Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Our labradoodle Linnie had puppies on Jan 4th. (They've all gone home now....we are so lonely...) This was Linnie's first litter, my question is how long after they have their puppies(generally speaking of course) do they have their next heat?
We live in a new neighborhood, and just had a new family move in next door. They have a male dog that is not nuetered yet. We have an underground fence, so this dog could potentially enter our yard if it had good enough reason. I want to make sure that when that time is approaching I take extra precautions to make sure Linnie and the neighbor dog do not have any contact.
Normally is is 6-7 months, I think.(however every dog's timing is not exact) I wasn't sure if it made a difference in the cycle if she has had puppies.
Thanks!
Tom

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Gene. I am going through withdrawal at the moment. Each puppy had their own personality, the cuddlers, the playful ones. I am fighting the urge to call my new puppy parents daily to ask about their new family member...

Here is a pic of the last two puppies and one of the last puppy on her final day here with her mom (apricot doodle) and our lab.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Awwwww....I couldn't do it...I'd end up with all of them...just would want them to stay puppies forever! My dream of what heaven would be like! :wink:

·
Registered
558 Posts
We also viewed your pups and love your website, we hope when we finaly get our new one up and running its as good as yours and as for your forum area wow really cool we joined and will be posting our ooooh and ahhhhhhhs at your pups We have run now getting late and time for tom to jump on the bed..lol

·
Registered
8,336 Posts
I agree with you Gene,(surprised) I could not be a breeder,
as I would end up keeping them all. :wink: :wink: :wink:
They are so sweet and look so happy .

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Sweet pictures, thanks for sharing :) And, yes, your dog will stay on her cycle. She could cycle again 4 months after she has her litter of pups so be very careful :!:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the compliment on my site! Thanks also for the responses to my question.
I ran into my new neighbor and they are pretty sure they are going to put up a fence. They have two younger children that they want to keep fenced in addition to their dog!
Works for me.

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
Hi Tom, adorable litter, congratulations on finding them a good home.

The heat cycle varies with each dog...but I have been told that the cycle remains the same as if pregnancy had not happened (because every dog goes through false pregnancy if not true pregnancy.) So, if your girl cycles every 6 months or 8 months, she should remain on that cycle.

I cry when every pup goes...every one. And we get so sad when our house is quiet again. But I'd like to share with you a letter that I recently received...we donted a puppy to a child whose parents have a trainer and they are working to train this puppy as a seizure alert dog for their young son...we didn't know if she (the pup) would have the right instincts, but she is really very special. Here is the note (I am taking the boy's name out, for privacy reasons):

After 21 days of no
seizures (by the way, that is the longest Boy has
ever gone with no seizure
activity), Boy's seizures started up again on
Saturday. Allie definitely
sensed something. She starting running in
circles around Boy and starting
licking his hands and face, then she put her
front paw on him and laid down
next to him. It was so discouraging for his
seizures to start again, but to
see the way that Allie reacted gave me chills.
The trainer that I spoke
with said that this was a great sign that she
recognizes the changes in Boy,
especially at this early age. In time, when she
is a little bit older, we
will be able to work with that. Allie is
special, you got that right! She
is such a smart girl and a blessing to our
family!

THIS is why we are able to do it. :D

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Jac that is great! You are doing such a wonderful job with your breeding and your puppies! I am proud to be assosiated with you on this forum! BRAVO!!

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Jac ...you are not only a very good breeder but one with a big heart as well. I congratulate you on having your puppies go for service doodles as they are greatly needed and excelllent in this area.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Jac, that is just wonderful :) This is the ultimate in what we would want out of our puppies, congratulations on producing great puppies :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You're right Jac. When your puppy goes to be a family pet that is a good feeling. When your puppy goes on to do something really special it makes you feel like you are doing your small part to contribute.

One of our puppies went to a home with an autistic boy. She is going to be a therapy dog and help keep in in the "here and now" and not i his own world. One of our other puppies went to an older couple, the husband has parkinsons and alzheimer's. So she will be his companion and trained to help him as it is getting harder for him to do the everyday things.

It was bittersweet to see the older couple adopt our puppy. It was hard to see this man who was visiting us pick a puppy that he wants to have with him as his health deteriorates, but it was nice to see him find his perfect match and know that his life would be a little sweeter now...

So you are right, as much as I miss them, I know that they have gone to fulfill a greater purpose. Even as a family pet they are making someone's life more special.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts