Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Maya and I were on our way to go to Petsmart for her dog test to pass intermediate class. I opend the front door and Maya runs out which she has done before I call Maya come and squat down and clap once and she comes racing back. Well today I see a car and freak and start screaming at her and chasing after her. Needless to say she thought it a fun game and I am running around the neighborhood screaming I have cookies come Maya. My neighbor came out and said come squated down and she raced to him and he held her til I got there. I was so embarassed!!

For those with new puppies you are training the most important thing to remember is that the pup will take direction from you and you need to be secure in yourself that they are trained and not freak out like I do!!!!!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Yikes glad it turned out ok.......whew
I never say never when it comes to what my dog will and will not do.
i always think he might and then prepare for it
teehee
great neighbour for sure.

Sue

Maya listen to your Mommy she is just trying to keep you safe

Woof
woof

Denver

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Heather how scary - glad Maya is ok and the neighbor was able to corral here - have you calmed down yet?

Yes the most well behaved dog has the potential to bolt, especially if they see someone or something of interest.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
oh I'm so glad Maya didn't get hurt. I'm telling you...I still fear this with our dogs...both for separate reasons. Dex thinks the best game in the world is to entice us or someone to chase him...if Kirby sees something and gets into that "mode" there's no reasoning with him. I will remember your story and try to stay calm if I'm ever faced with a similar situation. I think they would listen to me, but I still have my concerns...

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Lucky nearly gave me a heart attack when he squeezed past me and out the gate this morning. He darted straight across a busy street. He was happily visiting our neighbors and I was a wreck. This is a dog who was previously hit by a car!!

Charlie followed me out as I was frantically calling him. Charlie sat right at the curb, looked back and forth from me to Lucky and then followed Lucky across the street. Aaargggghhh... Charlie had never gone into the street before and now has learned this little trick from his "brother".

So I'm with you on the panic thing. Let's all take some deep breaths. How ironic that this all transpired at obedience class. :?

Deb

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
When Denver was around 6 months old,
His regular leash broke in the middle of the walk.
i was terrified as there were cars and his recall at that time ,
well lets just say it needed work.
Anyway I sat down in the middle of the sidewalk and started to cry my eyes out really loud and he came running back to see what the heck i was doing. I was panicked but tried not to show it to him, do not know where I got the thought to do that it just came............and we had a Happy ending.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
OH heather what a scare You had today and luckily it had a happy ending!!!((((((heather and maya)))))))))))))))

I have one way of screaming MAX! real sharp,loud and with fear that makes him come running back immediately or stop what he's doing.

I learned this by mistake one day recently when he was in a doodle run and got tangled in Beau's retractable leash. I dropped it by mistake and saw max running/pulling BEAU down the field.
I swore i was going to do an ER visit , then i screamed out of fear Max's name only. He stopped dead in his tracks.

NOW when Max went to run after the crows 2 days ago and almost got to the road , i screamed his name , he stopped and came back

so in my house this is why i say no yelling, that way in an emergency they listen to you if you yell.

BUT i will never take it for granted either

Heather thanks for sharing your story and making us all thing twice :D

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Ooooh, that is the most frightening and worrisome thing...Thank heavens for your neighbor and for sweet Maya coming home unscathed!
I have had my two first girls bolt out the door and run all over the place, it took me FOREVER to get them...then, when we moved to the mountains, I let the dogs loose in the house, not thinking to check the doggie door in the bedroom and zooom! They were off like a shot, out the gate and gone...and they had never been here before. I had no idea what to do, should I search? What if they come back and don't know this is the place? Should I stay? Will they ever find their way home? Well, about 10 minutes later, my husband drove up, went looking for them and, luckily, got them all...none of them could walk for 4 days! Their foot pads were raw from all of their running and exploring...
Then, once Bayley took off about 2 days before she was due to deliver her first litter of puppies! I searched for 20 minutes and finally gave up, called the animal control...and went looking one more time, when she came back, literally, crawling...she was in shock, she was wet, and thirsty and very tired. I covered her up and gave her food and water...she has not gone since.
Man, these things scare the beejeebies out of me!
It only takes a second. I feel so blessed that they always came home safely.

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for your stories. Thankfully we don't live on a busy street and the car I saw was my neighbors and he didn't move his car til he saw Maya safely in the yard across the street. She didn't even go in the street again just went romping through everyone's yard. I just really wanted to post this on what not to do by owner. I know we all love our babies so much but sometimes we just have to be calm and know that they love us too and will come back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts