Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, what they told me to watch for at the shelter has happened......Rumor is pooping in the crate! Because of his past where he was kept in his cage for long, long periods of time, I guess it's second nature for him to poop in the crate. His stools are getting firmer, but he walks through it! :shock: And since we're still mixing with science diet....it stinks horribly!! It's way too early to leave the 3 out together. If he doesn't stop soon, maybe I'll gate off the kitchen and see how that works.
Does anyone have any experience/advice on this matter??

Om a lighter note......Rumor has started dominance humping Miko, and God bless her, she looks at me the same way she does when Jonah humps her......"Who do they think they're kidding??"!! :lol:

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Om a lighter note......Rumor has started dominance humping Miko, and God bless her, she looks at me the same way she does when Jonah humps her......"Who do they think they're kidding??"!!
awh...poor Miko. Kirby did this to Dex a bunch when we first got him and Dexter would look at us so confused...haha...

Sorry about the crate/pooping problems :( I don't have any advice, but hopefully it gets better!!

G

·
Gene, I found a great site with info. Basically says to try and get Rumor on a schedule so he won't have the urge to go in his crate (easier said than done I know!) but the idea of a child suppository (I know kinda gross) is something I never heard before...Hey, if it works...! Also says with this particular problem (overconfinement in rescue/shelter) go back to using the puppy/x-pen set up that Nancy recommends for new puppies. It also says if you don't have an x pen you can use a small area like the kitchen, but you would have to somehow keep Jonah and Miko out of there, I guess.

Here is an excerpt, but the entire post is well worth reading!

http://www.cigrescue.org/house_crate.html

For dogs that have had their natural instinct not to soil the "den" broken by over confinement:

You will have to redevelop the dog's natural instinct. Do this by using the same ex-pen setup used for very young puppies. Make sure the crate is nice and cozy (not too large!) and always kept clean. Be PATIENT! It may take SEVERAL months of the dog being allowed the OPTION of not soiling the bedding to correct this problem. DO continue to follow the schedule as closely as possible, but WITHOUT crate confinement, so you will be able to anticipate when your dog needs to go potty and you are there to reinforce the desired results with praise.

G

·
I even learned something there for my Bella problems! Makes sense to me now and makes me feel better about limiting her freedom when i am gone:

"...Grant freedom one room at a time. Keep curtains drawn. Always go back a step if problems arise.

Address anxiety issues by building the dog's self confidence with "jobs" like obedience training and by making sure that greater freedom is given gradually. Being in charge of the whole house and property may be too overwhelming unless the area is increased over time."

I also thought of something else...

When the package came from Fed Ex (that she tore open and ate the cord out of) the Fed Ex guy apologized and told me he usually had dog biscuits in hand for dogs, but he had JUST run out. Bella was so happy and excited to see him...maybe the package still smelled like dog treats to her?

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Sorry not sure what to do on that, other than trying a larger confined area, Annabelle would mess in kennel everytime we put her in it, that was puppy age, we finally stopped using the kennel but we were only dealing with one pup and we had a dog door to fenced back yard so she had kitchen, porch and backyard

Poor Miko, she's so tolerant

G

·
And bring some of his poop outside to the area you want him to poop in. (Gross again, I know!)
And devote as much time as possible over the next 4 days to potty training him! Outside to play and poop as much as possible. If his schedue is to poop in the afternoon when you work, Is there someone who can stay with him and take him out every hour? I wish I lived closer!!!!!

AND I just read about making sure each doggy gets some one on one time with you daily in the beginning. 1 hour each! (But you still have to post here, take pictures AND go to work! :lol: )

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Linda.....I knew I could count on you. I am off this friday-monday.....except for some necessary errands on friday.....it's going to be 24/7 doodle time!! Tomorrow is bad.....I have a really long day. I'm going to try and snag a quick run home, but doubtful. Maybe I'll try moving his crate to the kitchen. Keep Jonah and Miko out, and Rumor in. Wish me luck!!

We're going to try some separate walkings around the neighborhood, Grooming time (which we started tonight). I'm trying to salvage Rumors coat (so soft) from shaving the mats. He is so patient and loving. When it gets to much for him, he gently starts mouthing, then we turn it into massage time.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He is!! Here's the latest picture......he HATES the flash!! :roll: Pay no attention to the flung mud that needs cleaned off the front of the oven.....:oops:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Have no witty or constructive advice for you Gene. No experience in this arena. I am sure this weekend will improve your situation. Good luck.

G

·
Gene...I'll send Maya right over. Licking the outside of the oven is her new thing. I never use mine so I am not worried about her getting burnt but if she tries it when we go home for Christmas she may have a hot tongue!

Rumor is so cute!!!

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Rumor is so handsome!

Gene I wish I had words of wisdom to pass along, but have not gone through what you're experiencing. I can only offer encouragement and well wishes as Rumor settles in and figures it all out. He is so lucky to have you. Hang in there. We're cheering for you!

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Gene
Uncrate him and go with the close off kitchen idea
Like you said he got used to going in his crate at the shelter
and does not see why he should not continue.
When you have the free time with them it is back to basics
for potty training..........Great advice from Linda

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We're all getting along great!

I think I'll try him in the kitchen today and see how that goes. Wish me luck....it's a long day today since we're donating coffee at an event. I'd ask a neighbor to come over and let him out....but I don't know if he's territorial, and they are elderly!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Oh Gene!! I too wish I lived closer so I could help with "project Rumor." :) Good luck to you, what a poor little thing crated like that!!

I'm glad I saw the advice about letting them have one room at a time. Boyd is still kept in the kitchen when we're at work and allowed to "roam" once we are home. Makes me feel better knowing that he's perfectly fine with it and that if we gave him more access it might overwhelm him.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Things went soooooo much better than I ever could have dreamed!! I wedged part of Jonah's old kennel behind the fridge blocking it off, then balanced the other part so he wouldn't jump over. My boss let me go home to let him out. Boy was he happy to see me. He did dribble a little pee, but nothing else touched. He went out, with the other two, peed, pooped and came back in. When I got back home tonight, he had removed the curtains from the window.....but DID NOT CHEW THEM. He also unplugged the wreath from the window (oops....my bad!). He had thrown up a little bile, but I think it was just nerves. I was so happy, I got on the floor and gave him the biggest hug!! Thank you all for your support and concern. I don't know why the people who owned him before didn't see what a wonderful boy he is.......but I'm so glad he's ours now!!

Now if he'd just stop humping me......really......dominate this Rumor......who sleeps on the floor and who's next to dad in bed??

Miko
:wink:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts