Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For awhile we were considering breeding our Coco...getting with the breeder we bought her from....for a stud and help....but then decided after meeting another breeder...we like her better for doodles.

Soooo, having to be nursemaid for Philip all summer, I kept postponing having Coco spayed. ( We are going to be a guardian for the new breeder beginning in December....and this one will be bred.)
Well, I waited TOO long and Coco is in heat. Geesh! I have an appointment to have her fixed soon after she is over this...Is that going to be OK for her? She doesn't have a choice....because she must be spayed since we've definitely decided. I think I have read that the sooner the better.....and not catching it before her first heat....have I really screwed things up?
Also, is there such a thing as PMS in dogs?? She is sure acting moody.

8)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Our little one was spayed after her first heat--we wanted to have it done sooner, but she had been too sick. She is fine and going through a heat has not caused any problems.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
From the reading I have done each heat cycle indcreses the incidence of cancer. One cycle is a little increase, two is a bigger jump, 3 is another increase, and after that the incidence doesnt change with spay or not. I'll look into the reference for you if you want to see numbers. To put your mind at ease, the increase after one cycle was really small, so i dont think you have done too much harm. It was the 2nd and 3rd heats that cause a substantial increase in risk.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Jane honey I don't have a clue on PMS and a dog in heat....cats I know about , but peanut is my 1st female dog and she got spayed at 6mos

oh congrats on the guardian dog :D

and i guess i can call coco HOT COCO now hahhaaaaaaaaaaa

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
PMS in Dogs!!

PMS in dogs Yes,,thats where the word Bitch came from :lol:
You arent breeding her? thats ashame ,,just is just beautiful

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A guardian home....
at least with the breeder that I have recently met
(....and she is having a litter in 10 days or so, and out of it she will pick a "breeder" for her program.)
Between 8 and 10 weeks old she is giving us a puppy she has chosen ...she will be our forever dog....with a contract with the breeder to breed her three times, depending upon how it goes....and after her two year old tests are done to be for sure that she should be bred at all...

We raise her and train her and pay for all the normal expenses....except for any tests for breeding purposes, etc....the breeder will pay for those...
When she is about 2, we will take her to the breeder to be matched with one of her studs.
She will sell the puppies, we get one to keep, or sell.
Depending upon whether we go on and become small time breeders, or not....will depend upon how many we keep or if we just sell them.
I can take her to the breeder for whelping, which I will do....and then when the pups are weaned and able to go to their forever homes...I will bring our dog home and maybe a puppy, too.

She has a contract being drawn up, as she has only used friends and family before. I really like this gal...she is reputable and has a gorgeous operation with beautiful dogs....( what doodle isn't??) :)
I can actually go out in a couple of weeks to be there when Midge has her pups....to observe. I have met the dogs before...I will be mentored, so to speak, on the breeding process and business and learn a lot....to help us better decide if we want to do this for ourselves. We'd have to move probably.....We'll see. This is a great way for us to have hands-on experience and knowledge about the whole thing and make a more intelligent decision as to our future involvement. People become guardians that aren't at all interested in breeding on their own....and there are many different arrangements made between breeder and guardians....a contract should be involved.

Some of you breeders may have more to explain about this than I know so far....it sounds like great fun, plus we will have another DOODLE! :)

Coco is in her little diaper pants....she hates them! Though it does save the couch she is allowed on. :roll: How long out of the three weeks in heat do they actually bleed? The whole time? ? I can't remember. :roll:

Also, it was hard to decide about breeding Coco....but I think it is best not to. We aren't prepared to take the whole breeding business on yet...and though it would be at least another year for her to breed...Two years out with the other pup will be better.....

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
heat

heat cycles last awhile they bleed the first part and after bleeding stops is when they can tie with a male, i forget how many days,, i dont have to keep up with it my boys normally let me know when its time,,LOL

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I'm sure the breeders here can answer more exactly, but I remember reading 7 in (no bleeding), 7 on (bleeding), and 7 out (no bleeding) for 21 days of heat.

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Jane...i am sooooo happy someone else has written MORE than me hahahhaaa!!!

2 doodles is fun but just imagine tink, jac, maureen, nancy and the others with 4 to more doodles plus puppies....time committment is huge.
it is with a 2nd doodle but still there is more freedom in certain ways.

Congrats on doodle puppy #2..with Coco being around 13 mos when you get your puppy, it won't be as bad as having them a few months apart in age. :D :D :D

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Yes i agree

lots of time commitment ,,you give up alot
also you may want to keep in mind, when its time for the dog you get , to be bred ,she will have to go live with the breeder for appx 3mths,normally its a month before they whelp ,thru the time the pups are weaned,
i know i couldnt do that, it would break my heart, takes a strong person

i was going to do a couple of guardian homes, but i would be so worried about my dogs and then the family when their dog would have to come back here during that time, how heart breaking,

I think im just going to sell the ones i had held back for breeding to a breeder i just met if she wants them or spay them too and place them\

by the way, i have almost all my adults placed that i had set aside to place, now all that is left is one black female (spaying soon) and parti boy and girls, wooohooo,,i can breathe1!!! all went to just awsome homes ,i feel like the weight of the world has been taken off my shoulders and my sweet kids have their special places :)

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Nancy that is such great news...congrats!! :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, the time commitment is huge!....but so has homeschooling been major time, emotional, and "work" commitment....and I don't mind that, with dogs it will just be different....

And yes, to have our dog out with the breeder will be hard....but, I think it will be ok....possibly we can go see her....I know it might be best not to do that since she may be upset we arent' taking her with when we leave...we'll see.

Glad to hear you placed all the puppies!! I imagine that is hard to give them up, even though necessary and having the peace that you have them in good homes....it still must be hard on you.

Thanks for your input, things to think about for sure.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
One heat cycle shouldn't hurt her as long as you're VERY vigilant not to let her find a boyfriend.

As for her mood... imagine having an itch and can't reach it... only it lasts for days and you COULD reach it if those doggone people would just let you free for a bit! She'll be back to herself soon.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
You explained the guardian homes pretty well some breeders do things a little different but all have contracts to protect them and the guardian.

I have 2 in guardian homes and would have all in them if I could find homes, they get so much more one on one. I actually help my families groom the dogs and keep them when they are out of town just so the dogs stay use to me.

I actaully had Murphy here yesterday grooming him will be a year old this month his is my avitarright now. What a sweetheart he is and a coat of silk I can't wait to use him. Layla is here now she is due the 12th she has been here for a week now and will stay until well after her pups are weaned at least until she can't tolerate them anymore. :x

·
Registered
150 Posts
Jane...that's awesome! It sounds like a great way to learn about the process of breeding. Keep us posted...

About the PMS...do they still go through PMS (become moody) if they are spayed?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts