Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DH came home from shopping a bit ago with my early 65th birthday present. My birthday isn't until July but he wanted me to have it before our daughter gets married in June. It is a Nikon D40. I also have some classes and a book (Nikon 40D/40DX for dummies.

I am so excited...the only thing that I might get as excited over would be a second doodle
:p

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
How exciting !!! Happy Early Birthday, hopefully next year Tim will get you a doodle for your birthday :D

Have fun with new camera, looking forward to lots of pictures

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He says I have to wait to read the book before I can start "messing" with it...so I have a few days to wait :p :p

·
Registered
985 Posts
Happy early birthday, Annie! I've had a D70 for several years now and just love it. I never thought I'd go completely digital, but the single lens reflex aspect and the interchangeable lenses (which was great for me because I've had standard Nikons forever so I had quite a collection) made a convert out of me. Also there's no shutter lag that I can see, which works beautifully for those action shots - or, for me, capturing that perfect expression for a portrait.

You can always put the camera on automatic mode and shoot that way while you're getting used to it. The manuals can be daunting, and the camera can do far more than you'll ever need to ask of it. Someone a couple of years ago, when we were banding shorebirds with a group of scientists, showed me how to take still photos in a rapid series, and I got a lovely set of pictures of my granddaughter releasing the birds after measuring and banding them. I guess I knew the camera could do that but hadn't thought about applications for it. Anyway, just learn the bare minimum and then play with the camera. Once you know what more you need it to do you can figure out how to do that, but you probably don't have to bother with most of it.

I found the manual to be pretty helpful. I did get one other book, which got good reviews on Amazon, but I don't use either much.

Have a ball with your new toy. Can't wait to see your photos!

Leslie

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Happy Early B-day!!! Can't wait to see your camera in action. Have fun testing it out on Tanner. :D

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the website.

Leslie, I read your post to DH so we will open the box tonight and once the battery is charged start to experiment. I can't wait to start learning about it.

All I had to do to get it was to promise DH a GPS for his birthday :p

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
OH Annie i am soooooooo happy for you and hahahha happy Tim figured out a way to get his GPS :wink:

can't wait to see pics with your NEW CAMERA!!! wow!! awesome present

·
Registered
985 Posts
annieG said:
Thanks for the website.

Leslie, I read your post to DH so we will open the box tonight and once the battery is charged start to experiment. I can't wait to start learning about it.

All I had to do to get it was to promise DH a GPS for his birthday :p
When I got my first digital camera, a Canon G2, one of the artists on my painters' list advised me to put it on automatic and get a feel for it. She had the same camera and recommended it highly. Anyway, that method has worked really well for me.

You are going to have so much fun with that!

What kind of GPS is DH getting, how did you decide, and when's his birthday? I got a Magellan, I think it was, for my DH. It's several years old now so the technology is a lot better, but he uses it a lot and enjoys it.

Leslie

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He has looked at a lot of different ones. He has a good sized refund from REI and they have some good ones...he is also going to check on Consumer Reports....I'll let you know what brand he decides on. His birthday is May 23 but that won't keep him from getting it sooner :p :p :p

·
Registered
985 Posts
Annie, when I'm interested in a purchase I check Amazon and see what kind of reviews different brands have gotten. So far that's worked well for me. Consumer Reports liked a toaster that the people who were using it on Amazon had serious problems with, I seem to recall. Anyway, it's one more source.

Leslie

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Happy EARLY Birtday Annie!! Can't wait to see your pictures with the new camera - you will have to come down here soon and take some!! (hint, hint!!! :wink: )

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Hubby is a semi driver and he has a Garmin GPS too. He likes it EXCEPT it doesn't always differenciate between truck routes and NONtruck routes. If you're not driving a semi they're great. LOL

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Which Garmin...DH says there are several ...and no I don't see a semi in our future :p :p

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I think Tanner is a bit sick of posing.....

Here a few of my first attempts on auto

I've got lots to learn but the best part is that Tanner doesn't shy away from this camera like he did the last one :wink:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts