Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have had it with winter, we have mud, mud, mud and it ends up on everything! Our walls are two-toned and my dogs are matted! Ugh!!!

So, I ordered a steam cleaner (for my house, not the dogs!)...not a carpet shampooer, but a steam cleaner...it kills germs without chemicals, it cleans like a charm, it disinfects, kills fleas, flea eggs, dust mites...everything! You can clean just about anything with it! Best investment I have ever made! (Can be dangerous due to really hot steam though...so if you have curious dogs you have to lock them away...kids too! LOL)
http://www.vaporsystems.com/applications.htm Okay, sticker shock, I know...but if you have the kind of dirt that I get, plus if you have puppies and want to protect them from germs without the use of chemicals, this thing is sooooo worth the money!

Also...some of you know that I like the LesPooches brushes, but when a mat forms, it is impossible to remove, short of clipping it out...still deep mats need clipping, but I just bought a "Mars Coat King" and I am here to tell you...I brushed Rosie with it and got enough hair to fill a pillow! Really!! It is an amazing tool and the advertisements shown are not phony! If you could have seen the huge pile of dog hair on my floor last night, you'd have been amazed! I know that I was! Plus the sharpness last for years...still, I ordered 5 of them! LOL
www.marsgroomingproducts.com.au Even though it came from Australia, the shipping for all 5 was only $12 and with the conversion rates, it was less expensive. The shipment arrived pretty fast too, all things considered.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Jacque, you've really got my attention on these goodies, especially the steam cleaner. What an excellent, non-toxic means of keeping things sterile! I'm drooling!

Sticker shock, well Yes! I might have to wait a bit before it happens, but gee, it looks Great. Just think what it could do for general cleaning! I'm snowed by the time it would save not needing to scrub grout.

Gee, could one also take a poopy puppy pad outside and spray it off before dumping in the wash? If that would sterilize and clean it before it goes in the same machine that washes the dish towels, it's worth the price of admission right there, even with Clorox!!! The creepy factor would drop exponentially!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Deb...it really is a great tool! I love it and it is easy to use and "haul" around.
Don't know about puppy pads, I am certain you could use the steam to kill germs and to loosen dried poop...I just don't now!
I have tried it on my stove, in the microwave, my floors, my walls...I have run the steam over sofas to kill dust mites, and it even has a squeagie to clean windows...I'll try that soon!
I kills mold and mildew...and it is just really easy.
I figure it will actually save me a lot of money, especially when I consider what my time is worth!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Jac, what Blade # did you get and did you get 5 different blades or all the same one? We need a "Wonder Tool" to help us avoid the groomers. :lol:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually wrote to the distributor and asked...she said:

"I have sold many, many Coat Kings to people in Australia to use on all types of poodle crosses and I have had great feedback on its’ success. Part of the charm of these dogs is their shaggy look and I find the Coat King 18 blade works to remove the fluffy content of the coat and therefore reduce the knotting problem that they often have.

How the Coat King works:- You comb the Coat King through the coat, using very light pressure, in the direction of coat growth. As you do this the straighter hair passes through the teeth and the fluffy underneath coat is picked up on the blade section of the tooth and actually pulled out. The dogs tolerate this because hair was going to fall out anyway and it is a very fine hair follicle. If the tool hits a knot, the hair associated with the knot will push firmer on the blade section and instead of excessively pulling on the hair (like a comb would) it simply cuts through the knot. So the Coat King is an undercoat and a matt breaker in one tool. The Coat is made in Solingen Germany and is of a very high quality blade so it last for up to 6 to 8 years on one dog, then you can simply replace the head section for approx. half the initial purchase price. "

So, I ordered 5! :D

G

·
More questions! Jac, if I am reading the information on the site correctly, the 10 original has the same spacing as the 18 double, the difference is that the the 18 double is just wider. Do you think with Bella being small (45 pounds) I should get the 10? Is there a little more control with the smaller 10? Does it matter? Do you have any pictures of Rosie after using it? Do you think it will work ok with Bella who has a very poodly, woolly coat?
And you must try my tip for mixing Cowboy Magic with the Eqyss Premier conditioner, and applying it to the dry coat. The mats then just slip out when you use the rake. NOTHING else worked as well for me. Each product alone was OK, but when mixed it is a miracle worker!
It's so funny you posted about a vapor steamer. I did some research about a month ago and they sounded wonderful. I ordered one and
I just received it and can't wait to try it out. It was not as expensive a model as yours, but if it does what it claims, I will be thrilled! You can even detail your vehicle inside and outside to make it look new. It's what the professional detailers use before they sell a used car!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmmm, I am looking at the Coat King now and it is only about 3, maybe 3 1/2 inches wide...a smaller one wouldn't do for me. My dogs are pretty big, except for Bayley, she is about 40 lbs. But, even if my dogs were all small, I'd like this size. Anything smaller might take me too long!
I bought the Cowboy Magic and the Horse Conditioner...just can't find where I put them! LOL I am sure they will turn up sometime.
I don't have any pictures of Rosie yet...I am still working on her. The bad thing is that her mats just really surprised me. I had no idea she was getting them...they sort of just appeared one day! I think that her being in the rain a lot contributed...but the mats are horrible...very thick and right down to the skin. There is nothing that will remove them. I am taking the sissors to her as often as I can...trying to get rid of them so that I can groom her with the Coat King and keep the mats away.
I felt so sorry when she got so matted! Nitos is too...but not Chase...he has ringlet sort of curls. So, I figure that I will cut all of the mats out, condition the heck out of their coats and then brush them very regularly.
The exam and school made me into a very irresponisble groomer, I'm afraid...now I need to make it up to my dogs.

Glad you are getting a steamer, hope you like it as much as I like mine! I have been planing on using it on the car too! Glad to hear it works so well!

As you can tell, I am going to be very busy for the next few months! *sigh*

G

·
Jac,
I just ordered the Coat King! I can't wait to try it. Here is a sheepdog forum talking about using it. The title of the thread is "You gotta have one of these!" :lol:
They say it's addictive and fun to use. :lol: (maybe they are as silly as our forum!)
I ordered mine from HPPets:
http://www.hppets.com/pages/catalog/gro ... gQodMyBKkw
I will do before and after photos of Bella when I get it.
And Gene, they have Horse Coat Kings, too :lol:

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hope that you like yours as much as I like mine, Linda! Let me know how it works for you, will you?
That's funny about the sheepdog forum! People are all the same...most of us just silly in love with our doggies! :D
I just got back from the vet (had a frightening night with sick puppies) where I met a man who had a litter of Rohdesian Ridgeback/Poodle mix pups...he said they were he funniest looking dogs! LOL But he loves them so much...said they are goofy...I told him that must be the Poodle in them! The vet tech said that they were beautiful and all very different (just like our doods) and that the ridge down their back was still there, but very long! hahaha Wish I could see one...anyway, the owner adores them!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Thanks for posting the information on these. I was poised to spend a bit more on a doodle supplies site. The one you posted, Linda, is about 30 minutes from here, so I may roll down the hill and choose one in person.

Jacque, have you been "autoclaving" your house? How's that steam cleaner? I note in the data on the cleaner the difference in water used in that one as opposed to brand X. That tells me that the standard pressure washer would get water all over everything. I'm still drooling over your new find. It would be Super to have in place in time for the new arrivals.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey, Deb, I do love the steam cleaner! It is so nice to know that I can disinfect without chemicals...I think that is the best thing, but man when it cleans this easily, I can't go wrong! (Still, it DOES take time, energy and a bit of inconvenience...lol...so I limit my use! hahaha)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Jac...now Rosie is a golden like Peanut. NOW her coat mats right...is her coat more like a poodles versus a golenretriever??? meaning it doesn't have 2 layers, yet is longer than labradoodles.
Curious is all and also wondering if i should save this forum post just in case Peanut turns out more like Rosie...thanks

G

·
Gracilou, Do you have any before and after photos? Any tips for using it? I'm nervous that I will be taking 'too much off'. Can this happen?
Thanks!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
AnnMarie, I sent a PM to you...

Rosie's coat...is unique! LOL

Linda, do you like the Coat King? I think that once every two weeks with that would do nicely, along with regular brushing.

Now that I have time, I need to spend much of it on my dogs...and my house! Lots to catch up on! So, dog grooming and training and exercise are top of my list of priorities.

Sure wish that I had land, like you and Diane do...I am so jealous! :wink:

G

·
I just spent an hour brushing Bella. I am looking forward to getting the Coat King to give it a try. I am thinking of cutting her short if the Coat King does not help. She is just so woolly, everything just gets caught up in her coat, pieces of sticks, pieces of pine trees. Even when she is mat free, combing and brushing her is not easy. Her coat seems very dry and dull, except her ears are shiny and silky. I know nutrition can affect that but she is on great food and I think this is just how her coat is going to be. It kind of separates into dreadlocks immediately after combing. She is soft and fluffy, but definitely not silky. She looks like the sheep you see at the petting zoo, the ones who never get brushed :lol: Since she is so poodly, maybe she got a mainly poodle coat, and maybe this type of coat is why the poodles are usually clipped? What does a poodle look like when their coat is allowed to get long...anyone know?
I have to laugh because when she was a puppy I thought she was the rare F1 who would have that fleece coat. She was soft, silky with lots of curl...then she blew her puppy coat and this one is arriving to stay :lol:
Any and all suggestions and comments welcome!

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep, I sure do! My Chase is our "Rasta Dog" and I love his coat...I think that you do have a Poodle coat on your pup...you can keep it clipped to about an inch to two inches long and it looks great. Poodle coats are soft as silk though, so if it is rough feeling that could mean it is more Lab in texture.
NuVet vitamins are really good for coat and skin...I think that is the brand, Diane and Linda swear by them.
Here is my Chase...I love his look...in fact, I can't tell you how many people ask me if my chocolate Labradoodle is for sale...I only have one chocolate dog...my Rasta Dog Chase! LOL

·
Registered
483 Posts
Linda, it sounds like you may indeed have the wooly poodle coat. Deva gets that same thick matty look on her hips, denoting a dense undercoat. I finally raked one leg and hip and removed gargautuan amounts of hair. She looks much better and the coat doesn't "solidify" as quickly now. From the description of the Coat King, it would probably be more comfortable for the dog and might be a real help in thinning the undercoat.

I'll defer to Jac's expertise, since she's got the fuzzy dog And the Coat King, but it sounds like a winner.

Chase is Gorgeous! Curly locks, indeed!

G

·
Thanks everyone! Jac, I LOVE Chase! Do you trim his face? I can barely see Bella now with all the curls on her face. I have to take her to the groomers, even if just to get her nails done. Should I Coat King her first? What should I ask for if I do get her trimmed? Help, it's like being a new Mom all over again! :lol:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts