Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
We have been on the hunt for a Labradoodle, I saw one on livedeal.com and my Mom travled out to see her today. It was $650, too good to be true because, my Mom(she is a dog groomer) said it looked like a Regular Lab. She said it had straight short fur not the poodle type hair. She also said the puppy was very thin, was not playful at all, and in a dirty pen. She said she would "never" buy a dog from someone that did not keep them clean, she said the puppy lookes really "Sad".

Well,if I had gone I would have felt so bad , I would have got it anyways :).

I am waiting on another litter. It should be around $950-$1100 for a pup. I am still trying to figure out the F1 & F2 lingo. This breeder says the puppies will have the male standard Poodle (silver) and the Sire and Dam is a Labradoodle (Her mother was an English black colored labradoor smaller in size to a regular labradoor and her father was a white standard poodle.) So if you breed a Labradoodle with a Poodle what is it? Sorry about the ignorance, I am embarassed to call the breeder and ask myself.
She said the Sire is very mellow and sweet and the Dam loves the kids and playing in any water she can get into. I saw a previous litter and they were little chubba bubbas.

Does this sound legit??? Are there any standard questions I should ask?

Thanks so much!!!!
Jenny

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hi Jenny

Welcome!!!!!!

What a smart future doodle parent you are to do research before you adopt.

I have been a doodle parent only a couple of months, but the people here taught me to ask the breeders if both parents have been health tested .

Eyes
Hips
Elbows
Heart

These are the main things looked at for breeding parents.
Also I learned that the personality of the parents is very important to help get an idea what the puppies will be like when they're grown.

Talk to your mom. Invite her here to the forum. It sounds like she is pretty smart not to adopt a puppy when she has concerns. She knew that the puppy she saw did not seem to be given the love and care necessary to get a good start in life.

There are lots of people here with much more experience than me.

I hope I've given you a good start.

Good Luck in your search-

Maddie and Lexi

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found another couple of pups for $500. I have pics, but I don't know how to load them :( That breeder said " They are F1 Labradoodles. Mother is a standard poodle and Father is a purebred yellow lab his akc coloring is actually considered fox red. Both grandparents have been tested for everything and passed with flying colors."

The other 1 is $750 and she said " I expect the health of any puppy I sell to be excellent and they come with a health certificate from my vet and a two week, no reason needed return policy. If the pup is not a good match for any reason I want you to return so that I can place it in the best possible home. I also offer a lifetime re-homing program if that should ever be needed.
These are a f-1 cross. The dam is a chocolate std poodle that lives here in the house. The sire is a yellow labrador who lives with his humans about one hour west of here. "Both parents are house pets and the puppies are raised in the house with the family. And while the puppies can not be registered, both parents are registered with the AKC."

What do you think???
I am so afraid, I will make a bad choice for my little girl.
Thanks a bunch!!

G

·
Hi Jenny,
I would only purchase a puppy whose parents have been health tested like Maddie said.

I would only purchase a puppy with a 2 year health guarantee, with the guarantee including reimbursement for medical problems up to the original cost of the puppy (not just a replacement puppy). Most people become VERY ATTACHED very quickly to their puppies and would never return them if they were diagnosed with a genetic problem.

To me, AKC registration is just a piece of piece with absolutely NO GUARANTEES of health, so I would not be looking for this.

I would definitely be looking for a great temperament in the parents. Calm and friendly. I would like to meet them and be able to talk to and possibly meet their dogs of others who have purchased puppies from the same parents.

I have learned alot and will be VERY INFORMED if I ever purchase another puppy. You and your Mom are very smart to be doing your homework before a purchase!

If your Mom wants to post the state you live in, maybe some of the breeders can point you in the right direction.

G

·
PS: An F1 has a Poodle and Labrador for parents.
An F1B has a Labradoodle for one parent and a poodle for the other parent.
An F2 has a Labradoodle Mom AND Dad.
I think I got that right. :lol:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hi Jenny,

Linda is absolutely right, a 2 year written warrantee is a must. Also the health testing and papers for parents should be provided as well.

It also might be helpul to look at a few websites to see what is typically is provided by reputable breeders:

Backporch Labradoodles
4 Paws Labradoodles
Double D Labradoodles
Doodlesville

Just a few sites I know of - the breeders from these sites are active on this forum and give free advice to all of us.

I was just as nervous as you - so don't feel alone there. Continue asking questions - and make an informed decision

Maddie and Lexi

See what the stanards are.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I will pass on these two then.

My Mom is not afraid to ask all the questions but, I am that's why I deferred to her. The puppy is actually for my daughter, she is 8. It's a suprise she has waited 2 years for. I also have a 7 year old and a 4 year old so, I can't take off and look at puppies of they would tell on me ...lol.. and the suprise would be out.

We live in MA and It's so hard to find a doodle out here. I look at all the ads and they are all south or west of me. She really wants a black one, and she even has a stuffed dog that looks like a doodle and it's black too.
I know I am being impatient, I getting great advice from you gals and I thank you for that. I am kinda an impulse buyer so Nana (my Mom) is great to check out the pups.

I'll keep looking. They ALL look sooo cute. was trying to convince my husband we should get 2 and he thinks I'm crazy. He said let's start with 1. Oh well , off to search .

Sleepless in Doodledreams....
Jenny

·
Registered
853 Posts
Jenny - another thing I would look for in a puppy, since you have small children, is a SUBMISSIVE puppy. They are usually more willing to please. All the puppies I had when my kids were little were very submissive, not "fearful", but did not try to "dominate". They were very gentle around the kids and did not cause any problems at all. The doodle I have now has a more dominant personality and I'm glad my youngest child is 14. He is a little strong-willed and does not give up as easily as a submissive dog would. So.......I would find a good breeder and ask her to help you pick a puppy with a submissive temperament. Just my 2 cents. :D [/b]

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
The ones who have posted have given some good advice and it seems you and your Mom won't just jump in a buy a pup from someone because it's the right price.

Here are a few more things:

How long have they been breeding and why did they start?

A good written health guarantee like they stated before (2 years) or more.

Health testing on parents, hips, elbows, eyes, some do heart, thyroid panels and CBC panels.

Ask about their Vaccaniation schedule

Ask who their Vet is and if you can call him or her?

How old are the parents of the pups? Females should at least be 1 year old. Males can start a little younger, and can breed longer than females I retire my females early at about 4 years of age.

Health and Temperament are the 2 most important things then conformation then sex and color if that matters to you. Some put this first and that really is a mistake.

These are a few I'm sure others will post more. It is a huge decision so take it slow and the right puppy will come along.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello again,
Wow you are all such a wonderful resource. I am feeling much more confident in what I should be looking for. I came across this site in RI and it's pretty close to me. How does it look to you? The puppies are sooooo cute!!! My daughter is praying for a black pup, but I told her we wanted to make sure we would have a puppy that would be happy with our family and it may or may not be black. I am happy we took th focus off color and placed it on temperment(I hadn't thought of that at all).
Thanks again,

Oh, here is the link:
http://mysite.verizon.net/ridoodles/

G

·
And here is a breeder with a 3 year health guarantee. She has 2 beautiful Black slightly older puppies available at a discount, too cute!
http://www.blazingstarkennel.net/page6.html
They would probably need to be shipped because they are in Canada, though. If you decide shipping would be OK, you really open up to a great selection of puppies. I'm sure our breeders who post here can tell you more about shipping and what they have available.

·
Registered
853 Posts
If you get a pup from a reputable, responsible breeder, they should be able to help you pick out a submissive puppy. They see the pups everday and know how they interact with the other pups. There is also a temperament test you can do with the pup, but, I'm not sure how to get that info for you. I'm in the middle of my first day of nursing school, so I gotta run............ :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I sent an e-mail out to the NJ one. I loved the older ones but, my little girl would love a puppy :). What a wealth of information there is here. I am so happy I stumbled upon this forum. I really love that curley coat. If I got a Labradoodle that is bred to a poodle will that give me that sheep dogish look (F1B-right?), and if so what's the maintenance on a fluffy coat like that.
Jenny

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hi Jenny, I'm a little late on getting in on this post but you have been given some great advise, as always :) You are correct, a first generation Labradoodle bred back to a poodle is an F1b and more than likely will have a curly coat but there are still some F1b's that have the straighter coat but your breeder will help to guide you on the coat you want. An F1b is a little higher maintenance than an F1 Labradoodle but if you get a pup with a nice fleecy coat, the maintenance will not be overwhelming. Make sure you don't get a wool coated F1b, they will be high maintenance. The Labradoodle goes thru a period of what they call "blowing their puppy coat". This happens anywhere from 7 mos to a year of age and can last for several weeks. During this time it is important to brush your doodle about twice a week to brush out that puppy coat and keep his/her coat from matting.

Let us know what you hear back from the NJ breeder :) Good luck :)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
word on black:

Max is blacker than midnight...and does NOT show dirt/mud etc.
He always looks clean :D
He's a F1 ...started out with tiny wave down his back.
now he's really wavy to scruffy looking with a slight curl to the waves.
This is a Fleece coat. VERy easy as there is no real upkeep. I brush him for relaxation 3 times week though he doesn't need it.

some breeders charge LESS for black...depends on the area and what people want at the time

And when sweeping it's easier to find black puppy fuzz and get it all up.
Max minimally sheds right now or to my friends who do have dogs that shed---they say you call that shedding! and go into severe laughter! :wink:

OH I have a submissive puppy ...they're more laid back but have the comical sock stealing ways

1 - 20 of 38 Posts