Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine wsa doing fine for a bit, but then got disinterested in his food. I switched brands to Nutro (gradually) and still no interest. He actually went 2 days with hardly any of it. He is playful and fine, so it was not a matter of being sick. I desperatly put some chicken broth in his food and he ate it all! But after two days of this, he is again disinterested in it. Should I try switching his food again? I thought about adding other stuff, but he would just "pick around" it if it was in his dish. Does Canidae have good canned I could mix in? I don't mind giving him canned, but have heard that with puppies, until they are completely housebroken, you want to avoid canned due to all the moisture.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Miko goes through stages. When she gets like that I add a couple of dollops of vanilla lo-fat yogurt. Mix it together, and she can't resist. And yes Canidae come canned also. Denver's Mom (sue) uses it.

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
If you do not want to use canned dog food
then you can add some chicken/rice to the kibble, and yogurt as Gene says.
Denver gets all of the above and when I do use canned it is Canidae or Lean Cuts.

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Dexter went through a very brief stage like that...he outgrew it quickly. We did not want to get in a habbit of adding to his food so he had a choice...eat his food or don't eat :) We did cave a few times and crumpled up a liver treat and mixed it through his food and that did the trick (plus it was the same color as his food). I have heard that the dog will eat when he/she is hungry enough and won't starve himself :)

If you want to feed canned, I'm sure it will help, but it's also possible he'll just pick off the canned and not eat the dry. Good luck.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Aw, come on CHAS that story is " to die for" hahahahaaaaa

in this house if any of our 3 doodles decided they're food isn't appetizing enough every so often,
i then pick their bowl up acting like i am eating the YUMMMIEST food in the whole wide world and push them away if they get inquistive.
then i'll put it down, MOST of the time this works

if not i'm like others, add a tad of broth, chicken or little bit of canned Canidae

G

·
ChasP505 said:
lmtoth2 said:
I have heard that the dog will eat when he/she is hungry enough and won't starve himself :)
Zip it, Chas... zip it... just ZIP IT! :wink:
Chas...phone for you...ummm, some lady...said she is from Doggie DYFS?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kidding, we love you Chas! Mwah :wink:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't know if anyone else has suggested this or not, but Maya nearly died last summer and ended up having exploratory surgery to investigate what she had swollowed (turned out she didn't swollow anything) and after her surgery, the only thing that appealed to her...in a BIG way, was Iam's Low Residue canned food from the vet. They started her with just a tablespoon or so and she tolerated it really well. We gradually started mixing it with Performatrin Ultra. The vet told me that all dogs seem to respond very well to the canned low residue stuff. Not sure what's in it to entice them, but to this day, Maya jumps right off the floor when I treat her with canned food - now use canned Performatrin Ultra once in awhile and I mix it with dry.

Good luck
MJ

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
gene said:
Miko goes through stages. When she gets like that I add a couple of dollops of vanilla lo-fat yogurt. Mix it together, and she can't resist. And yes Canidae come canned also. Denver's Mom (sue) uses it.
we use yogurt sometimes

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well....it's a long story, but believe it or not nothing :!:
It all started one evening with vomiting. We ended up being up with Maya all night as she vomited every 5 minutes! I am not exagerating here! By 5 am she was so weak she was starting to have trouble standing, so I woke my vet up and we took her in. They started IV of course and took x-rays. My vet and I looked at the xrays and it seemed that she had swollowed something (shadows on the pics). Anyway, she had bowel surgery. The vet went through her entire bowel TWICE to find the whatever...and found nothing! She didn't stop vomiting for another full day, but vomited less of course because she was on medication. She nearly died...it was horrible. I would go in to the vet's after work and lay down with her and stroke her head and she would look at me with forlorn eyes. It nearly broke my heart. She was in hospital for 4 days and started eating decently on the 3rd day. The only thing she could eat and loved to eat, was the canned low residue I mentioned. It was a terrible experience, but ended well, with Maya being fine and healthy. The frustrating part is that we still don't know what happened, and you can't prevent what you don't know about right? We thought that maybe she got poisoned, but her liver enzymes were fine and her kidneys were fine...still don't know what happened. One things for sure though, is that I was glad to have pet insurance! The bill was $2000.00 and my plan payed 80% of it!

Thanks for asking about Maya.
MJ

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, so far I think Canidae is the magic food. Kryczek doesn't snub his nose at it at all and gobbles it up. I am a very happy mom now...:)

·
Registered
273 Posts
It might not be what you are feeding but how. As a young puppy we started of with Dante putting his bowl of food down for a certain length of time and whatever he didn't finish got picked back up when time was up. Sometimes he would snub his food and not eat at all. I started trying to mix things in but eventually he would snub his nose at that also. The vet suggested just leaving food out all the time and letting him graze. Since we only have one dog we tried it and it has worked great for us. Dante only eats 1 1/2 to 2 cups of food a day, is not too thin and in no way heavy. When I see his bowl empty or close to it I just add another couple of cups of food. He does not eat at the same time every day - some mornings he will eat right off the bat at 7am and others not until 10am. Again between noon and 4pm and maybe or maybe not a bit more later at night. Weather and exercise also influence his eating habits.

Heather

1 - 15 of 15 Posts