Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do those of you out there that have 3+ dogs handle all the poop?????

As I was doing my weekly sweep of the yard and filling the bag from our 5 month old puppy I was just amazed at how much I had to pick up! ..and then I thought about the forum and all of the breeders and such with 3+ dogs and just wondered how you dealt with it all? Do you have a poop pile? Do you use it as fertilizer?

Sorry if this is such an off the wall question but I really am curious!!!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Trust me......any poop question is one anyone of us will talk about.... :oops: :lol:

With my three, I use baby diaper bags from the dollar tree for $1 per hundred. Then I pitch them in a large bag for the trash once a week. We are in the process of switching foods and with the EVO, Rumor's poop is half the size of the old food. I'm planning in switching all three soon.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Living rurally as we do, we have a dumpster that's emptied once a month, so ours gets put into plastic bags and tossed in the dumpster.
With 4 big dogs and 14 pups, we have a lot of doggie doo to dispose of!

It is NOT a good fertilizer... the only use I've found for it is that raked into the holes the dogs start, it discourages them for digging there anymore. I then cover it with wood chips to keep the flies from hanging around it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
We have 4 dogs and ive had to make it part of our DAILY morning rhythm. I go out each morning with a bag in hand and another to cover my hand and pick on up. My 1.5 likes to help by showing me where there is more :lol: If i didnt do it every day or even when i see it in the afternoon the kids would have a hard time playing back there. A year a so ago with just the three we would get lazy and my oldest was pretty good at avoiding it but not fun to have to have it around anyway so i do it every single morning

Michele

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
we have one area we walk them and pick it up weekly
i wear rubber gloves , then double bag the plastic shopping bags,
when done all goes into Large garbage bag and into garbage can.

as your dogs get older like 1.5yrs + they don't poop as much as when puppies

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Every week around Wednesday I go out and pick up the poo. I take two target or walmart bags. One to put the poo in the other to pick up the poo then i put the bag i picked up the poo into the bag with the poo and close it. I put it in the trash. All done. Till the next week. (I only have two doodles, but that is what works for me)

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
With us it is a daily thing...and we do like the others, pick it up and put it in double bags and in the trash.
When we settle, we plan to make a doggie dooley...but we'd have to be sure it doesn't contaminate any well water. :roll:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
OK...some already know about this that I use...I try to pick up daily into a plastic bag, which I then twist shut and hang on the fence to pick up some more later...then it goes into the second sack and into the trash!
Target sacks are great....a little thicker than Walmarts or our grocery store's....I love my little tool! On walks we just use the poop bags we get from Target. We have two doodles and may change our methods~ if and when I have more..... :roll:

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I use the same one Jane, but since we are not allowed
to put in regular trash the poop goes in the toilet.....................

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Really? Wow, that would take me awhile...several flushes....which is worse.... the water use, or to the landfill ? maybe the landfill, actually.
I love the tool !
8)

I have hit the "submit" button 16 times so far....I'll try again!
:evil:

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
Really? Wow, that would take me awhile...several flushes....which is worse.... the water use, or to the landfill ? maybe the landfill, actually.
I love the tool !
Down at the park where I walk Denver i can take it there
as they have the waste recycles for doggy poop but I do not like walking
the poop to its final resting spot every day so into the toilet..........

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I didn't know everyone else put it in the trash too! I always figured it was one thing that they didn't allow and that I was sneeking organic matter in there to compensate for all the stuff that doesn't/won't break-down at the dump! :D

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Same as everyone above...

on walks, pick up with grocery store bags that have been carefully examined to be free of holes...

back yard, we pooper scooper almost everyday, just while we are out there with the dogs...

and if they have been working on a hole??? we fill it with poo and cover up with some top soil... so if the try it again, they find a surprise!!! Unfortunately they are very smart and this only worked for a little while, they figured out not to dig the spots that have the dark dirt... stick the the GA clay, and it's poo free... so now, I am working on getting some extra GA clay for my poo traps!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
7 Posts
We have 2 areas in our yard that are planted with the ground cover I know as myrtle or vinca minor. Maya only does her business in the myrtle, her idea, her choice. And we never have to pick it up! It doesn't smell and we never walk through it! I'm feeling pretty fortunate after reading about Target bags! Of course for everywhere else I have a saddle bag on her leash holding baggies for pick-up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Maya thanks you for the compliment :) I can't tell you how much I have enjoyed perusing this site and looking at photos of everyone's favorite doodle. They are all beautiful and so bright eyed. If I thought I could manage it, I'd have a houseful instead of just 1! But........then I'd have to plant more myrtle!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Mystic Blue said:
They are all beautiful and so bright eyed. If I thought I could manage it, I'd have a houseful instead of just 1! But........then I'd have to plant more myrtle!
Do it! You won't be sorry!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
593 Posts
We live with woods bordering our backyard and Sampson naturally goes there to poop.
Perhaps he is marking the edges of his territory???

1 - 19 of 19 Posts