Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want him to like it. I want to have an option for boarding in case of emergency. I could be a little crazy... :p

He's been there a few times now and I always get the feeling that it is stressful for him. I watch him on the webcam and see him mostly walking and circling. He never relaxes and always watches the door. I know he likes to be with other dogs but a full day of it and being away from his "people" seems to take its toll. When I pick him up he is tired but not happy tired, just stressed tired.

Yesterday he spent the day at Camp and when I picked him up they told me he had vomited a couple times in the afternoon. It was just bile. And I think it was just due to stress.

So... should I try alternative day care? Or is the separation just not good for my doodle?

Deb

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
awh poor Charlie. I would try another daycare to see how he reacts...I think it's a very good idea to have an emergency place. Does he go to a dog park ever? If not you may want to try taking him to some so he gets used to such a large number of dogs.

There are some daycare places that have larger outsice areas...I am thinking of taking ours for a trial to one of those for a trial to see how they do...I think a week at Camp Bow Wow was a bit much (more for Dex than Kirby - Kirby seemed totally not stressed when we got them).

It is possible daycare isn't for Charlie but I would try giving another place a try.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Deb......how about a playmate for charlie?
i am not joking, i am serious.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
We have tried 3 different doggy daycares to find the right one for Tanner. First was too small and he would come home stinky and dirty needing a bath each time.

Second was too large. It has a good reputation and I would use it again in an emergency but he was not excited to go there.

The one he has been going to now since last May is just right for HIM. His groomer is there, the owner and his wife are there every day and the three full time attendants are the same. They know all the dogs, have halloween parties for them....Tanner just runs in and goes behind the counter to be let in. They mix large and small dogs. The will take dogs out for rests, feed them mid-day if they need it, take for walks, do training, give meds, they will do special requests.

Now my daughter's Doxie has gone for a few times to Tanner's favorite place and he is not eager to go and he is one that stays by the door or fence outside waiting for his owner.

I think I would look around and see if there are other facilities in your area and see if it makes a difference to Charlie.

Maybe arranging for a play date with a single dog or two would help him with being around many dogs.

Deb, I think it is very good that you are listening to Charlie...good luck :wink:

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the thoughtful replies. Charlie does play often with other dogs. We have play dates with his favorites and he goes to agility class weekly. He also likes the dog parks. Since the weather is cooler, he is rarely with a large group of dogs but he's never had an issue with that. I think his main issue at Camp BowWow was separation from me. :cry:

Gene, you are right about him waiting at the door for mom...

Annmarie, we do play dates and will likely get another foster dog soon. I'm no so worried about his socialization as I am that we have a backup day care and/or boarding plan in case we need it. For example, the reason he was at CBW yesterday was because I had fallen and have a mild concussion. I needed a doodle-free day of rest.

Annie, Leslie, I think I will look at other facilities. Annie, our groomer does day care and boarding and maybe that is a better choice for him. It will certainly be smaller and more intimate.

Thanks again everyone. It means alot to me that you are taking my concerns seriously. I think my husband thought I was a little nuts when I suggested that Charlie didn't like CBW. :roll: It's hard to always know what a doodle is thinking but I do try!

Deb

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
You do have to crawl into your doodle's head Deb. I can see where you're coming from. Only you can detect and understand the stress he might be going through.
It's also the vomiting that got me. That's a real sign of stress.
When Bogie goes to daycare, I watch him on the cam and I cans see that other dogs are just not quite happy. He's adjusted well, but that's not what happens to all.
Do try to find a place he'll be comfortable with for emergencies. You do need a back up.
Good Luck!

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Thanks again everyone. It means alot to me that you are taking my concerns seriously. I think my husband thought I was a little nuts when I suggested that Charlie didn't like CBW. It's hard to always know what a doodle is thinking but I do try!
haha...I got a good laugh at this. We worry so much about our doodles too so I feel your pain.

I totally agree that having an emergency back-up is very important...good luck :)

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Maybe he is worrying about when you will be back. Maybe you need to do it a few times till he gets the idea that you are coming back everytime. Just like when you train them to do something new. It takes a few times. Just a idea. Cacao doesn't like getting in the car. I think she worries about were we are going. The whole ride she gives that oh my god face. Like she is telling me I am so sorry I took the boys sock and hide them under your bed today, I won't do it again if you just let me stay with you. I think she thinks she is moving out of our house. (I always take toys for her to chew on, and play with.)

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Is there an option for boarding 1/2 the day and daycare the other half? That way he could get a rest after all the stimulation in the morning. This is what I arrange for Cali when I go out of town. Some dogs can take the full day, but for others it is just too much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts