Labradoodle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After realizing that my husband doesn't do such a great job training Spooky I have decided to participate if not take over his training. I spent 15 minutes with Spooky and trained him to sit and look at me when I ask for things. I repeat his training every day and now he is so good at it that he won't jump on me anymore. After he got good with "sit" command I have decided to teach him "down". I am not kidding when I say it took me 2 minutes to teach him that. When my husband got home I showed what Spooky can do and he could not believe it. I am now doing both commands separately every day for 15 minutes. Also when I am around Spooky doesn't seem to pee in the house but when my husband is around he goes where ever he wants. :roll: I am going to start working on "speak" command next week. I don't want to teach him too much too quickly. I use the same kind of techniques as I did on my 8 year old and 13 year old dogs.

G

·
Great Job! And I would gate him in the kitchen when hubby is watching him :lol: Spooky, not your hubby :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Linda said:
Great Job! And I would gate him in the kitchen when hubby is watching him :lol: Spooky, not your hubby :lol: :lol:
Maybe I can gate them both in the kitchen. :lol:

The funny thing is my husband takes Spooky to a puppy class and yet Spooky still does what he wants and doesn't listen to my husband at all. I think the problem is my husband just gives Spooky treats whenever he wants one and then he just doesn't discipline him at all. My husband thinks all those puppy things Spooky does are cute but it won't be cute when Spooky bits him or jumps on him when he is 70lbs. I am trying really hard to train my husband to work with Spooky but it's much easier to just work with the dog instead of the husband. :shock:

·
Registered
127 Posts
This is an interesting topic. When I'm getting ready in the morning, I can hear my mother-in-law (MIL) and my twins in the living room constantly yelling, "Ginny stop it..Ginny stop it", but I don't think they ever actually make her stop doing whatever she happens to be doing. And when Ginny is home with MIL during the day, she will pee in the house even if she's been in the yard all day.

When Ginny is with hubby or me she's fine. Energetic, but not misbehaving. She rarely chews on stuff she shouldn't and she stops immediately when we say "leave it". She doesn't seem to have an issue with accidents either.

I wish there was a way to get other family members to be consistent. I've advised and purchased books for them to read. We took the twins to obedience class and had them do a lot of the exercises with Ginny. But they're 13 (enough said). :?

I'm hoping as Ginny approaches adulthood she'll mature past the others in the household and positive influences will prevail. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really LOVE working with this dog. Last night I taught him how to give me a paw. He is only 11 weeks old and seems to be catching up with things super quick. As of right now Spooky is trained to sit, down and give his paw. Right now he does it for a treat but after a month we will be doing it without treats. He is so cute when I am home he is a perfect doggie but when he is with my husband he is a terror. :roll:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts