Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TOYS

Someone PLEASE help me. I'm going broke buying toys! Sandy shreds every toy I give him in minutes. I won 6 stuffed toys out of a toy machine in an arcade the other day... brought them home and handed one to Sandy and one to Molly. Molly carried hers around (and still has it), Sandy however shredded the first within 3 minutes - I took that away from him and gave him another... He shredded that one too. He destroyed 5 out of the 6 in under 30 minutes. Thank goodness it only cost me about $2 in tokens to get all 6 of those. I had done this for him before and the toys lasted around 2 weeks.

Now because we are out of soft toys, he is moving on to other things... like my comforter in my bedroom (no picture, I was too pissed) and one of my bed pillows. He has NEVER been so destructive before. This is also the first time we've been out of toys for him, so I'm sure this is the problem. He loves his nylabones and I got him a beef bone, but those just aren't cutting it for him all the time.

Soooo... long story short - I need ideas for chew toys for power destroyers. I can not keep replacing his chew toys so frequently... I still have a child to feed!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Kristin,

The only toy my have not been able to destroy is by shop by breed. Annmarie sent it to me about 4 months ago. It is a rubber teething ring, this is what it looks like.

Check out their site to find a retailer.
http://www.shopbybreed.com/locator.php

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Darn - the closest retailer is in Rhode Island, and the next closest is in CT... Maybe I can find somewhere to stop on my way to Jersey this weekend...

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Kristin,

Ruffians are great....even Jonah proof! Now that's an accomplishment. Available at Petsmart, etc....just don't buy petsmart's brand....not as durable!

Jonah and Miko give them 2 paws up!!

We also do well with the Kong football. They take off the outer coating, but it still lasts!

G

·
Kristin
Do you let him keep the "carcas" to play with. Maya has a toy she ripped up and I took all the stuffing out and just gave her the shell. She loves that cause she can shake it and toss it around easier

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
We bought 2 of those Ruffians this weekend - Kirby has already ate an ear off :shock: so we will have to let them play w/those only when supervised. We have 2 of the rings Lisa posted, but our doodles don't have much interest in them.

What they do love are non-editable nylabones. We have different shapes/flavors. They seem to really love the chicken flavored wishbone shaped one. We have them all over the house and not even Kirby has been able to make a dent in them yet. Kong balls are great too, but they are so bouncy that we only play with them outside.

We have a Jollyball for outside too - it's lasted 2+ months and just got a small puncture in it this past weekend. We also have 2 of those air Kongs (like what Gene posted, but a long stick)...I should say had...we are down to 1 now, but it did last awhile.

Oh yeah - we order from dog.com...SO much cheaper than Petsmart.

G

·
Kristin, The carcass is his prize :lol: . Like Maya, he would probably be happy to play with it.
That said, Bella , too, is going thru a stage of destruction. She has chewed TWO! DVD cases. Luckily, she left the actual DVD's alone. Both were Harry Potter :?
Anyway, I have been out of her bones, so I agree they look for a replacement to chew. I like to give her marrow bones from the supermarket, cut to about 2 inches long. It will keep her occupied for a long time.
As for toys, same ones that others have mentioned:
Jolly ball (outside toy), Kong football or long stick, and this one lasted fairly long, it's called an Orka:

PS: Are you coming to the romp??? That would be great! We hope to be there. Are you bringing your daughter?

:D

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
So why do you give Sandy soft toys? Does he prefer them? Charlie would PREFER to destroy my fuzzy slippers. (He even chews on them while they're on my feet.) In general, however, most of his toys are hard rubber. We also give him bones that keep him pretty busy.

He has some rope toys that seem to satisfy the need to dig his teeth into something. Maybe rope is the way to go for Sandy?

Deb

·
Registered
985 Posts
We have an Orka for Chouette, but she's not that chewy; so far she prefers softer toys and doesn't destroy them. She still has the cloth purse that Maureen sent with her in her crate, and she loves to carry it around - that and an owl I got her in Delaware. I also picked up a long soft toy like a puppy, with a squeaker, and that's become one of her favorites.

We have the little blue Ruffian toy from Petsmart but she's not that interested in it.

What about just tying knots in strips of old towels? Would that work for Sandy? Or would he chew pieces off them? Does he do in Kongs, too? That must be really frustrating, not being able to keep him in toys!

Leslie

G

·
And I found this at wal mart:

You are supposed to fill it with water and freeze it, but i could never get the end off to fill it. Just could not figure it out :oops: and Bella plays with it anyway :lol:

G

·
Be careful with the Orka. My friend's lab destroyed one and the little things sticking out...well Maya ate one. I was going crazy watching for it to come out. It did eventually.

Maya isn't a big destroyer of toys. She has destroyed one and that is it. All her other stuff toys are intact. She seems to do her heavy chewing on the bacon flavored ring from Hartz. I got it at the grocery store (actually have several). Maybe if he had a plastic ring like that he would use that for chewing and stuffed toys with sqeakers in them for annoying Mom. (that's what Maya does)

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Does your dog like bones? We just adopted Gus (4 months old) and the previous owners said, like yours does, he chewed everything. We always have bones on the floor available and we directed him to them and he hasnt chewed anything else. He does chew the bones for 4 or 5 hours a day. I couldnt imagine the trouble he would get into without that outlet.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Rowen loves his kong and a little circular rubber teething ring and he hasn't destroyed them yet.. although when we got him the Orka, he destroyed it completely within a few hours.. he ripped apart the blue plastic and the internal ropes into tiny pieces!..it was a big mess to clean up :shock:
But he does love bones and those keep him busy for at least a day or two.. :roll:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lmtoth2 said:
What they do love are non-editable nylabones. We have different shapes/flavors. They seem to really love the chicken flavored wishbone shaped one. We have them all over the house and not even Kirby has been able to make a dent in them yet.
I need to take a picture of the damage Sandy has done to his! Both ends are flattened (and sharp!) from his power chewing. We have 4-6 floating around the house and they all need to be thrown away.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hmz819 said:
Kristin
Do you let him keep the "carcas" to play with. Maya has a toy she ripped up and I took all the stuffing out and just gave her the shell. She loves that cause she can shake it and toss it around easier
I let him keep the carcass until he starts shredding it... which is usually the next step once he defuzzes it.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DebBrown said:
So why do you give Sandy soft toys? Does he prefer them? Charlie would PREFER to destroy my fuzzy slippers. (He even chews on them while they're on my feet.) In general, however, most of his toys are hard rubber. We also give him bones that keep him pretty busy.

He has some rope toys that seem to satisfy the need to dig his teeth into something. Maybe rope is the way to go for Sandy?

Deb
Unless its a nylabone (edible or durable) he prefers soft toys... He doesn't like the rope at all. He just loves shredding things - Can't do the old towel tied in knots trick because he'd shred the towel and swallow the strings.

This is just another one of those fun phases, I'm sure. We are just entering the terrible age for doodles - Sandy is just under 9 months old!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Hmmm... I don't know which way I'd go.

If you want to go with the soft toys, I have to agree with the last post. Visit thrift shops, garage sales, etc. We recently gave away a huge garbage bag full of old stuffed animals. You should be able to keep him happy fairly cheaply.

On the other hand, I think I'd want to discourage destructive chewing. He needs to be directed toward appropriate toys. They always say not to let your dog have ANY shoe if you don't want him to think all shoes are fair game.

I'd be tempted to try those big old knuckle bones. They look like they have plenty of flavor and could keep a dog busy.

I sure hope for your sake that this is a phase.

Deb

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you thank you thank you!! You all have given me GREAT ideas. I'm feeling a little better now - Oddly enough I just went and bought two new bleached bones plus the new nylabones - and this, which is an old favorite...

which, btw - my grocery store sells for $3 cheaper then Petsmart!

And Vanessa - I can't give him bottles anymore. He has figured out how to instantly flatten them and then starts biting off chunks of the corners!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Because Napa likes to defuzz toys, we've bought him all non-fuzzy squeaky toys.

His particular favorite is this one:
Mr. Ball

And these are supposed to be indestructable. Napa isn't a serious chewer, but they've held up pretty well. They're soft-ish, but sewn together really well. We've had the bone shaped ones, which are getting to be just the right size for Napa, and we just bought him the Extreme toss and pull. I wanted to get him into fetching it like gun dogs fetch those dummies, but his mouth is too small for the bigger side, so he just chews the rope, but he's a very happy camper with it.

Bamboo toys

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Cali will shred the carcasses too, so I've decided to stop giving her soft toys. The only toy she hasn't destroyed is a basketball I got at Walmart. She hasn't been able to sink her teeth in to it. All other balls I've bought have been deflated in 30 seconds, even soccer balls. She loves playing head soccer with the basketball in her attempts to sink her teeth in. We use a lot of rawhide bones :oops: I know, not good, I have to get some real bones. On my to do list today.

Perhaps she is extra "chewy" at the moment with a "new baby" in the house and this is how she's dealing with it? I probably shouldn't apply human reactions to the dogs, but just a thought.

Cali also loves to chew on ice.

Sorry, wish I could give you a longer list of alternatives. I'll be interested in all the suggestions everyone comes up with.

This turned out too long-winded. Sorry! :shock:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts