Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I try to walk at least 15 miles a week if not more. In the past, I had to walk alone because my Springer was, although a GREAT dog, a bit aggressive with other dogs. That led to some really unpleasant experiences. It mad me fearful to take him, because if another dog was around or especially loose........he'd lunge out and start barking and get into fights. :roll:
Well, my husband has been prepping Bogie for walks on his leash. Today, I took him for about half a mile!! It was SO NEAT!! He did very well and kept up nicely speed walking and even some jogging.
We met Henry........a beautiful Standard Poodle in the neighborhood and they got along so well!! Then last week, my husband had him out and he met El........the Labradoodle down the street!! They played in El's yard!
This is so exciting for me! I can't wait to walk him tomorrow!!
He's in for a real treat, because I hope by this Spring, he can do 3-5 miles with me???? HUH? What do ya think? Is that too much to expect?.......for a doodle who will be over six months by March?
I wanted to take him longer today but thought maybe he shouldn't overdo it........any thoughts on how long one should walk a doodle at 3 months old?

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Linda, I read a post somewhere that you shouldn't take doodles on long walks and no running until they are full grown, can hurt their bones - don't remember the post but I'm sure one of our knowledgeable breeders can help on this one.

It's so nice that he gets along well with other doggies and even had a play date - way to go Bogie !! :D

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh-oh Mary.........thanks.........need to look into this then.
Pooey....I wonder how long long is!!??

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Linda for now a mile walk at a time is good for a 12 week ( aka 3mos) old puppy, as their ligaments and tendons are growing etc

Too much vigorous exercise, excessive jumping, jogging and so on can cause damage to a puppy in the 1st year of growth.

Moderate exercise seems the way most go, and I KNOW they can run ,race jump and play in the house and yard hahahhaaaa

we play frisbee with Max but not until he was 10mos old and not for long periods

you can also do a search on her as there has been posts and articles included in the past...OR you can always ask your vet :D

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Sam said:
You mean the doodle 500 could potentially be harmful to Sam? :shock: :shock: :shock:
I think the Doodle 500 is different because it is under their control, they decide when to start and stop and how fast. Any other opinions?

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the Doodle 500 is different because it is under their control, they decide when to start and stop and how fast. Any other opinions?
:lol: :lol: :lol: What else is new??? Holds true for most doodly things..............haha!

So then I'm okay with a half mile?...........cool!! :D

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
We started doing 2 separate 1/2 mile walkes (one in the am and one in the pm) when Dex started walking. Then when he got a bit older (maybe 5-6 months) we would make one of the 2 walks 1 mile (1.5 miles per day total) and then at some point went to 2 miles per day. That's pretty much our standard now (unless I'm really adventurous).

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Annmarie gave great advice.

We have walked Tanner about the same as Leslie has walked her doodles. We got Tanner at 4 months and from then to 7 months he walked about 1/2 mile 2-3 times a day. Then increased it to 1 mile but 2 times a day. When he was 9-12 months I occasionally walked him 2 miles. Once I walked him 3 miles and I could tell he was sore the next day. What I use to do with my previous dog was walk her 1 mile, drop her off at the house and then go for another mile or two on my own.

We have taken Tanner hiking but that is a bit different because he sets his pace, running back and forth...not the forced continuous pace of an exercise walk.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts