!!! You'll be all better very soon... :wink:

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's like having a new puppy in the house....peeing about every 20 minutes or so. 3 accidents in the house already! I went to petsmart and got potty pads and a holder and put it by the back door. While I was gone, she did pee on a towel I put in her crate...poor little thing! I bought the holder so that Jaws Jonah doesn't chew it up. I plan on putting pads in her kennel for while I'm at work.
If anyone's been through this before......when the the "mass flow" subside?

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Poor Miko...being female I can relate to this :cry: :cry: Gene, the antibotics should kick in quickly...I usually feel better in a few hours.

It is good if she will drink water as it helps flush out the bladder. If she doesn't stop the frequency by tomorrow, I would think another call to the vet would be in order. Not all antibiotics work on all infections.

Keep us posted

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We finally got in a 1 1/2 hour nap...more for me than her. :wink: I actually had to wake her up! She's licking less already, but still does one good pee, then dribbles, dribbles, dribbles...poor little girl! :cry:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
gene said:
If anyone's been through this before......when the the "mass flow" subside?
I found as soon as the pain subsides when they pee the flow gos back to a normal amount. They tend to hold their urine untill they absoutely have to go since it hurts, hence the floods. She should be doing better by tomorrow night, 24 hours on antibiotic seemed to be the magic number. Feel better Miko!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I'm so sorry, UTIs SUCK. Poor girl.......

As has been said, the amoxicillin should kick in pretty quickly. Just a small caveat, also be aware of signs of drug allergy if she's never been on a penicillin drug before. I'm allergic to amox., I get an annoying rash on my arms and legs when I take it. So just keep on the lookout for any extra scratching - it might be from the amox.

I hope EVERYONE feels better soon....we'll be thinking of you....

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Oh, my gosh! I just read this! I am so sorry that you and Miko are going through this.
Bayley used to get UTIs a lot, but they stopped after her first heat cycle...vet said they should and they did. Never had one that bad though. Poor girl.
Glad she is on meds and will soon be better.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts