Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So while I was at Costco today I looked at a package of Nylabone Nubz. The front of the package says GLUTEN FREE in large letters. The first ingredient on the back is wheat starch. So I don't get it? How can they have wheat starch in them and still be gluten free? I sent an email to the company. We'll see what kind of response I get. My kids both have celiacs and I would never feed them anything that had wheat starch in it. Dante doesn't have a problem with wheat but the misleading statement on the front of the package didn't sit well with me so I didn't buy them. :cry: Don't worry - Dante is hurting for treats! :lol:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
what about marrow bones from butcher? or even the bones made by
Merrick called THE TANK?

·
Registered
247 Posts
actually (and i know this as i am a holistic nutritionist and am a big proponent of the gluten free diet for people with health problems, esp digestive), the protein portion of the wheat (gluten or gliadin) is the provocative portion that people can be allergic to. starch is the by-product when the 2 are separated. BUT - i would never recommend anyone eat wheat starch if they are gluten sensitive, b/c the celiac foundation says wheat starch cannot be guaranteed 100% gluten free. shaia gets bad poops from too many grains or glutens so i feed her gluten free and she'd probably be ok w wheat starch but i wouldn't risk it on a celiac.

·
Registered
247 Posts
oh, BTW annmarie - i finally got shaia a knuckle bone after hearing you rave about THE TANK and she loves it!!! it's not a real brand name tank (i just got her a generic knuckle bone) but she's been working on it all day + night! she usually loses interest in whatever after an hour.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts