Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP Please

we groom Annabelle ourselves - have andis clippers with blades from #10 real short to #4or5 1/2" cut

My question is how do you cut them longer? Longest blade I can find is a 1/2 inch

Do I have to scissor cut all of her hair :( it will take me forever

·
Registered
273 Posts
I also groom Dante myself. He is losing his puppy coat and needs a clip. From the little reading I did on the web I ordered a #40 blade and a snap on blade comb that is suposed to allow you to clip the coat to 1 1/4 inches. The blade combs are really reasonable - I paid under $3 for mine. The article I read said that a #40 blade works the best with the snap on combs but you might be able to use it with a blade you already have. I hope to get the order next week and will post before and after pictures once I clip Dante.

Heather

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
combs are how to clip longer.

I do know from grooming my small poodles that the fur has to be quite tangle free in order for the comb to go effortlessly go through the fur. Though on a good note your pups hair looks somewhat easy to groom (not wild and wooly!) so it may come easy to you after a good brushing!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for the tips - I'll look for a comb attachment - I dont really like her cut so short (1/2") I'm liking how she is now about 1-1/2" I think - when she's short she looks too "poodlish", not they poods arent cute, but I love the doodle look

seazr said:
Hey Mary
Don't know about grooming but what's up with your stepping stone photos? I'm looking for unique stepping stones right now.
Diane I bought plain grey stepping stones at Lowes, smoothed them out with a river rock then you dust them off and mist them with rubbing alcohol to get rest of dust.

SEal with "patio paint clear coat" (at michaels) then paint on the design, let dry very well - then seal with several coats of clear coat -
I always paint the sides and bottom of my stones - bring the design down the sides - you can also paint a design on bottom so you can flip it seasonally.

As far as buying them prepainted -you might try craft shows in your area -my friends church craft group usually does some for their craft shows

here is a link for instructions on how to Make your own stones then paint them - but to save time you can buy premade stones

http://www.historystones.com/twosespainst.html

Also check with the senior centers in your area, a lot of them offer painting classes where you could paint your own or talk to the the Teachers and you could maybe commission one from the teacher.

You might go to the Calif State fair I notice they have a craft/paint section so you might be able to get one of the artist that enters the competition to paint some stones for you

Good luck finding what you are looking for as you def want to find locally - shipping for a concrete SS would be outrageous :wink:

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Goodness Mary, you're challenging me! I find natual slate-like rocks up at our lake house to use as stepping stones. I guess that's a good place to start. The interesting part is "painting your own design!!" Sheesh! Well, in a former life I was an agency artist, so I guess I'll try to call upon some ancient skills! :oops:

Now I want you to know I wasn't looking for any more challenges right now, but it's so hard for me to pass one up. You see I recently found some of the cutest latch hooked chair pads and I decided that I NEED them! But at $20 x 8, well that's just more than I want to spend. So, I wisely :shock: decided, I can do that myself! So I'm off to teach myself rug hooking. And on to of that starting agility next week! What am I thinking!!!???

Oh, well, I'm sure the stepping stones will be a lot of fun! :wink:

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL Diane, do you have xtra hours in your day :shock:

There are lots of free painting patterns on bunches of sites on line that you can use to paint on anything - just search for "free decorative painting patterns" I use patterns for most of my work as I cannot freehand - love to paint, just not a natural at it.

Hooking - have fun, I did that years ago, also used to to counted cross stitch but these eyes are too old for that anymore :wink:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Clipping

I took Cooper to petco to get him trimmed down. I tried to be specific (you know how we doodle mommies love the curls). And they buzzed him down to 1 inch and shaved his head.

I didn't have confidence to do it myself, because he was losing his puppy coat. Is it that difficult? And, where do you find longer clippers?

Thanks for your help, all.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the links !

I've been letting Annabelle's hair get a little longer but she has funny hair, it just doesnt lay real well, on top of her back it's kinda wirey, her head tries to be wavy, doesnt wanna stand up or lay down - funny girl. Rest of her the hair is straightish but doesn't lay well.

We took her to groomer when we got her, she freaked, hates the kennel so we got the clippers to do her ourselves and it's been fine. Just was wondering how everyone kept theirs longer when the blades only go to about 1/2".

Getting ready to give her a bath and clip this w/e will prob trim her shorter as I havent gotten out to get those comb extensions. She looks so much like a poodle body wise that she looks ok cut shorter - I dont allow DH to touch her tail though, he trimmed it so short first time it looked like a pencil waving around :shock:

will post after she is done :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Everyone:

My name is Cathy and my baby is Kiley. She's 10 months old and a real handful. I just had her groomed to be more comfortable for the summer heat and I like the lab/large Schnauzer look the groomer gave her. She has a coat that is more wild, wavey and kinky than curley. I would like to maintain this look for her year-round but she is a real demon when it comes to any sort of grooming procedure, even brushing.

I purchased 2 different types of clippers; neither of them even come close to getting through her coat without having to do it several times (not any easy task with an upset doodle). If I try to brush her, she has a fit. I have been trying to brush her since I got her at 11 weeks old.

Any suggestions will be gratefully accepted and tested. Anything to make life easier for both of us would be nice!

It's nice to meet all of you and look forward to posting questions in the future as I have many; being a first time doodle or dog owner for that matter!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Hi Cathy

Our Dexter isn't crazy about being brushed either. However we started giving him treats while we brush him and that has definitely made things better. I think our mistake was not brushing him often enough when he was younger. My husband will put a carot in his closed hand and let Dex chew a little of it at a time while I brush him. Don't know if this would help you...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Leslie:

Thanks for the tip. I will give it a try. I have tried treats in the past but not a carot. The treats don't last near long enough.

I have been told Kiley should be brushed with a slicker brush, which she despises, and will immediatley try to bite once she sees it come out. Any other acceptable options to the slicker brush?

Thanks,

Cathy

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
try a persons hair brush - I have used it in the past on one poodle I had, but the slicker does work the best. Perhaps a different color slicker or tie some ribbons on it to disguise it?

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
oh I should clarify we only use carots because of Dex's food allergies :) We used to use his favorite treat before we had to cut out treats :) I guess my point was to use something she really enjoys so she will think the brushing is also a good experience.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the fast responses. I will try anything to get her to cooperate with me. She is very stubborn, single-minded and only wants things when its her way.

I could keep all of you busy for days with the questions I want/need to ask.

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Cathy

Welcome - Kiley looks adorable. I dont have any probs brushing Annabelle, she loves it, she will try to nuzzle the brush but not enough to make brushing impossible, if I pick it up she comes over and sits down waiting to be brushed.

Hopefully the carrots will help - AB doesnt eat carrots - she plays hockey with them, all my labs loved Carrots but AB seems to think they are a toy even if I put it in her food dish :roll:

Have you tried brushing her as she is dozing off for a nap?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts