Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kryczek is almost 5 months old and STILL won't eat consistantly. I have switched his food and I know he likes the Canidae lamb and rice, but will only nibble on it. When we get desperate for him to eat, we will add some soft Innova/EVO to it and he loves it, but will lick all the soft off and leave the hard. I have mixed it in well too. He is supposed to be a mini to a medium size doodle that the breeders past pups have reached 30-40 lbs, but he is only 12 lbs currently! He has just a couple training treats during the day, and he chews on his bully stick, but just doesn't show that he is ever "hungry" when to me he should be...we don't give him table scraps either. I have posted on his eating habits before (although it was in regards to vitamins). Should I just not worry and if he wants to eat he will, instead of "timing" him? We have even tried leaving his food down and that didn't make a difference. I do understand that if the food is there, he won't starve himself (I hope...), but I am a worry wart.

Thanks for any help in advance :)

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
This is one of the reasons we switched to raw with Hershey. Your situation sounds exactly like ours, it was so hard to get Hershey to eat. Try some ground beef and see if Kryczek eats it up. Mix 2 parts ground beef with 1 part hot water, to warm it up and volatize the odour. If he likes it, you know he wants to eat and is just picky about kibble. You may not want to switch to raw meat forever, but it could be a good test to know if there is something more fundamentally wrong with the not eating.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
some dogs are just pickey eaters, but since it's an ongoing problem, I'd check with your vet and make sure there is nothing physically wrong with Kryczek.

Is that his only problem, is he playful, has energy etc?

He eats the soft food without a problem, you could always feed him that, but I would still check with my Vet, make sure he doesnt have any digestive issues or something else going on

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He is very playful...full of energy! (He runs so much more now that the snow is melting LOL) so that part makes me feel better. I have not taken him to the vet since he does wolf down his treats with vigor (although, this is where the pickiness comes in: he loved cheese, but then got a taste of jerky treats from class, not he snubs the cheese) and likes his Kong with the paste in the morning when I go to work (he gets about a Tbs. in it).

·
Registered
9,243 Posts
I agree that you should have a vet check him out to be certain that there is not an underlying physical issue. (Addison's disease comes to mind when dogs don't eat...) But you pup is tiny and probably only eats tiny amounts. Although the siblings are larger, if the breeder used a standard sized dog and bred to a toy Poodle, there is a chance that some of the pups will be toy sized. This could be the case.
I would continue to feed good food (I am not opposed to raw, I think it is a healthy way to feed) and keep trying to find something that your pup likes and will eat. Poodles are picky eaters and often will go without eating for a couple of days...so it is not really that surprising.
Some Doodles and Poodles just like to eat bites of food now and again, which could be what your pup is doing with the treats.
Be sure to give a good multivitamin and feed the food that you feel best about. (We free feed kibble and give canned food morning and night.)
But, I can't emphasize enough the importance of a vet check to ensure good health.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The other thing to keep in mind is his age. When Emily was about 5 months old she went through a phase of refusing food. It got me really worried. I then was told that some puppies do that when they are starting to loose their teeth and will do that for a month or so. I kept her on Canidae. She is now 8 months old and eats her bowl in 5 minutes....

Maria and Emily

·
Banned
5,918 Posts
Dexter went through one very brief stage where he didn't want to eat - I think this was around 5 months. I agree with Jac though - better to get him checked out.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I think I found a combination of two things that work :) First I shave some Natural Balance and sprinkle it on his food, but I also got him a larger dog dish. For some reason, having a larger dish has helped. Crazy, isn't it? LOL

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
For some reason, having a larger dish has helped. Crazy, isn't it? LOL
No, it is not crazy. We replaced Tanner's dog dish and he immediately started eating better....go figure :p

·
Registered
15,203 Posts
Max did that to us...peanut was briefly and BEAU only for a short time frame

I did go to feeding 2 times a day instead of 3 with peanut and beau at around 5.5 to 6mos old and all are on Canidae, this seemed to help along with putting a tidbit of pineapple and/or pumpkin in their food during these stages

1 - 10 of 10 Posts