Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the 3rd time that I've heard dog food should be changed about 4 times a year.
Anyone heard of this?
Reasons I was given is that a constant diet of the same food can cause allergies.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Sorry, I haven't heard that one. If you are feeding a good quality feed and your Doodle is doing well with it, I don't see any need to change. If it ain't broke, don't fix it :wink:

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
dixiedi said:
Sorry, I haven't heard that one. If you are feeding a good quality feed and your Doodle is doing well with it, I don't see any need to change. If it ain't broke, don't fix it :wink:
DITTO

G

·
I have 'heard' this but I really can't see how it would make sense. Changing a dog's food can be such a big deal.
I feed the Canidae dry food and also supplement with fresh veggies (carrots, cucumbers, green beans) and fresh fruit (Bella LOVES pineapple :roll: ) and whatever meat or fish leftovers I have from dinner. She also gets tuna as a treat.
My childhood dog was fed Mighty Dog and table scraps plus fresh chicken livers as a treat once a week. She lived to age 15.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Well, I haven't heard any official word, but if I had to eat the same thing every day, I would get bored so I assume my dogs would too. I have changed Calvin and Madges food at least 5 times since I got madge last year. I do the gradual change over time and I am going from great quality to great quality....For instance, we ate Nutro for a while and then we went to Solid Gold Hund-n-flocken, then Dick Van Pattens Natural Balance and now we are eating EVO. I think I like this one the best. No grains so I feed less and they poop less, too. I have NEVER had a problem with them eating...(They would eat tires if I gave it to them in a bowl). The only time Calvin had diarrhea is when he was eating Kirkland Brand....

I have heard that you can create a 'picky eater' when you change food alot, but this was always from the manufacturer of food. Of course they would say that. They want me to buy their food for 15 years!

Anyway, I have never had a problem changing food. Anyone else have stories?

Leslie

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I honestly don't think we can make the leap that dogs would or do get bored by the same food....if you think about it in natural terms, they hunt and eat based on opportunity instead of variety.

Having just read about the toxic treats coming from China I do think that the foods made here, in this country are best.

Nature's Select and/or Canidae seem great and SAFE- which is more important than anything.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I suppose it is possible. People develop intolerances to certain foods that they eat too much of. I suppose this could also happen to dogs. I don't think I would switch "just in case" but if I saw signs of intolerance.

Deb

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We are feeding Bogie Pet Promise.
http://www.petpromiseinc.com/
It was made by a vet here in the USA after the recall problem.

When I talked to a few knowledgeable people that have said that it's good to change and I was going to do the Canidae maybe this summer.
We also have doen the Dick Van Patten, but found Pet Promise agreed with Bogie more as a puppy.

I too am leary about changing because I know it can potentially cause a stomach dilemma.....so I wondered of anyone else had heard of this or thought it was important. I'd actually rather stick with one.......it's easier and as long as there's no stomach issues.........why change, right?

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
it's easier and as long as there's no stomach issues.........why change, right?
That's how I feel - if it's not broke don't fix it :) Our 2 have never seemed bored in the least...they gobble down their food in about 1 minute or less.

G

·
Evo sounds wonderful (except that their canned foods are processed in a Menu Foods facility).
Pet Promise also sounds wonderful.
I am glad there are some other choices out there.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Pet promise is not rated well. Has soy which is bad and very little meat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts