Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I don't want to sound negative, okay? But I need some help & encouragement.
Let me say I absolutely LOVE Bogie and he is filling the void of losing my Springer. But, yesterday and today have been very challenging with a 12 week old pup.
Bogie has learned to sit, stay, shake and lie down quickly. His temperament is EXCELLENT!
He's a great dog!
BUT.....lets just take today first. It started early this morning with a God awful yelping from his crate. He was in there and got his his tooth stuck on the wiring. We had to pry his tooth from the wire.
I talked to my groomer and she said keep the pliers handy. Dogs have broken their jaws in wire crates! :roll:
Now this leaves me afraid to leave him in his crate if we're gone!!
Problem is I'm going to have to soon! I do work out of my house, but I need to leave sometime and also NO Christmas shopping done yet! :shock:

So then I was on the phone with a place where I was seeing if they have a gift I need to purchase. Bogie walked up to me with the end of the plug of a lamp he managed to bite into and rip apart from the wall!! OMG! How was he not electrocuted.

We're trying to keep him from boredom. My stepson has been over and playing with him and also my neighbor kids 7 & 9. He does the doodle 500 in the snow..............but we're limited on where we can take him until his parasite and worm condition is gone!

I'm frustrated!! Any words of wisdom? What can we do now & what are we doing wrong? I know...he's a puppy! But now this crate thing has me nervous. The groomer offered her playpen.......my husband is hesitant because he thinks that wil just confuse him since he's now liking his crates! What to do?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hi
I don't really have any advice for you, but just wanted to let you know you are not the only one. I too absolutely love and adore Kasper, but then again, can hardly wait for him to grow up and settle. It is all comming back to me, why a few years ago when raising my other dog, I swore I sould never get a puppie again hahahah :D :D :D

About the crate thing, it worries me too. I also have a wire one. The other night he woke us up with such a cry I thought the worst. but fortulately he had just been streching or something in his sleap and had gotten one of his legs a little stuck, he even freed himself about the same time we arrived hehe. But I have to leave him in it during the day, so I try to make it more safe by leaving no dangerus toys or bones with him, only his Kong filled with treats, and I allways take of his collar. And If you think about it, there are alot more dangers for them if they get to romp around the house with their curious noses while home alone.

Good luck with everything and dont forget, it will get better!

·
Registered
462 Posts
I would definitely go the play pen route. You can't watch him all the time, and for his safety (and your sanity) you need a safe place to put him, especially since he like to find trouble.

I wouldn't be so concerned about the wire crate. I'm sure that Bogie will learn from his mistake this morning.

I know what you're going through. I went through it with Napa. Don't worry, this will pass.

There have been some real terrors on this forum, and I'm glad Napa isn't considered one of them, but he's had his fair share of troublesome things. Good luck! It will get better.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
There were so many times when Dex was a puppy that I was totally miserable and wondered why I ever wanted a puppy. It really really gets better, but there are several periods in the first year (and beyond) where it is tough.

I would try to keep him where you can see him or contained (crate, playpen) at all times...the cord chewing could have been really dangerous for him. That way when you see him doing something bad you can correct him right away. I don't know if you can use bitter apple on cords, but one time of that caused Dex to never chew on furniture again! Maybe you could try it on the crate too?

Given the crate incident you had, maybe a pen would be better? We had Dex in an x-pen and then used gates at the entrances to the kitchen (as back up in case he got out of the xpen)...but he was never a climber (don't know if Bogie is).

Just remember that these are bad stages and they will pass :)

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much!! I said I needed encouragement and I'm getting it. Bogie is in his crate right now. I'm actually working and typing.........multi tasking is great! lol

I've thought about other things with crates like the feet getting stuck....or one lady told me her sister's dog beat his tail up from wagging it in the crate and they had to have it cropped. Horror stories!
I guess I'll have to talk to my husband about this pen..........that might be our answer.... provided he doesn't jump out.

I know....this too shall pass. I don't wish Bogie to be older too fast.....but it'll be nice when we can set the worrying aside..........

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
lindamarie said:
I know....this too shall pass. I don't wish Bogie to be older too fast.....but it'll be nice when we can set the worrying aside..........
I was so stressed when Ebbe was a pup that I truly did not appreciate her tiny puppyhood ... regret it to this day! :(

So please keep that in mind ... Bogie will soon be all grown up creating a whole different set of worries :? but YOU will be much more calm.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hang in there! They grow up before you know it and you'll find yourself missing the cute little fluff ball! I was so stressed when Boyd was a puppy that I didn't enjoy the little things. When I get another one I will make sure to enjoy all the puppy antics.

Boyd was my first puppy so I had a lot to learn. We used the crate/x-pen combo that Nancy from Doodlesville recommends and Boyd loved it!

We also covered all outlets with those safety covers and did our best to hide all cords.

Don't worry, it will get better!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I think it is like worrying about being struck by lightening!
You can do certain things to protect Bogie, but don't worry about such accidents to the point that you are leaving him uncrated...because that really is unsafe (as you know since the plug incident!)
A crate is a good tool, when you leave him remove his collar and leave him with a good chewie or toy...and some water...then don't worry!
Yes, you will find frustrating times, but you will look back at it and laugh with the rest of us...I am certain!
(Groomers are not always experts...some are, and give good advice, but take their advice as with all of ours...consider that things happen in life, accidents happen...but it is the exception rather than the rule.)

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
We also covered all outlets with those safety covers and did our best to hide all cords.
hehe...we did the outlet covers too and Dexter pulled them all out :) He never would touch an uncovered outlet, but those plastic covers must have looked like toys to him :)

We would laugh because our kitchen looked like when someone has a toddler...gates, outlet covers and we put plastic ties on the cabinets so he couldn't accidentally open them :)

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Just hang tight Lindamarie!!!!! Bogie will mature..I promise you!!! In fact, Raleigh is as free as a bird now, at 14 months... :shock: So far so good....and about this time when Bogie is this age, you'll look back and laugh at all the silly things he did without hurting himself, and wish for the snuggle/puppy times again! :wink:

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Sorry you are having a hard time with Bogie - you just can't take your eyes of them when they are pups, they will find stuff to get into
A playpen or xpen are great provided you don't have a climber LOL I took Annabelle whereever I went in the house, if I was in kitchen, I closed gates and let her be in there with me, carried her down to laundry room, bathroom etc.

It will get better as Bogie matures, just try to hang in there and vent away here when you need to

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your sharing is really helping me!! I know he has to be created or in the pen. I have absolutely NO idea when he got the lamp cord...YIKES!! I was with him all the time.......My husband and I had a spat blaming each other..........lol......."He was on your watch!"....."NO!, He did it on yours!"
We're laughing about it now. Whoever had the watch doesn't matter, it happened.

I have raised pups to dogs most of my life but it's been 11 years!! I kinda forgot. My Springer was so darn good from 7 weeks on that I REALLY forgot!!

I know I want to cherish each moment now, because he will be grown soon...........and then an adult and so on and so on.........so, don't sweat the small stuff, right? But that jawbreaker and possible electrocution really got me!!.....aaaaargh!

UPDATE: Hubby just fixed the lamp!!....and plugged it in. I have to go see if Bogie is eyeballing it....lol.......get the Bitter Apple!!

·
Registered
337 Posts
I agree with what Jac posted. Case in point. Kongs. Those are pretty safe right. Well my Cocker Spaniel, Hunter, has gotten one lodged on his lower jaw, not once, but twice. The first time he did it the poor fella went around for hours like that. I thought he was just carrying it around in his mouth. Until I heard him panting and then I knew something was wrong. The second time it happened about a year later I knew what was going on and got it off right away. So in my house Kongs are bad toys. Always to be used under supervision. Who would have thought you would have to worry about Kongs. :shock:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
LINDA hang in there ok? it takes time

for us the worst stages are 6, 8, 10, 13 mos but mine like to do it about 2 weeks beforehand hahahhaa

now i have wrapped up wires with special electrial twisties, keep handing them THEIR TOY or a Merrick "THE TANK" bone

i use the plastic airline kennel type crates and put a small towel /blanket over the front and DO NOT leave any toys in it if i am not home

puppies are like having kids...you can't leave a 2yr-7yr old alone for long nor can a puppy be left alone...not saying you do okay? hell all i have to do at times is get a glass of water and they're into trouble hahahhahaa

Once they hit 12mos it does get easier ..PEANUT was a demon!!! and once she hit 12mos OMG it was like someone switched dogs hahahaa

Beau is 5.5mo old and keeps me on my toes some days...it does get better

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hey, Vicky, Lexie had a malfunctioning citronella bark collar and, thank goodness I was home! Now, how often do you think that would happen? Scared the bejeebies out of both of us!
(I love your Avatar!)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
LINDA...when Beau does something wrong i tell DAVE he's HIS dog!!! hahahhaa
and we laugh afterwards too! :wink:

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MaxandMe said:
LINDA...when Beau does something wrong i tell DAVE he's HIS dog!!! hahahhaa
and we laugh afterwards too! :wink:
Glad we're not the only ones................lol

I think it is like worrying about being struck by lightening!
This is true....I'm always such a worrier about every freakin' thing...

has gotten one lodged on his lower jaw, not once, but twice.
OMG!!!
Lexie had a malfunctioning citronella bark collar and, thank goodness I was home
WOW!!

cry I thought the worst. but fortulately he had just been streching or something in his sleap and had gotten one of his legs a little stuck,
Scary......doesn't it sound awful when they yelp! Scares one to death! I woke to that yelp this morning. Kinda makes ya not want to go to bed.......lol

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Yes, Linda, there is nothing worse than that cry...such a panic...but when you get a house full of pups, like I have, you start to learn that they yelp like that over the darndest things...like when one of the other pups has a toy they want!
I am a worrier too, and my husband is worse! We are quite the pair. The first time I took Lexie to the vet for eating insulltion (yes, Lexie is my challenge) they kept her over night...I was not expecting that. I cried my eyes out...I sobbed and sobbed...and I gathered up all of her toys and blankets and went back asking them to be sure she had them with her so she wouldn't be afraid. They said that she licks them and is just fine!
But I was the basketcase! :lol: (And, she was...just fine!)

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh Jac! That teared me up!!
I cried my eyes out...I sobbed and sobbed...and I gathered up all of her toys and blankets and went back asking them to be sure she had them with her so she wouldn't be afraid. They said that she licks them and is just fine!
:cry:

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
My vet's office swears i gave birth to my doodles!! hahahahaa
and when Peanut was in ICU for 3.5 days hahaha i'd go to visit her, holding her with iv's and all tubes , rocking her in my arms and sing to her like a little baby hahahha
then go home and cry!! hahahaaaaaaaaa

1 - 20 of 23 Posts